the i9

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Interesting. The pricing scheme is still pretty high, since you can get the 16-core Ryzen TR for the same price as the 7900X, which is only 10 cores with 1/3rd the L3 cache.

Sure, 7900X will probably blow the 1950X out of the water in single-core performance, but anything multi-core is currently AMD's kingdom.

Reactions: StdDev

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
ThomSirveaux - anything multicore is longtime Intel kingdom (very unfortunate, but well known fact) .. AMD it trying to put a finger (and ideally a foot) back into this space, and let's all pray for the success of it, as it will bring competition back.

As for the table itself , 7940 seems to be the new king of the hill ( in my book at least .. as base clock usually dictates max. boost :) )

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
ThomSirveaux - anything multicore is longtime Intel kingdom (very unfortunate, but well known fact) .. AMD it trying to put a finger (and ideally a foot) back into this space, and let's all pray for the success of it, as it will bring competition back.

As for the table itself , 7940 seems to be the new king of the hill ( in my book at least .. as base clock usually dictates max. boost :slight_smile: )
The 7940 is indeed a monster but 100 usd extra per core is pricey. I'm curious to see what the prices will be after the coffee lake announcement and black Friday sales. I'm still gearing for the 7900 but if the amd ryzen gets a better score than the 7900 I might have to get the zen which I'm not to fond on due to previous issues with AMD. We will see let the CPU races begin.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
REALLY looking forward to Ryzen 9 as a higher-end gaming/streaming platform at a greatly lower price.

Hopefully AMD succeeds.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks OP!

I never cared much for AMD as their CPUs were crap for the last 15 years or so, but I'd love for Ryzen to be actually good out in the real world! Lots of cheap cores is something I would love to have, as it's about the most important thing in my trade. These new Intel CPUs could be great, but the price seems rather steep for consumer level stuff.

sidenote: I'd love to see one of these Intels tested along a Ryzen with the same number of cores in something like a Maya+Renderman or 3dsMax+Vray render speed test. Something realistic, not a top-of-the-line matched parts for best possible result blah blah bullshet. Get a 15 year old kid build 2 PCs from random parts he thinks are best, without letting him research for more then 2 seconds, have windows apps, games, chrome, steam, background apps, plugins and all sorts of shit already installed/running, you know, like an actual working computer, and then run a test! That would make sense unlike every single "professional" benchmark you can find on the internetz... It's a safe bet the Intel would win, but after all these years, at the higher price the difference might not be worth it and we could buy a cheaper AMD CPU that is not exactly as/more slower than it's cheaper! Even though I'm an "Intelist" I'd love for that day to come!

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
Interesting. The pricing scheme is still pretty high, since you can get the 16-core Ryzen TR for the same price as the 7900X, which is only 10 cores with 1/3rd the L3 cache.

Sure, 7900X will probably blow the 1950X out of the water in single-core performance, but anything multi-core is currently AMD's kingdom.
Plus I doubt there are too many people picking up something more than 10 cores that really care much about single core performance. And some of the Threadripper OC results that have been leaked in the last few days is really impressive if real.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Plus I doubt there are too many people picking up something more than 10 cores that really care much about single core performance. And some of the Threadripper OC results that have been leaked in the last few days is really impressive if real.
If AMD released the oc results its set in a "Perfect environment" and wont be real world. Its mostly for show, hype, and marketing. Wait till the real results get published by a non-biased Benchmark such as Anandtech or Tomshardware. I'm not defending intel on that either Intel does the same thing.

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
If AMD released the oc results its set in a "Perfect environment" and wont be real world. Its mostly for show, hype, and marketing. Wait till the real results get published by a non-biased Benchmark such as Anandtech or Tomshardware. I'm not defending intel on that either Intel does the same thing.
It's more just rumored posts such as this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6sg03p/1950x_geekbench_3_results_41_ghz_all_cores/?ref=share&ref_source=link and this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6rdk1p/threadripper_1950x_running_with_water_cooler_at/?ref=share&ref_source=link both unbacked/unofficial claims of great OC ability.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
thats a lot of cores
In 1999 a friend of mine showed me his home-build PC. He told me about Moores Law and how we were going to get close to the theoretical speed limit of processors soon.

"Why don't you run two processors at once?" I asked him.

"Don't be stupid." was his reply.

And that is how me and he missed out on becoming multi million billion gajillionaires.

I don't talk to him anymore.

The end.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
There really is just to much hype for amd's new cores because people think they will get something on the same level as an Intel X core that will match performance for a much lower price. With lower prices comes less QA and reliability I don't want to have a cpu fail on me due to ocing it and a year later its dead due to a manufacture fault.(ive been there done that) Yeah I can buy another one and it will be probably still lower in price than the 10 core but it still wont match the longevity and performance of the 10. This is why Ive stuck with intel for the most part. I'm willing to look into the ryzen but I'm skeptical as ive said.

Forgot your password?