[Theorycraft] Ranks and "awards"

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
So I've been thinking about how we might organise ranks and how we give certain ranks on ships roles. here are my thoughts:

Private - Corporal
You clean out the Beer bottles and probably work on a subsystem.

Sergeant - whatever is before lieutenant
Will be controlling the people below you.

Lieutenant - commander
This is where it gets interesting. You may now be chief of a ships system. This means you will take orders from your higher-up and tell the people how to do their jobs. You could also manage how it is done. You will also get yourself a small amount of UEC for your job. You now have your own vanguard sized ship!

Commander - Captain
Will be given a seat on the bridge or a corvette sized ship (Connie etc). You may now command the lieutenants who command the people below them etc etc. awarded a small ship for your deeds and UEC.

Capitan.
Congrats. you now have the helm of a large ship (Idris, carrack etc). You have large control over your fleet and influence in test itself! You are awarded UEC.

Admiral
Top of the food chain you control a very large destroyer (Javelin, Bengal etc). You have large influence over TEST Squardon's next move! For your actions of bravery and baselessness you will be giver a flying whorehouse (890 Jump or phoenix) and a flashy ship! Controls a large fleet.

Montoya
YOU ARE A GOD!

Miguelese

Commander
Aug 29, 2015
RSI Handle
Miguelese
In my experience of other games, commanding muticrew works best if you have a Captian nominate a Commanding Officer for each trip. Someone they can trust. The rest of the crew takes orders from the Captain or CO. Assuming the Captain will be busy at the helm, if it is his or her ship, usually the CO will be giving out the orders. The community will adopt a norm for this type of activity but that's how I have seen it work. Hopefully the game will offer some mechaninc to allow the moninated CO the ability to use ship-wide orders chat and eject lazy bastard pugs into space.

My god that almost souded useful, I need another beer.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
We're not likely to institute ranks at the ground level. It's more likely for us to institute ranks of "clearance" for members when it comes to certain things in TEST.

In my experience of other games, commanding muticrew works best if you have a Captian nominate a Commanding Officer for each trip. Someone they can trust. The rest of the crew takes orders from the Captain or CO. Assuming the Captain will be busy at the helm, if it is his or her ship, usually the CO will be giving out the orders. The community will adopt a norm for this type of activity but that's how I have seen it work. Hopefully the game will offer some mechaninc to allow the moninated CO the ability to use ship-wide orders chat and eject lazy bastard pugs into space.

My god that almost souded useful, I need another beer.
I also approve of this approach.

Dranoc

Autistic EVE Player
Donor
Feb 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Dranoc
It will probably not be so official. More like weapons commander or engineering chief. I wont be able to call someone lieutenant without laughing my ass off. I will say we wont have any silly shit like having to salute someone or having to say yes "left lieutenant!"

Bones Simmons

Space Marshal
Sep 21, 2015
RSI Handle
SturmHelix
Eh don't really have a problem with having ranks or a chain of command (ex army infantry), but I own a tali so I'm going to fly it regardless. I hope I just read it wrong, but restricting what members can fly based on rank seems like a no go to me.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Also kinda fucks over people who want to be in leadership positions, but don't necessarily want to be stuck in a capital ship.

For instance, I have very little interest in running or owning a capital ship. Sure, they're nice. Sure, they're powerful and very useful. I'll happily defend it, repair it, chip in for upkeep, etc etc. But I don't want to be babysitting something like a job.

But if I'm the hypothetical head of a TEST Division or large (100+ person) squadron, then I have a lot more pull and leadership responsibilities than other people, and I still don't want to be babysitting a Javelin or whatever.

Plus what about "rank and file" members who spent the cash on an Idris? Automatically promoted? Ship "commandeered" for the greater good?

I like the idea in theory snakey, but I think it could use a little TLC.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
Also kinda fucks over people who want to be in leadership positions, but don't necessarily want to be stuck in a capital ship.

For instance, I have very little interest in running or owning a capital ship. Sure, they're nice. Sure, they're powerful and very useful. I'll happily defend it, repair it, chip in for upkeep, etc etc. But I don't want to be babysitting something like a job.

But if I'm the hypothetical head of a TEST Division or large (100+ person) squadron, then I have a lot more pull and leadership responsibilities than other people, and I still don't want to be babysitting a Javelin or whatever.

Plus what about "rank and file" members who spent the cash on an Idris? Automatically promoted? Ship "commandeered" for the greater good?

I like the idea in theory snakey, but I think it could use a little TLC.
It will probably not be so official. More like weapons commander or engineering chief. I wont be able to call someone lieutenant without laughing my ass off. I will say we wont have any silly shit like having to salute someone or having to say yes "left lieutenant!"
Agreed. Thanks for the feedback!

Haggle

Commander
Donor
Nov 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Haggle
I don't like having to take on a "command" role to break out of the lieutenant commander rank. A note could be taken from formal military ranks, where each specialization has an officer track, from quartermaster officers to infantry officers. People could be graded on their competence in specific roles, but that gets overly structured/doesn't feel like it has a place in TEST. General activity and trustworthiness ought to lead to greater and greater resource access. From that point people can gauge their own skills/what role is fun for them, a TEST veteran pulls out a Constellation and claims responsibility for it, we all get drunk and go on an adventure.

Reactions: NKato and SeungRyul

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
We're not likely to institute ranks at the ground level. It's more likely for us to institute ranks of "clearance" for members when it comes to certain things in TEST.
Its not unusual for me to agree with NKato, but still - it feels weird every time I do.

Reactions: Snakey

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
TEST chain of command:

Who's flying this thing?
The captain.
We have a captain?
Wait, I thought YOU were the captain.
But I'm not flying... Fuck!
*crashes into sun*
For the glory of TEST.

I think Firefly style. One guy owns the ship. He calls the shots. Everyone else does a job. Leave ranks for military. I personally get enough of that shit at work. ;)
I also imagine a TEST capital ship being a lot like a clown car. With drunk clowns. Lots and lots of drunk clowns. Well be lucky to dock ships without crashing. Hehehehe. Oops

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
TEST chain of command:

Who's flying this thing?
The captain.
We have a captain?
Wait, I thought YOU were the captain.
But I'm not flying... Fuck!
*crashes into sun*
For the glory of TEST.

I think Firefly style. One guy owns the ship. He calls the shots. Everyone else does a job. Leave ranks for military. I personally get enough of that shit at work. ;)
I also imagine a TEST capital ship being a lot like a clown car. With drunk clowns. Lots and lots of drunk clowns. Well be lucky to dock ships without crashing. Hehehehe. Oops
we have a flagship already...

Forgot your password?