Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BulletMagnet

Vice Admiral
May 23, 2015
RSI Handle
BullMag
Does anyone else think that the middle picture in the first post on this thread of the reliant in its vertical position looks like it has admiral ackbars eyes?

its a trap!!!!!

Jack Firebaugh

Rear Admiral
Jun 20, 2014
RSI Handle
JackFirebaugh
Im excited! I think you are right - a variant will probably have a turret on the bottom of the wing.

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Melted one of my aurora packages plus $30.already in credit to buy 2 Reliant's. Hoping they will be offered with a package upgrade in the future. will need more AI or npc to help man the mutli crew ships.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
I stopped reading for a moment when I read about the 300 series speculated, by you, to be a tier 2 starters as well. And then I was filled with anger.
There is no way all single starter ships are considered starters. They called this the third starter for a reason. If the 300series was among them, then then either the aurora or the mustang has to be upgraded to a non-starter! That said, you also have stuff like the 350R which cost what, $140 dollars now. If you want that series to be starters, then you better included every other single seater, including the cutlass and freelancer! Even the cheaper variants of the puts the price up to something alongside the avenger and gladius. Both a Mustang and an Aurora is $20 without a package, and it's really the Reliant being the out of place one here, with a $50 pricetag.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I stopped reading for a moment when I read about the 300 series speculated, by you, to be a tier 2 starters as well. And then I was filled with anger.
There is no way all single starter ships are considered starters. They called this the third starter for a reason. If the 300series was among them, then then either the aurora or the mustang has to be upgraded to a non-starter! That said, you also have stuff like the 350R which cost what, $140 dollars now. If you want that series to be starters, then you better included every other single seater, including the cutlass and freelancer! Even the cheaper variants of the puts the price up to something alongside the avenger and gladius. Both a Mustang and an Aurora is $20 without a package, and it's really the Reliant being the out of place one here, with a $50 pricetag.
Look the 'tier' classification is new and I had read 3rd hand on the forum that Chris considered the 300 series to be something like the next step for people after the 'starter' ships which made me think 'tier 2'. Just speculation man. For all we know the 'tier' thing only includes the starters we voted on and got the Reliant out of.

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
Nice article! I wasn't entirely sure if I should buy one or not but your article convinced me. Especially the bit about it likely being our second most used ship which will make the lifetime insurance on it quite nice.
Wasn't going to get it for money reasons. Read the Article and wanted it but just managed to hold off. Read this about the LTI, now I have one :/

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Cash price tag ≠ tier.
Number of asses in seats ≠ tier
Advertised role ≠ tier

Expected/projected baseline skill level to fly and cost/complexity to equip an efficient load out = ship tier (or is a much better guideline anyway).

Do you need to have a couple dozen hours under your belt to fly a base Aurora or Mustang well enough to do what a new player will want to do? We can only hope not. Do you need to have a couple dozen hours logged to be able to fit a Mustang Omega and not kill yourself right out the gate? That's far more likely. I'd say that most of the variants are Tier.5. Saying that the 300i at its base, is a tier higher than an Aurora or a Mustang is not a far fetched idea at this time. Once we know just how much tweaking we'll be able to do with the ships, I'm sure that several of them will end up getting reclassified, but for the time being, knowing that the ships are *intended* to be more complex is all we can go on. Looking at EVE (I know, but stick with me though) a Tech1 Cruiser is a totally different beast from a Tech2 Interdictor, but an argument could be made that they are similar when you look at skill time requirements and loadout costs and thus could be put in a "tier" (this completely ignores the roll of those ships and that we know all there is to know about them, but I hope my point came through).

Also, and this might seem like a counterargument against what I just said, but it's going to be important (IMO) that we don't get too terribly hung up on the term "tier". If we had proper ship classifications beyond Starter, Frigate, Capital, and "the rest", we as a community would be far better equipped to start classifying ships into tiers, or ranks, or levels, or whatever word ends up getting chosen.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Reactions: mromutt

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Cash price tag ≠ tier.
Number of asses in seats ≠ tier
Advertised role ≠ tier

Expected/projected baseline skill level to fly and cost/complexity to equip an efficient load out = ship tier (or is a much better guideline anyway).

Do you need to have a couple dozen hours under your belt to fly a base Aurora or Mustang well enough to do what a new player will want to do? We can only hope not. Do you need to have a couple dozen hours logged to be able to fit a Mustang Omega and not kill yourself right out the gate? That's far more likely. I'd say that most of the variants are Tier.5. Saying that the 300i at its base, is a tier higher than an Aurora or a Mustang is not a far fetched idea at this time. Once we know just how much tweaking we'll be able to do with the ships, I'm sure that several of them will end up getting reclassified, but for the time being, knowing that the ships are *intended* to be more complex is all we can go on. Looking at EVE (I know, but stick with me though) a Tech1 Cruiser is a totally different beast from a Tech2 Interdictor, but an argument could be made that they are similar when you look at skill time requirements and loadout costs and thus could be put in a "tier" (this completely ignores the roll of those ships and that we know all there is to know about them, but I hope my point came through).

Also, and this might seem like a counterargument against what I just said, but it's going to be important (IMO) that we don't get too terribly hung up on the term "tier". If we had proper ship classifications beyond Starter, Frigate, Capital, and "the rest", we as a community would be far better equipped to start classifying ships into tiers, or ranks, or levels, or whatever word ends up getting chosen.
I can't say for sure this is what the devs thought, but: it's a two seater. $50/2 = $25 which would put it around the other two starters.

I went overboard with my comparisons on purpose. You say price is irrelevant? I say it's very important. If the avenger was a $30 ship, then I'm very sure people would consider it a starter, or at least a ship they can cheaply upgrade to from their aurora. That said, as soon as you go from one ship to another, you can debate if it's a starter anymore - it is no longer the first ship you get. However, you can also perceive it as being a cluster of ships that are all starter area, again, what makes them starter ships probably has to do with price tag again... If the constellation was the second ship people got because it was Suuuuper cheap, then that would be considered a starter?

As I see it, the reliant is the one stretching the boundaries by leaps and bounds, being 2,5x the price of both an aurora AND a mustang if bought by a single person. I can no longer remember the exact cost of the 300i, but wasn't it around $60? A good half aurora extra in price. Meh, but okay, I see your point, there's not a lot of ships in price range between the aurora and the 300i. Still, I think upgrading your ship is something that's supposed to take a while, and as such, you're way past "starting" the game once you've made your way to a 300i. A reliant cuts it in as a starter because $50/2 is $25 for each, and as such puts it effectively at that starter money range. Also! The 300 series has one of the biggest leaps in prices between it's stock and it's variants, with the 350R being more than double the price. If that ship is a starter, then so is half the ships made pretty much.

So, the reason why a 300i is not a starter, is because, you have to pay for its price as a single person, and you cannot start the game off with it after you've finished squadron 42, you'll have to go with an aurora or a mustang, or splice with someone else and get a reliant. You can't splice for a 300i, because it's a 1-person ship. If you splice 4 people for a constellation is actually cheaper per person than a 300i, and as such I'd like to argue that the constellation is more of a starter than the 300i, even though it is the next step on the ladder! Yop! Naturally everything I've said is speculation, but I think my own logic sounds really logical and totally reliable and very sound and really clever, so pretty much any counter-argument is invalid at this point!

Reactions: thanatos73
Forgot your password?