The Ignoble Death of Indiana Jones

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Sounds like Indy 5 finally crossed the $300M line (US and overseas), which was the reported cost to make, but doesn’t include the ginormous marketing budget. Very little chance it will make the $900M claimed. Looks like half billion short. That’s about as big a mistake as anyone could make.

So will KK lose her job? Are we all to be saved the deconstruction of the Star Wars cosmology found in Acolyte?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
So will KK lose her job? Are we all to be saved the deconstruction of the Star Wars cosmology found in Acolyte?
We can only hope that this is the final straw, and KK is ejected. The abomination of the Acolyte hopefully goes with her.

Even when she is gone, it will take years to repair the damage that she and her flying monkeys have done to the franchise.

If it can be restored at all. It will take some special love and care to nurse Star Wars back to health. Let's hope it happens.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
We can only hope that this is the final straw, and KK is ejected. The abomination of the Acolyte hopefully goes with her.

Even when she is gone, it will take years to repair the damage that she and her flying monkeys have done to the franchise.

If it can be restored at all. It will take some special love and care to nurse Star Wars back to health. Let's hope it happens.
Well, this is from last week, and could be good news if it proves to be true...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I watched the first twenty minutes grittting my teeth the whole time. How these guys can take ten seconds worth of info and turn it into a half hour cast is beyond me.

I should also report the rumor that KK fired Jon Favreau last Friday. Seems pretty doubtful given she’s supposedly on break.

“All hands on deck” does not seem at all like a response to financial improprieties. Sounds like due consideration of what to do with the entire LucasArts team. The timing suggests something related to Indy 5, much more than Acolyte, except unless they have a clue how much the fan base is opposed to deconstructing George’s cosmology.

If there is any truth to the rumors George is trying to buy the property back, could be he is trying to block Acolyte from ruining the cosmology that was the product of his genius. That’s a story that makes sense. Given the flop of Indy 5 over KK’s protestations she could sell a deconstruction, maybe Iger is thinking about stopping the deconstruction before there’s nothing left and no offer from George.

I dunno, but one thing I do know. Disney protects its own. Iger is not going to press criminal charges against KK unless he finds out she disrespected his direct orders to her. If she did that, it’s anyone’s guess what happens next.

I heard Andor was going well. Killing it to save the POS project to deconstruct all SW cosmology sounds too stupid even for KK. Just very hard to believe.

All hands on deck in the middle of a writer’s strike when no one is working definitely sounds like a reaction move. But a reaction to what?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Okay so sounds like the outcome of the All Hands On Deck is that KK has been removed from her place as Executive Producer on Mando season 4, which cuts all her input off from that series; as well as from an unnamed and undisclosed project Filoni and Favreau have been working. This is all good news but falls very short of hopes that Acolyte will be canned.

What is the F&F project? Perhaps the renamed Rangers of the New Republic? That would be all full of awesome, and especially given the current success that Andor is seeing, another project with little to no Jedi/Force presence makes good sense.

Count me mildly optimistic. What will it take for Disney to actually fire KK? Looks like fan rejection of Acolyte is the only thing Iger will listen too. What an idiot.

View: https://youtu.be/uaoXYDWvudM

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I still don't think KK can be fired, but I do start to believe after so many losses that she can be promoted upwards into a position where she doesn't have any actual input into what gets made.

The writers and now actors strike does seem like a godsend for the mouse as they can't put out any more trash while it's on. I would like a definitive word in whether the acolyte moves forward or not though, I'm really itching to put a short on Disney stocks lol

Reactions: Bambooza

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Sounds like Indy 5 finally crossed the $300M line (US and overseas), which was the reported cost to make, but doesn’t include the ginormous marketing budget. Very little chance it will make the $900M claimed. Looks like half billion short. That’s about as big a mistake as anyone could make.

Don't forget theaters get 50% of that 300+ million. Then add another 50-100 million for under reporting the budget. Then add another 100+ million for marketing. Then you can also think about the money they paid for LucasFilm in general just to have the Indy IP. They are losing a ton of money on this movie, and if by some miracle, for some reason they break even, they didn't spend years and years making the film and spending 100s of millions of dollars just to break even.

KK is a wonderful creative, running laps around Spielberg and Lucas. We as the audience just don't get it so I guess we're to blame.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Don't forget theaters get 50% of that 300+ million. Then add another 50-100 million for under reporting the budget. Then add another 100+ million for marketing. Then you can also think about the money they paid for LucasFilm in general just to have the Indy IP. They are losing a ton of money on this movie, and if by some miracle, for some reason they break even, they didn't spend years and years making the film and spending 100s of millions of dollars just to break even.
I don't see them breaking even right now it looks to be a huge loss.

KK is a wonderful creative, running laps around Spielberg and Lucas. We as the audience just don't get it so I guess we're to blame.
There is a reason she is where she is. I just know money talks and so something has to change and the investors will see to it as it's their wealth and greed on the line.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I don't see them breaking even right now it looks to be a huge loss.

There is a reason she is where she is. I just know money talks and so something has to change and the investors will see to it as it's their wealth and greed on the line.
I just hope that for once, greed actually gets us, the exploited something lol
As in getting KK moved along so we can have good films again.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
At the time KK took over, she had put in the work for many years and both Spielberg and Lucas agreed with her selection. However, she has been failing hard over and over for many years now, and it has been obvious to the fans why. People have been complaining about her militant feminism for way more than a decade, and one presumes the board knows this. Why they don’t intervene is a mystery since they don’t report on such issues to the stakeholders—just results.

I think the reason we heard a specific threat about consequences if Indy didn’t net $900M is because that’s what they needed to be in the black. So when all the sales are done they’ll be half a billion dollars short, and that’s not counting the merch, which one supposes will do hideously. Usually people forget tertiaries, but that’s where the biggest piece of the pie comes and if they already paid to manufacture dolls and such, they’re in even deeper water.

Trouble is, the longer the board waits to take action the worse they all look when they do. They’ve looked terrible for years. Everything from Buzz Lightyear to The Flash is looking terrible. It really is going to take a paradigm shift for them to all agree to let go of the hate. Butch women and effeminate men isn’t selling. Big surprise, but what will it take for them to admit their mistakes, and will the Star Wars cosmology have to suffer deconstruction first? I sure hope not but this seems where we’re headed. I’m not sure if anything can stop Acolyte now.

There is one point of hope. When KK fired Gina Carrano it became obvious that it’s Kennedy’s ideological trappings that are the trouble. There’s no way to debate this. So the board must know what’s up. They just don’t want to take the heat for doing something a decade too late.

Forgot your password?