The Coronavirus Explained & What You Should Do

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Yesterday, in NY there were 3038 cases of which 1332 were new. That is, the number of infected got multiplied by about 1.76.
Today, few hours ago, there were 5369 cases of which 2331 were new. That is, the number of infected got multiplied by about 1.76.

If this keeps up, then in 13 days, there will be 8.3 million infected in NY, or about the population of NYC. Not to incite panic, it's unlikely that absolutely everyone would get sick, but if you live in New York, it's time to take self isolation seriously.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yesterday, in NY there were 3038 cases of which 1332 were new. That is, the number of infected got multiplied by about 1.76.
Today, few hours ago, there were 5369 cases of which 2331 were new. That is, the number of infected got multiplied by about 1.76.

If this keeps up, then in 13 days, there will be 8.3 million infected in NY, or about the population of NYC. Not to incite panic, it's unlikely that absolutely everyone would get sick, but if you live in New York, it's time to take self isolation seriously.
I can't believe there are people NOT taking it seriously. They really don't fucking get it, at all.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I can't believe there are people NOT taking it seriously. They really don't fucking get it, at all.
It's okay, they stocked up on toilet roll - they are well prepared.

It may well be the planets biggest joke. I sincerely hope gazing at their 106 toilet rolls while on their sick bed and then for the two/three months after they recover while they work through them gives them a proper sense of perspective on what they did, because I very much doubt anything else will.

Smithory

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2019
RSI Handle
Sm1tty
It's okay, they stocked up on toilet roll - they are well prepared.

It may well be the planets biggest joke. I sincerely hope gazing at their 106 toilet rolls while on their sick bed and then for the two/three months after they recover while they work through them gives them a proper sense of perspective on what they did, because I very much doubt anything else will.
Times like this make me laugh when the news comes on and says someone was arrested with 2,000 rounds of ammunition, because all I can think about is that is just enough for for a Saturday morning for me 🤣

other than that people really need to understand that you really shouldn't be going out to buy everything during this. It just causes the spread even more and forces elderly and those with small children not able to get what they need by panic buying. If everyone just shopped normally the shelves wouldn't have been empty. /rant

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
Good PSA... My wife and I have just been shaking our heads at the number of people that should know better but still went on trips this week for spring break. Some are even messaging telling friends that didn't make it out of the country because of closures and travel bans they should come to join them it's great here. Not sure what it will take for some to realize how stupid and selfish they are being. I had a stent put in about a month ago after coming really close to a heart attack (was having chest pain and such). My wife has pretty much had me locked away since the beginning of last week.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

It’s likely those people already had it, but we just did not know it. This is why testing is so important, how many people out there have it, what the true progression is for the majority of the population, etc. this can only be known if we know the true number of cases. This is also why social distancing is important. No, you may not have contact with loved ones that are vulnerable,, but if you have it or contract it, and you don’t take precautions, you could pass it along to someone that does have a vulnerable person. for instance, the person working the checkout line at the grocery store Who can’t help but work because they are critical right now.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So after asking politely for people not to go to pubs, bars and restaurants, the UK government has ordered them closed to everything but take-away. Not a bad move but one wonders why they were being left open in the first place if no one was supposed to go to them...? Cinemas, Gyms and other things to follow.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

It’s likely those people already had it, but we just did not know it. This is why testing is so important, how many people out there have it, what the true progression is for the majority of the population, etc. this can only be known if we know the true number of cases. This is also why social distancing is important. No, you may not have contact with loved ones that are vulnerable,, but if you have it or contract it, and you don’t take precautions, you could pass it along to someone that does have a vulnerable person. for instance, the person working the checkout line at the grocery store Who can’t help but work because they are critical right now.
I'm actually working with some data now about infection rates (I'll try to post later). Based on earlier reports, a 33% infection rate is a pretty good estimate, although that is from countries that implemented quarentines and social restrictions early on.

If we are seeing a higher infection rate, it could be mean a higher infection rate, or it could just be that we are catching up with testing, or an effect of not having implemented social distancing and restriction measures earlier. Or, all the above.

Reactions: Blind Owl and FZD
Forgot your password?