The Expanse (No Spoilers)

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
So, I stopped watching Syfy after they cancelled all the stargate shows, which were my favorite. I watched the Expanse when it was free for Amazon Prime.

All I have to do is say, if you aren't watching this show, you had better.

I don't know about you guys who watch it, but I have never in my time been so engaged in a show since Psych and Stargate. The story is limitless, every single character I feel for. Every character is so well done!

I just finished season 3 (started late) and I can't wait to see what is in store for us. Surely I'm not the only one that feels this way!

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Both shows are amazing. Currently reading the latest book in the Expanse novels (Persepolis Rising) and have the Altered Carbon novel in the batters box.

Seriously if you love good tv and amazing (and long books) check out the expanse. Altered carbon was a great show too and hopefully the book is just as good.

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
All hands get ready for flip and burn.

Both series and books are amazing. Also have to say some of the best casting I've ever seen in tv, rarely does an actor fit perfectly with the book character in your head, but the expanse pulls it off with most of the cast.

Also love the realism, no other sci-fi show I can think of does space battles so well.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I keep hearing about this show i tried watching the first episode but wasnt really turned on so i didnt continue. I might have to give this another look through as i have watched almost everything i wanted to on netflix japan.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I keep hearing about this show i tried watching the first episode but wasnt really turned on so i didnt continue. I might have to give this another look through as i have watched almost everything i wanted to on netflix japan.
Same thing almost happened to me as well, the first ep is kinda all over the place and might seem a bit too chaotic and boring at the same time. It takes a few episodes for the sotrylines to solidify and make sense.
Believe me (and the others above me), it's worth giving it another go!
IMHO there hasn't been a better serious sci-fi show on since BSG.

Also +1 for Altered Carbon, quiet different, but really good!

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
Love the fact they have no science magic (warp drive shield etc) so it's almost believable. They have to compensate for time delay in communications etc and use real orbital mechanics to get around. Makes you appreciate point defence cannons. And don't even get me started on rail guns......

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
The biggest thing about the expanse to understand going into it is that there IS a story. Think game of thrones and that they have to set all the pieces of the story up.

And yes the realism. From then flipping and burning, crash couches, lack of gravity, and how a small hole can turn into big problems in space.

Reactions: Scape and Shiwaz

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I actually enjoyed the expanse from the beginning, so i may be a bit odd there. haven't read the books yet but if you guys say they're worth checking out then i'll have to do that.
So, I stopped watching Syfy after they cancelled all the stargate shows, which were my favorite. I watched the Expanse when it was free for Amazon Prime.
i don't know what the price is for amazon but that's who has picked up the series now that syfy has cancelled it. one way or another i'll still end up watching tho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

altered carbon was also pretty cool. didn't know that it was a book series either so thats another one i'll have to check out

::edit:: forgot to mention lost in space. just recently watched that and enjoyed it. Never saw the original series so I don't know how it stacks up but it was enjoyable

Last edited:
Reactions: Scape

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
I just found out that Amazon picked up The Expanse! I wonder why SyFy dropped it?!?!
They didn't really give a reason apart from wanting to concentrate on other things. It was the highest rated show (rotten tomatoes) to be dropped during the new season murder period. It got saved thanks to a big social media push and someone flying a plane with a "save the expanse" banner over Amazon hq.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Wait? Expanse is on prime?!! *plugs in amazon tv*

Reactions: Scape

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I have finished all of the books. And 3 seasons. I love this series. I’m scared that Amazon will butcher the rest of the series because I haven’t been able to get into any of their other shows- and feel that Netflix may have done it better. Here’s hoping for the best.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I just found out that Amazon picked up The Expanse! I wonder why SyFy dropped it?!?!
Apparently the big reason for the drop was over profits. Basically SYFY didn’t own the rights to the show or something (hence why a lot of us watched it through amazon and not SYFY website or channel). SYFY was also just the broadcasting company and not the actual channel backing it (so not a SYFY made tv show as I thought originally).

And as said above... I hope Amazon does it justice and doesn’t cut the FX budget to much especially for where the show will go if following the books.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Apparently the big reason for the drop was over profits. Basically SYFY didn’t own the rights to the show or something (hence why a lot of us watched it through amazon and not SYFY website or channel). SYFY was also just the broadcasting company and not the actual channel backing it (so not a SYFY made tv show as I thought originally).

And as said above... I hope Amazon does it justice and doesn’t cut the FX budget to much especially for where the show will go if following the books.
I read somewhere that Syfy only had the exclusive rights to air it once in the US and that's it? I can't remember exactly, also I have no idea how TV rights work lol, it's a total mess.
Great example is how lot's of big franchise movies only have seemingly random entries available on Netflix for me. Like F&F only has 1,2,3,5,7 for some reason, and a bunch of others are missing earlier entries, like Guardians oftheG Vol2 is there, but 1 isn't, as it's probably airing on some TV channel here.
Here in the soviet block, the only way for me to legally watch The Expanse is through Netflix, and they are a season behind! Thankfully, it is not technically illegal to pirate a tv show/movie for my own viewing as long as I don't share it lol.
While I can sub to amazon prime on their German site, the show is not available there. The only decent show available on Amazon here is The Grand Tour, and the rest of the very limited (much less than a 100 titles all in all) is mostly junk.

After watching Altered Carbon, which is a Netflix show, I was hoping they would pick it up. I guess they didn't jump on it cos they already have a bunch of high budget sci-fi shows in production, with Altered Carbon, Lost in Space, and something as yet unknown as stated by a guy in Cas Anvar's behind the scenes video here:
edit: WARNING!! The Video May Contain SPOILERS!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFQkNiuBGg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalarast

aivartron

Ensign
Mar 22, 2019
RSI Handle
aivartron
yes, I am watching the 3rd series *season - nice that it is vital and even more in space and inside space ships :)
I personally want to see a full screen-only space ship in SC, meaning no aquarium cocpit but video screens for the pilot and a contact/enemy management interface - not that ww2 style glass cockpit
I'd say I'd feel more secure behind deca-inches of steel than behind aquarium milli-inches of glass ..

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?