The Elder Scrolls Online

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I played for a while. Only stopped because I no longer had time. For me the ESO+ membership was a must purely for the infinite amount of crafting/gathering materials you can store in your crafting bag. Inventory space gets used up quickly. Also get a mount when you can, which is a no-brainer in almost any game where travel is significant, and don't forget to level up its speed/durability etc I think it was once a day. I played through the main story and side quests of one of the three factions, I believe it was Ebon Heart Pact. At the end you get the option of questing in the other 2 factions as well. Definitely a lot of hours can be put into it. Most mobs scaled with your level which was helpful because you could generally go almost anywhere. I think I used a few map addons, the most helpful were the gathering materials locations and the quest locations one. I can understand if someone would want to leave out the quest locations addon because it is a great game for just exploring but I didn't want to miss anything, lol.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
After you mentioned it I've been watching some vids (mainly that 3 hour starter one and another one from Dottz). I do want to play it, but I'm a lil concerned that its overly complicated. I say this in that I am not interested in crafting, and apparently I have to worry about weapon enchants, traits, and other mods for them & armor, and that is crap I hate to have to worry about. While I'm sure i'd get used to it, I also don't know if I'd like the two diff weapon bars and having to worry about switching to other weapon just to use another skill. I really want to keep things as simple as possible and not have to worry about 12 diff skills for a fight. 🙄 Also have little interest in PvP. I just want to fight shit (Pve, dungeons), get cool loot (and sell everything I won't use), level up skills for my build, and occasionally fight bosses. To me it's sounding like if you neglect crafting and all those enchants, etc that you'll be severely lacking.

Edit: The only crafting I'd plan to do is alchemy for potions and the pot buff.

Last edited:

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
After you mentioned it I've been watching some vids (mainly that 3 hour starter one and another one form Dottz). I do want to play it, but I'm a lil concerned that its overly complicated. I say this in that I am not interested in crafting, and apparently I have to worry about weapon enchants, traits, and other mods for them & armor, and that is crap I hate to have to worry about. While I'm sure i'd get used to it, I also don't know if I'd like the two diff weapon bars and having to worry abotu switching to other weapon just to use another skill. I really want to keep things as simple as possible and not have to worry about 12 diff skills for a fight:\ Also have little interest in PvP. I just want to fight shit (Pve, dungeons), get cool loot (and sell everything I won't use), level up skills for my build, and occasionally fight bosses. To me it's sounding like if you neglect crafting and all those enchants, etc that you'll be severely lacking.

I can see how easily this game could feel overwhelming, as it truly is an expansive game. However one of the charms of this game is the fact that you can literally do anything.

Want to quest and get lost in the lore? There's a bazillion quests and ways to explore the lore.
Want to just grind mobs? You can start killing outside any city, all scaled to your current level. No need to find "the area" you need to be in at your level.
Want to craft? You can spend all day doing just that if you wish.

There truly isn't any strict "meta" in this game outside of perhaps what is needed for the highest lvl PVP. If for any reason you are "lacking", I have found there are always people willing to help. The quests which require you to kill bosses are a perfect example. Each one of these quests I've received thus far, I was immediately greeted by other players who helped defeat the boss(es).

ESO is very sandboxy and because of it I feel it has a charm most other MMORPGS simply do not offer. That can also make you feel like you're in over your head with no real destination. Just remember, you ultimately set your destination in this game. Do what you want ... be who you want. Nothing you do will ultimately "lock" you out of a part of the game you wish to experience.

It's pretty casual friendly, which is how I've been pretty much playing. I don't feel like I need to "race" to max level in this game for some reason, which is a nice change of pace for me in a MMO.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GarikDuvall

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
As far as all the quests go, I know ultimately it's up to me... but I do like some direction. Like I'd want to do the main story quests (which sounds like are dependent on which chapter/release you are playing?)... so in this case Summerset, then Elysweyr when it comes out. Then my factions one's. But for those 2 alone, do I go back and forth between the two? Or should I do one then the other? Then there are the guilds quests for their own perks. It's like I just don't know when I'd do what to have a fairly efficient leveling process to get to 'end game' of the current chapter & Vet levels. As Solo mentioned, I know you can then go play the other factions or the previous chapter stories (like Morrowind, or original ESO content) once done with current ones (or sooner, but I personally would do those later, if ever). [This is all pre-planning I'm doing to decide 1) if I will play and 2) how to have my play time be the most efficient]

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
As far as all the quests go, I know ultimately it's up to me... but I do like some direction. Like I'd want to do the main story quests (which sounds like are dependent on which chapter/release you are playing?)... so in this case Summerset, then Elysweyr when it comes out. Then my factions one's. But for those 2 alone, do I go back and forth between the two? Or should I do one then the other? Then there are the guilds quests for their own perks. It's like I just don't know when I'd do what to have a fairly efficient leveling process to get to 'end game' of the current chapter & Vet levels. As Solo mentioned, I know you can then go play the other factions or the previous chapter stories (like Morrowind, or original ESO content) once done with current ones (or sooner, but I personally would do those later, if ever). [This is all pre-planning I'm doing to decide 1) if I will play and 2) how to have my play time be the most efficient]

I worked on both those quest lines together only for a bit, then decided it was best to finish one before working on the other. I haven't even attempted to go back to do the original quest lines yet. Not sure if I even will to be honest, it will depends if I end up joining some guilds who have their own agendas at hand or if I end up losing interest like I do with most larger MMORPGs.

Personally, adding every quest I saw quickly became a bit overwhelming but some people don't mind having a million open quests. There are definitely intersecting quest lines but those quests will also take you in completely different directions (literally). So it really depends on how you personally like to organize your game play.

As far as leveling efficiency ... I can't really speak on that. I took the "Let's just play and explore the game" approach, not really caring whether I'm leveling at a highly efficient rate. For me, crafting is the next thing to sink my teeth into. Thank goodness for online guides.

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
I might take plunge and give it a try. Currently looking at a Breton Templar Healer/DPS, and a Nord or Argonian Warden Healer/Tank. Is there enough TESTies that play to make a guild?

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I really did enjoy playing, might pick it up again if a guild does form, I only had one guild so I have room for 4 more if they haven't kicked me out for inactivity.

After you mentioned it I've been watching some vids (mainly that 3 hour starter one and another one from Dottz). I do want to play it, but I'm a lil concerned that its overly complicated. I say this in that I am not interested in crafting, and apparently I have to worry about weapon enchants, traits, and other mods for them & armor, and that is crap I hate to have to worry about. While I'm sure i'd get used to it, I also don't know if I'd like the two diff weapon bars and having to worry about switching to other weapon just to use another skill. I really want to keep things as simple as possible and not have to worry about 12 diff skills for a fight. 🙄 Also have little interest in PvP. I just want to fight shit (Pve, dungeons), get cool loot (and sell everything I won't use), level up skills for my build, and occasionally fight bosses. To me it's sounding like if you neglect crafting and all those enchants, etc that you'll be severely lacking.

The two weapon thing wasn't really that big of a deal after I got used to switching, but depending on your build you may end up using only one most of the time anyway. And compared to other MMOs there really are only a few active skills you can have available at a time anyway. I know some games can have you filling your screen with half a dozen hotbars full of skills but they make you think about which core skills you want to have access to when you go roaming. As for the enchants and things, you can buy most of what you need from guild owned market npcs (there is no central auction house or anything like that, so you kinda have to shop around to find what you need which adds something to the game in my opinion. no handwavium magical amazon for all your needs) Or depending on the guild you're in have someone make them for you if you provide the mats. Some things you can only get from doing certain dungeons I believe but there are some useful enchants and foods and things you can get. And if you're going to choose, I think the prevailing wisdom was to get vampirism over lycanthropy if you want to. Some people will offer to do it for free to members of their guilds, don't pay for it (you have to get the disease then do a quest first I think. I also think getting it from a player has a 7 day cooldown for them.)

Reactions: GarikDuvall

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Seems some builds are lot more confusing than others (as with any game I suppose). Liking sounds of the tank/support Warden and weapon wise it uses #1: 1H & Shld, #2: Destro Staff, and the abilities I see recommended for both are pretty simple. But others I've read sound like you need to be constantly switching back and forth and that seems a bit of a hassle.

Yeah, most magick-user builds I see seem to go with Vampirism (just have to watch out for those flame attacks).

So now main thing I'm confused about is the "right" order in which to invest my ability (active/passive) points. I know, it's preference and all that, and some can only be done in certain orders. And while I'm not trying to strictly "min/max" my character, I feel like I want to make the leveling process as smooth and efficient as possible and limit amount of times I go "sht, I should have taken X passive first, why did I waste a point in Y ability!" etc. Though in all likelihood I assume the skills/passives don't make that big of a difference and I'm just overthinking it all.

Last edited:

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
FInally bit the bullet and got it. Now trying to download the client and holy god it's slow. 7.2 mb/s?! Not sure I've seen a modern game DL that slow. Guess I won't be playing nay time soon, smh.

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
So I've been hearing ESO has drastically improved since it's release and is arguably the best MMORPG out right now. Anyone played recently or playing right now?

I typically can't get into these larger MMOs but I'm in desperate need for another game til Raids in Division 2. Figured it would be worth the money even if I only muster 30-50 hours in game.
Kinda dig that it emphasizes all world exploring over a simple linear quest or exploration tree. Plus vampires and werewolves? 🤔

Question becomes do I grab that base game when it goes on sale for $9.99 again, or do I jump in head first and grab the $59.99 package which includes the base expansions plus pre-release of the new expansion coming in a few months.
I was into ESO just before I got into SC, it was fun best MMO in a while, haven't played the new expansion though. Considering it again now lol

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I played ESO for a while, it has it's good moments. By far better in groups of people you are familiar with. Raiding is fairly easy in the game but what is really fun to do is just exploring everything. I had an alpha and still have beta test invites for the new expac but I won't be taking part in it. Not sure if you can transfer the beta code if someone wants it

Reactions: littlej0e

Lonewollf

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lonewollf
Is there a Test Squadron guild in ESO? If so, might i join up? my @name is @ofdpt23 and currently working with a 38 imperial Dragonknight

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Haven't played much lately but Elsweyr went early-access so we got our preorder items!

Ended up grabbing the 2 eyed colored cat companion in the free crate but love the dragon imp that came with preorder. Dig the new robe costume too ....

Forgot your password?