The Brew

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
But what I have is still good, and is depleting at a steady rate.
What?! Time to brew some more.

Just got my porter extract kit, but will add another pound of DME to the wort in the last 15-10 min of boil to help bring up the ABV. Gonna be my first 5gal kit. Still gotta go through all my bottles, clean and de-label.

I'm hoping this summer or fall to do a long-term brew. One that is just a couple weeks in the primary, and then about 6 months in the secondary. Really want to make my own clone of Dragon's Milk, if you haven't had it before...get it. Nice strong bourbon barrel aged stout at about 11%, but can be pricey.

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Update from the porter, in the end it turned out to become a robust porter. The name? Innsmouth Robust Porter, guess where that reference is from.

Currently have five gallons of imperial Russian stout aging, will let it sit for about a month and then bottle.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
While awesome in theory my experience is that Home Brewing takes way to long. Much easier to by buy at the store and then drink as soon as it at the right temperature, instead of 5 weeks later. Could you imagine @Blind Owl having to wait 5 weeks before enjoying a beer?

Of course I am all in favor of recipes for home brews.
I see @Blind Owl getting through making the mash at which point he'd get impatient, consume all of the ingredients, then have @CrudeSasquatch shake him over his head until they both feel drunk.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I don't generally drink alcohol, but I've often been interested in the distilling of alcohol. I find the methods & techniques used on the show Moonshiners absolutely fascinating. While I have never attempted to distill or brew any sort of alcohol so far, I'm happily down to assist however I can.

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
So thinking of doing a long term brew (about six months or longer) this fall or early winter. One of the people I work with at my company makes his own whiskey as a family business. He has been nice enough to offer me a tour of this distillery and a bunch of their oak chips dripping with whiskey, the ones they use for aging.
I'm planning to use these in the secondary fermentation (about five or so months there). Anyone had experience using oak chip aging? Was thinking of putting them in a sanitized brew bag and let it sit in secondary 7-gal container.

The other question part of this. I'm also looking at it being a higher ABV, about 10% or above, so I'm thinking of using a liquid yeast. Anyone ever used those before? If so, what brand and strain?

Hoping to make a heavy hitting aged imperial stout.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So thinking of doing a long term brew (about six months or longer) this fall or early winter. One of the people I work with at my company makes his own whiskey as a family business. He has been nice enough to offer me a tour of this distillery and a bunch of their oak chips dripping with whiskey, the ones they use for aging.
I'm planning to use these in the secondary fermentation (about five or so months there). Anyone had experience using oak chip aging? Was thinking of putting them in a sanitized brew bag and let it sit in secondary 7-gal container.

The other question part of this. I'm also looking at it being a higher ABV, about 10% or above, so I'm thinking of using a liquid yeast. Anyone ever used those before? If so, what brand and strain?

I recall watching something similar in a pair of episodes of the show Moonshiners about a year ago.

D

Deleted member 6105

We make wine up here, kinda family thing. Have also whipped up a few batches of mead. Last year I tried a new experiment I read about. Whipped up a full demijohn of mead, put in a water lock, covered the cap and most of the way up the lock with wax, then we sunk it in the river here at the end of November, its been sitting at 42 feet deep in water averaging about 2C since then. I'm waiting for the ice to get off the river so we can safely recover it.

Jasum

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Jasum

A buddy and I did something similar to this last fall. We didn’t use a brew bag, but otherwise the same method. A couple things we noticed is that adding whiskey along with the wood chips is a great idea and helps bump up the abv. I think it was like 12oz of whiskey for a 5 gal batch.

Another think is that we kegged after 2 months, and it was about another month or two before if reached its prime. I assume if it’d lasted much longer it might’ve kept improving.

Let us know how it goes!

Forgot your password?