The most compelling TV for the next half decade?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have been a huge fan of both J. R. R. Tolkien, and his best friend C. S. Lewis for forty years. Most people aren't familiar, but Tolkien's formulation of Middle Earth was a genre defining one.

After Tolkien, many writers picked up his world creation with so few changes, that this eventually defined a sub-genre. Terry Brooks with the Shanara series, Gary Gygax with his creation of Dungeons and Dragons, both helped define what is now known as "High Fantasy". We think of elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, etc. in stereotypical fashion we do, because that is what high fantasy is. It entitles us to certain assumptions, even if they are in rare cases violated by romance between an elf and a dwarf. BTW, D&D second edition and following are not high fantasy, because each edition added so significantly to our expectations, with new races, etc. Creation of the drow kicked D&D out of the High Fantasy sub-genre, as did "balancing" the races instead of making the world centered around mankind. (That's just one reason First Edition D&D is so much better than all that followed.)

I can never get enough of it. I'm thrilled that there's going to be creative oversight by the owners so hopefully we won't see new races suddenly appear, nor mages with world shattering powers that make everyone else impotent by comparison. Tolkien had strict limits that were designed so that even the smallest Hobbit could make a world changing contribution, and so kept the story on courage and character rather than who has the biggest fireball.

Really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Came in for recommendations on a new TV, found this instead. :like:

Edit: Fits with the rumors that Amazon is currently developing the LotR mmorpg. Personally i think that New World mmo is the testing bed for the big hitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Now we shall see if they hand it off to lazy writers who were the producer's cousin's girlfriend's barber to drive it into the ground with STELLAR ideas such as Orcs making modern comedic references, Heroes surviving stupid impossible situations, and fuck it; Gandalf Flossing to Never Gonna Give You Up. That is the faith I have in Overly-produced high-budget schlock these days. I Hope I am proven a wrong, though, because I like me some LOTR

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Yeah this looks like it will be awesome. It's going to be hard to top the Peter Jackson films, but this will be a must watch.

Some other things in development that will be game changers for my TV binge watching: ST: Strange New Worlds and the new Battlestar series.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
@Blind Owl - Aye! A new Battlestar series reportedly is in development to support the launch of NBC's new Peacock streaming service. Not much information available yet.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@Blind Owl - Aye! A new Battlestar series reportedly is in development to support the launch of NBC's new Peacock streaming service. Not much information available yet.

Sweet!! Thank you!

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Forgot your password?