August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Hoy Bonanza!

And a mention of GoatHardon (as known on a previous Drama Thread about him here) too, I thought GS had faded away like VirtualAss... Unless Ass is still active too... *heh* it's all going on.
You're a bad person NaffNaff. I just lost an hour reading through that because you made it sound interesting.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
It never ceases to amaze me how some people try to fancy up their words in an attempt to make them sound legitimate. That, combined with straw man arguments and feigned offense, are the entirety of a forum bully's toolbox. Logic is met with anger. Fact is met with convoluted nonsense. Any suggestion of a peaceful resolution is met with all out war. It's best to catch it early and walk away. The only way to win is not to play...

chess.jpg

..also, I love how people try throw in what they perceive to be bits and pieces of Robert's Rules of Order. They try to sound official and valid, but just sound ignorant to anyone that's actually read it or had to use it. It reminds me of a guy I knew in RL. He kept trying to cram the word "ass"oteric in every sentence he could. I never corrected him and he consistently mistook the snickers for an opening to explain the definition of the word to the "ignorant masses".

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I didn’t read this but it was a well written, entertaining story with vibrant characters, terrific worldbuilding, and a level of prose matched only by Hemminingway and Marquis De Sade.
A modern classic, the Citizen Kane of its era.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I recall hearing about about Babylon 6 when it was started, I think somebody may have invited TEST Squadron at some point, but I declined.

Is this thread worth the read?

Im getting coffee... it better be worth it!

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I recall hearing about about Babylon 6 when it was started, I think somebody may have invited TEST Squadron at some point, but I declined.

Is this thread worth the read?

Im getting coffee... it better be worth it!
I don't know, I didn't read it. But I can confidently say it is worth the entirety of everyone's attention at all times.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I don't know, I didn't read it. But I can confidently say it is worth the entirety of everyone's attention at all times.
I'd say it scores a solid 17. Out of how many...? That's subjective.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You need a wireless bluetooth earphones so you can make coffee. And Read Aloud so you can hear the text read by an AI. It can be good, but it's more natural sounding in Chrome. and ah... there are still a lot of issues with the technology, but you get used to it. Dam thing likes to read all the text. Ad text especially.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Wait, you can read? Well that explains why you're our leader.

Show off.
Me read good!

In my attempt to understand the drama, it became evident that there is no "fall of Babylon 6" as the title described.

@Leodigarius if you can clarify, because I assumed the project had fallen apart and dissolved according to the title of the post.

What I did manage to understand from this drama is that the guy named Antarius who came up with the idea of B6 has never in his 15yrs of gaming heard of the word dox or doxxing. I guess he must be a tabletop gamer or something non-PC related, because it is impossible to be that removed from gaming culture, yet claim to be a part of it for 15yrs.

The actual doxxing was not actually a doxxing, but some genius doing a whois on a domain and then pasting the results which simply read "Registration Private", which is typically how 99.9% of sites display their info through a proxy service.

The argument that OP is making is that regardless of whether the information is publicly available or not, nobody should be attempting to use it to expose people who would probably not want their information publicly shared.

In that regard OP is correct, but the top minds at B6, who didn't even know what doxxing is, seem to disagree and feel that if its on the internet, its all fair game.

All that nonsense aside, the problem B6 will face if it does manage to exist into the launch of the game is that guys at the top will be facing a constant power struggle. They have some sort of democratic voting system that allows members and allies to control the direction and powers within the organization. This would typically be fine if everybody was acting in good faith, but as they will find out, majority of the members are all there to serve their own self interests and nothing else. Some of the time these interests may align, but more often than not there will be smaller more scrupulous orgs and individuals that just want to see the place burn down because it will be funny.

Did I get it right?

Leodigarius

Admiral
Sep 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Leodigarius
Me read good!

In my attempt to understand the drama, it became evident that there is no "fall of Babylon 6" as the title described.

@Leodigarius if you can clarify, because I assumed the project had fallen apart and dissolved according to the title of the post.

What I did manage to understand from this drama is that the guy named Antarius who came up with the idea of B6 has never in his 15yrs of gaming heard of the word dox or doxxing. I guess he must be a tabletop gamer or something non-PC related, because it is impossible to be that removed from gaming culture, yet claim to be a part of it for 15yrs.

The actual doxxing was not actually a doxxing, but some genius doing a whois on a domain and then pasting the results which simply read "Registration Private", which is typically how 99.9% of sites display their info through a proxy service.

The argument that OP is making is that regardless of whether the information is publicly available or not, nobody should be attempting to use it to expose people who would probably not want their information publicly shared.

In that regard OP is correct, but the top minds at B6, who didn't even know what doxxing is, seem to disagree and feel that if its on the internet, its all fair game.

All that nonsense aside, the problem B6 will face if it does manage to exist into the launch of the game is that guys at the top will be facing a constant power struggle. They have some sort of democratic voting system that allows members and allies to control the direction and powers within the organization. This would typically be fine if everybody was acting in good faith, but as they will find out, majority of the members are all there to serve their own self interests and nothing else. Some of the time these interests may align, but more often than not there will be smaller more scrupulous orgs and individuals that just want to see the place burn down because it will be funny.

Did I get it right?
Correct. Because WHOIS protection is an insanely basic thing that nearly every site has, they didn't get anything. Regardless as to whether or not it was a full dox, the important thing is the intent behind the action. I tried multiple times to get Antarius to understand why it was such a bad thing including getting a translator to speak with him instead of relying on Google to make the nuance of English known in German. Even worse is that members of B6 were trying to say that having WHOIS protection is a sign of wrongdoing. I asked him point blank if

The really irritating thing about Antarius is he never really took action against anyone no matter what you said. There were clearly people that joined to sway the group in a particular direction, such as several orgs leaving because they didn't want to be in the same space as pirate focused groups. With the intention of neutrality, it was disheartening to see things fall apart so rapidly.

Antarius wasn't really the originator of the drama, he just kinda was there in the background and spoke up occasionally. He never enforced anything at all. The three people that started this mess were Kronos, Stesig, and RogoRogo. Kronos and Stesig kicked it off by telling people outrageous tales of ORG when ORG applied to B6 and used manufactured fear to sway the vote. With the point of the project being neutrality, I objected to that and got involved.

RogoRogo is the one that provided the "dox" and had some weird actions, such as defending pedophilia. For whatever reason, that went right over the heads of all the non-English speaking people but made everyone else upset. He was clearly intending to post personal information, which he failed to obtain and also went about doing it in a dumb way, and the fact that everyone else was okay with it was greatly concerning. All because it was against someone they didn't like.

You are definitely right about their problems too, and the only solution would be for Antarius to sack up and actually moderate things. As the founder and creator of it, its up to him to see through most of the deception and agenda pushing, but he just doesn't have the personality for it, lacks experience to run something like B6, and lacks the language skills to understand what's going on.

I called it the Fall of Babylon 6 because so far, 10 orgs have left the project out of 20 something. It is clear that the original vision is impossible due to these recent events and Antarius is unwilling or unable to educate himself or intercede to protect his creation. There are many others that are considering it based on whats happened lately, but the biggest blow to the project is their new reputation of attempted doxxing on people their don't like or new members. They may not be doing it correctly and are incredibly inept at doing so, but the fact that they are ready and willing to do so spells doom. There is already plenty of infighting and I can see it crumbling down within a month or so. They will never achieve their goal because of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?