Test Squadron Dev Team??

Ezz

Space Marshal
Feb 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Pfen
My-Star-Book.....I'm just kidding, but it would be funny to use myspace, Facebook, and Star Citizen all together.
But it would be nice to have a in game social space and If you really wanted to have a in game voice chat also.
Isn't voice chat planned? Like the webcam-face stuff? Or is that just for Sq 42?

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Amen, I wanted to hire NodeJS developers for a project once, couldn't afford it.
LAMP and LEMP stack solutions were so much cheaper.
There is nothing about NodeJS that would have made your project more successful or better that would justify a higher price for development of the same project. This is the state of web development these days: price is driven by buzz-words, not tools.

Reactions: Bambooza

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
There is nothing about NodeJS that would have made your project more successful or better that would justify a higher price for development of the same project. This is the state of web development these days: price is driven by buzz-words, not tools.
That's not really true...

Node.JS is amazing at doing asynchronous I/O without consuming huge amounts of CPU. It's also very, very quick and easy to develop in.

Thus if you have an app that expects to consist largely of asynchronous I/O, it's well worth it to use Node.JS even if the per hour cost to build it is higher. In the long run you will save money building (likely many fewer hours to build, even if higher per hour cost), and operationally you will save money on hardware expense.

That being said, if you are building with any tool purely for the sake of using that particular tool, you're doing it wrong. Academics in particular are guilty of doing that, and often.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Node.JS is amazing at doing asynchronous I/O without consuming huge amounts of CPU.
This was exactly why I was interested in it. From my understanding of it, it could allow massive amounts of customers at the same time, way more than LEMP can with the same amount of resources. From what I understood. This is why I looked into it and cost to source a NodeJS team. At the time, years ago, it was too new-ish and costs were too high for putting together a dev team. at the time.

Reactions: Stickx1307

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
This was exactly why I was interested in it. From my understanding of it, it could allow massive amounts of customers at the same time, way more than LEMP can with the same amount of resources. From what I understood. This is why I looked into it and cost to source a NodeJS team. At the time, years ago, it was too new-ish and costs were too high for putting together a dev team. at the time.
Certainly the newer a tech is, the harder it's going to be to find good people who know how to use it well. In that case you're paying for use of the bleeding edge and unless you absolutely need the bleeding edge it's probably not worth the extra cost, as you found out. :)

It doesn't mean the tech is bad, it just means the supply of devs is outweighed by the demand.

As the tech matures this becomes less and less the case unless it fundamentally disrupts an industry in which case the costs stay very high because new people can't learn it as fast as it is being applied by businesses. That's the case with several techs recently - AI for example, and likely blockchain.

Reactions: maynard

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

Node.JS is amazing at doing asynchronous I/O without consuming huge amounts of CPU. It's also very, very quick and easy to develop in.

Thus if you have an app that expects to consist largely of asynchronous I/O, it's well worth it to use Node.JS even if the per hour cost to build it is higher. In the long run you will save money building (likely many fewer hours to build, even if higher per hour cost), and operationally you will save money on hardware expense.

That being said, if you are building with any tool purely for the sake of using that particular tool, you're doing it wrong. Academics in particular are guilty of doing that, and often.
What I said is there is nothing about NodeJS that would have made his project more successful or better that would justify a higher price for development of the same project. I'm talking about the development pricing model, not the technology.

Otherwise I agree with you almost 100%.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

I would agree that Academics and even the development community at large falls prey to this all to often as the latest buzz word propagates around. Like for instance the current one is NoSQL, Scala and now Kotlin. Each has their strengths as an answer to a specific situation but often times are applied haphazardly to all things. Which is why I chuckle at work when one of my co workers takes up the torch for a new langue when so much of the financial world still uses COBOL, perl will never go away for its ease of string manipulation and so on. Of course I am and I imagine always partial to c/c++ even though I spend most of my day in Java, and I have much scorn for javascript, Python and other dynamic typed langues. But this is mostly do to personal experience with ease of maintenance for large code bases.

Reactions: Xist

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I would agree that Academics and even the development community at large falls prey to this all to often as the latest buzz word propagates around. Like for instance the current one is NoSQL, Scala and now Kotlin. Each has their strengths as an answer to a specific situation but often times are applied haphazardly to all things. Which is why I chuckle at work when one of my co workers takes up the torch for a new langue when so much of the financial world still uses COBOL, perl will never go away for its ease of string manipulation and so on. Of course I am and I imagine always partial to c/c++ even though I spend most of my day in Java, and I have much scorn for javascript, Python and other dynamic typed langues. But this is mostly do to personal experience with ease of maintenance for large code bases.
I think it actually might be a good thing in Academics, if it's done right. It does allow, or should allow, students to explore the limits and ramifications of technology decisions before they make a big mess in, for example, my projects. Or. It is an opportunity to allow them to do that. Maybe a missed opportunity in some cases. It's funny that you mentioned NoSQL by the way. Just to say, we DO have a very useful place for things like NoSQL, but in the industry I work in, we often spend months having to teach things like relational theory and statistics to computer science grads.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Lol I wish it was so simple. They just hired on a new Senior VP of Innovation and Technology who feels NoSQL is the wave of the future and we need to remove all of the relational database and cache for it. This is for accounting software were detailed linear transactional events are sort of a requirement.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
Nothing wrong with MEAN stack. The Angular/NodeJS stuff is particularly useful for enterprise web apps by the way, you'll learn a lot of useful stuff.
That is the truth. I'm working on an integration with ServiceNow using some Angular js.

Forgot your password?