The Big Cat Cometh

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Tour of the Javelin. My take:

I like that it looks dirty and lived in, so long as you can order bots to clean it up. The hand smudges all over make it look lived in.

I do not understand the reason for 15 turrets each with a pair of S7 guns for larger ships, and a pair of S5 guns for smaller ones. When would you choose S5s over S7s? Does this mean the big S7 gattlings will need to conserve ammo?

I think the lighting needs work. Too dark in too much of the ship.

I like the RSI look and this raises my expectations for the Polaris, but I think once again many of the rooms and hallways are too large to feel like military vessels, or vessels of any kind.

Also check out the Redeemer down on the surface and the F8 Lightning.

View: https://youtu.be/YH8znCWEPXk

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Someone glitched into the Redeemer interior. Looks FUBAR to me. The new interior has no room for cargo I can see, no cargo loader, no upper deck with the galley, and seems mostly wasted space. Very disappointing. They should have just left the thing alone.

Pick it up at time index 1:40:

View: https://youtu.be/fkFUlDv3NWw

Reactions: Vavrik

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I do not understand the reason for 15 turrets each with a pair of S7 guns for larger ships, and a pair of S5 guns for smaller ones. When would you choose S5s over S7s? Does this mean the big S7 gattlings will need to conserve ammo?
I think it's more like the S7s have somewhat hard time hitting smaller targets. If you enable 3rd person view and look around you'll notice that the turret is actually split into two, with the smaller guns tracking much faster than the big ones.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Someone glitched into the Redeemer interior. Looks FUBAR to me. The new interior has no room for cargo I can see, no cargo loader, no upper deck with the galley, and seems mostly wasted space. Very disappointing. They should have just left the thing alone.

Pick it up at time index 1:40:

View: https://youtu.be/fkFUlDv3NWw
I don't remember the Redeemer ever having cargo capacity. Did it?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It not only had rear cargo capacity, it had it's own dedicated cargo winch that ran down the ventral side of the tail. You can see it in this animation, time index 2:35:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTE_nJWiU4w

My issue is that when CIG decided to tweek it, they broke their own rule--that the ship had to have a blind spot--by adding a rear-facing turret. When they did that they put the aft control surfaces upward facing instead of downward, which doesn't look half as cool, in order to improve the fire arc of the new turret. They also apparently removed the cargo winch, two of the seats, the entire second floor and galley, and left a bunch of empty space.

I'm hard pressed to find a single improvement. FUBAR. If I'd paid for this half decade ago I'd be pissed.

Reactions: Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Tour of the Javelin. My take:

I like that it looks dirty and lived in, so long as you can order bots to clean it up. The hand smudges all over make it look lived in.

I like the RSI look and this raises my expectations for the Polaris, but I think once again many of the rooms and hallways are too large to feel like military vessels, or vessels of any kind

View: https://youtu.be/YH8znCWEPXk
I am honestly tired of the dirty lived in look with smudged glass I cannot clean or see through when sunlight shines on it. I hope its simply the needs to be clean tile set and not the default clean state.

The S5 guns are detached from the S7 guns allowing faster tracking speed of the smaller turret for small fast targets.

The hallways are for AI pathfinding and to allow for interesting combat when either attempting to take over the ship or defend it from hostile actions. But mostly its to allow AI to successfully move around the environment with out creating to much of a load on the server.

It not only had rear cargo capacity, it had it's own dedicated cargo winch that ran down the ventral side of the tail. You can see it in this animation, time index 2:35:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTE_nJWiU4w

My issue is that when CIG decided to tweek it, they broke their own rule--that the ship had to have a blind spot--by adding a rear-facing turret. When they did that they put the aft control surfaces upward facing instead of downward, which doesn't look half as cool, in order to improve the fire arc of the new turret. They also apparently removed the cargo winch, two of the seats, the entire second floor and galley, and left a bunch of empty space.

I'm hard pressed to find a single improvement. FUBAR. If I'd paid for this half decade ago I'd be pissed.
Its far from unexpected. The original concept would work great as a ship in a single player game but in a multiplayer game it accomplished too many tasks and breaks the need for other roles. Thus the redeemer needed to either be a fighter, a gunship, a military transport or a dropship. And it looks like they picked its role to be mostly a gunship with some drop ship capabilities and so I am not surprised it doesn't have room for cargo and lost the winch.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The original concept would work great as a ship in a single player game but in a multiplayer game it accomplished too many tasks and breaks the need for other roles.
I used to believe that, and then they gave the Valkyrie cargo plates. So now it carries more guns, more troops, and more cargo than the ship they told us broke the need for other ships. I no longer believe that explanation. It makes no sense to me. I think it really matters who whines loudly enough. The Vanguard pilots ought to get together and whine, wait and see if we get cargo plates.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I used to believe that, and then they gave the Valkyrie cargo plates. So now it carries more guns, more troops, and more cargo than the ship they told us broke the need for other ships. I no longer believe that explanation. It makes no sense to me. I think it really matters who whines loudly enough. The Vanguard pilots ought to get together and whine, wait and see if we get cargo plates.
You're right in that I am sure the whine factors in on choices made as they did relinquish some of the stance that the Valkyrie will have no cargo grid and instead gave it limited cargo plates in the place where the pilot has to choose between cargo or a vehicle. In some ways I would agree the Valkyrie would require limited cargo plates to allow it to bring supplies for the ground forces its supporting as its expected to be engaged in larger scale battles where drop roles for ships like the Redeemer and Prowler would benefit from smaller surgical strike forces and not be ready to support a more protracted battle and thus would not be as necessary to bring along supplies.

But this gets more into justifications for the change as I am sure as you stated was more a reaction to the salt.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Uhm... the Redeemer has way more firepower than the Valkyrie though. Like... way more.

2xS5 for top, that alone is 3k dps overclocked for 5.2km range (using CF-557, don't know any S5 ballistic gatlings yet). For comparison, that's roughly the same as the whole Valkyrie (3.4k dps, excluding the S1 door guns that you probably wouldn't use in space) with overclocked FL-33s that only have 3.4km range. Now, Valkyrie could get some more DPS (to 4k), but then the range would only be around 2.1 km.

2xS5 for bottom, so Redeemer is already doing basically twice what the entire Valkyrie does with just the top and bottom turrets.
Then throw in 2xS3 for front remote turret and 2xS3 for rear remote turret and the pilots 2xS4, and you got like 3 times the DPS of Valkyrie.
And Redeemer has missiles.

So yeah, Valkyrie is more of a dropship, but Redeemer is one angry gunship.

Forgot your password?