The future is rubbish

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm downloading a game I got for free with my Graphics Card.

Downloaded the makers installer, this really shouldn't be hard.

The size of the program is not so rare, just 40 gigabyte.

I started yesterday, hoped to be finished over night.

My connection is 400/600kb with brief peaks of 1.5m-b.

And that is where this doesn't really work, you see?

It keeps saying only 2 hours to go, but 12 have already passed.

I wouldn't mind but only half has been done? This definitely isn't fast.

I no longer want to play it now, which certainly is a shame.

I miss the piles of DVD's we used to install a game.

The future is rubbish.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I'm downloading a game I got for free with my Graphics Card.

Downloaded the makers installer, this really shouldn't be hard.

The size of the program is not so rare, just 40 gigabyte.

I started yesterday, hoped to be finished over night.

My connection is 400/600kb with brief peaks of 1.5m-b.

And that is where this doesn't really work, you see?

It keeps saying only 2 hours to go, but 12 have already passed.

I wouldn't mind but only half has been done? This definitely isn't fast.

I no longer want to play it now, which certainly is a shame.

I miss the piles of DVD's we used to install a game.

The future is rubbish.
400/600 KB per second? (thats around 4 Mbit/s and not very fast) If i did the math right your download should take around 20 hours +- 20% ^^

So i assume the makers have a shitty server

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I lived in one place with DSL...blah, it was better than 56k speeds, but that was about it.

When they changed the legislation so that ISP's had to offer just internet service by itself (and not force you to buy a bundle) I got "naked internet" from my cable company and HOLY CRAP I can now download things. SC used to be (literally) a 24 hour download, now I could redownload the whole thing in an hour.

Hopefully you have some other choices available (but maybe you don't?)...

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Where the heck do you live in teh UK to only have 600k? I live in a shitty town in a valley in Wales and I got 200MB fibre!

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Where the heck do you live in teh UK to only have 600k? I live in a shitty town in a valley in Wales and I got 200MB fibre!
Butuz, the rural folk got extra funding for fibre so some were lucky, I can see sheep from my window but one day I saw the new blessed green cabinet go up 900metres away and within 10 days I am on 37Mbps download. Judging from his wheelie bin I think Naff lives in a shitheap Northern wasteland town and no one in London at the Ministry cares about them because they voted for Brexit. In fact it is a punishment. Naff we have 4 wheel drive bins here.

I was in Montgomery, Powys yesterday (see picture) and go often are you anywhere nearby?
GROL0131.JPG

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Looks fantastic up there Mr Intruder. Unfortunatly I am from the South (just outside Cardiff) I don't get to see those views very often, been a few years since the last time I went up to drop a uni student off in Aber!

However, the A470 oop north is a bloomin lovely road and I do like driving so maybe a mountain top test meet is in order!!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
400/600 KB per second? (thats around 4 Mbit/s and not very fast) If i did the math right your download should take around 20 hours +- 20% ^^

So i assume the makers have a shitty server
What's the game?
It's the latest Assasins Creed from UBIsoft, came free with my AMD graphics card... it's one of the fastest downloads I've ever had and it still took over 24 hours.

:smile: Or a reeeaaally crappy internet connection. Where are those huge, comforting emojies when you need them?
Have you tried to upgrade your internet?
I'm on Plusnet who have always done us proud but they are at a disadvantage because they have to use BT lines and for some reason although the broadband speed checkers all say I'm supposed to get 8mb and have seen higher (on a 16mb unlimted contract) it never turns out that way and my downloads top out at 1.5mb but are usually 400/600kb.

I think another issue is my wife, Mrs 'BobFace, is a stream viewer to the extreme - we have a TV license but I only use it to watch the news then its youtube I estimate 6 to 8 hours a day. I don't doubt we are throttled, viewing video tops out at 480p before it starts to stutter and I just logged on to our account and it says they no longer monitor how much video streaming we use so if they've given up counting it must have been a lot!

We're spending £28 a month as it is so Fiber, even though it is in my area, isn't going to be in my house.

Butuz, the rural folk got extra funding for fibre so some were lucky, I can see sheep from my window but one day I saw the new blessed green cabinet go up 900metres away and within 10 days I am on 37Mbps download. Judging from his wheelie bin I think Naff lives in a shitheap Northern wasteland town and no one in London at the Ministry cares about them because they voted for Brexit. In fact it is a punishment. Naff we have 4 wheel drive bins here.

I was in Montgomery, Powys yesterday (see picture) and go often are you anywhere nearby?
View attachment 10770
Lol, not quite Northern, more Eastern but you have a great eye for a wheelie bin - I live in Lincolnshire so were just as ignored as we were considered a "safe seat" in the commons where the blues couldn't fail to win... And then we all looked like racists when Brexit happened because for fuck sake Boston 75.6% that's the highest in the whole damned country!!??!

So yeah, double bummed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
speed test.png

I know what that's like. I takes me about three days to download SC over my wifi hotspot.

But there might be hope. Do you have libraries with high speed internet in the land of tv licenses?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
View attachment 10772

I know what that's like. I takes me about three days to download SC over my wifi hotspot.

But there might be hope. Do you have libraries with high speed internet in the land of tv licenses?
That used to be me! I feel your pain...

But now I'm :
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 3.22.56 PM.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

There are libraries but the local one has a ban on USB devices because some tosser keylogged a bunch of people by leaving a microdrive in one of them.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If the library has wifi, and you have a laptop, just download it on the laptop over the library wifi, then copy all the files over to your PC when you get home.
That's a plan, maybe I can ask nicely if the Tech department can do it at work 🙂

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?