The best weapon in 1.15.1

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Okey, so with the ballistics getting nerfed to hell, and laser weapons sent right there after them, you might be asking "Well, what weapon should I fill my ship with?"
The answer is real simple.
Ballistic cannons.

A Hornet with all gimballed ballistic cannon setup does 2867 sustained dps for a total of 172000 damage.
The same hornet with, let's say FL-22 laser cannons, only does 1114 sustained dps, for those too inebriated to do any math whatsoever, that is less than half.
Not to mention that, if you want to use laser weapons you got to put some power to the weapons. Meanwhile, with ballistics you can put all of your power to shields and engines. Who wouldn't want more dps with less power required? (And btw, if we allocated ALL of the power to the weapons for our energy weapon Hornet, it'd still only do 1565 sustained dps.)

So yeah, ballistic cannons don't really suffer from the same ammunition nerf as gatlin guns and repeaters. That 172000 damage is enough to blow up a hammerhead if you want to, though you should try not to miss.You need 130k damage for it. And you got to keep targeting the same part. But if you can do that, then it's just a short 45 second battle instead of taking 2 minutes.

And that's just a hornet. A 600i can go whopping 6563 sustained dps. That'll down that pesky Hammerhead in just under 20 seconds. Unlike a hornet, a 600i won't be dodging any shots though, so, might wanna be a bit careful there. In between those, there is Vanguard Harbinger, which gets 4285 sustained dps. Not too shabby at all.

Now, the annoying part of ballistics is that you got to go home to reload.
The second annoying thing about ballistics is that you got to actually travel home instead of just respawning there.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well I whon't dump energy wepons all togheter, it really depend on the ship and on the situation.
Back in 3.14 I dumped the M7A on the nose of my wanguard for a Deathbolt 5 while still pairing it with 4 bestpoke laser repeater and I find that a good combination: repeater will provide the long-engagement weapons with enogh puch for doing significan damage to small ship, while the S5 cannon, limited to 70 round, will geve you the "big slap" either ti hip-shooting small target or to punch the bigger one.

During Xenotreath I was mostly usign a Hornet Ghost armet with 1xS3 laser repeater on the nose, 2x S2 laser repeater on the turret and a pair of S3 deathbolt on the wings. Again while laser will provide the long term weapons for prolonged combat, the two wing mounted ballistic cannon provide the extra punch to finish off small target or give a big slap the medium size one.

So if you are doing BH mission and can afford to refuel and rearm in a nerby station a full ballistc load out is sure a better choice, especially if you have a good trigger discipline, otherwise a combination of both type should be better providing both the big slap and some weapons to a long engagement.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?