Thinking about traveling.

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
So, the other day I was sitting at home not necessarily miserable but bored. I live in a small town, I've done a lot of partying. Regardless I started to drink and wonder why video games weren't what they used to be. Hear me out, I love my Star Citizen and nothings going to change that, so for clarification I am referring to "AAA" titles, like Call of Duty, GTA, Grand theft auto, or games in General. I don't know if it's the fact I'm out growing them or if it's the fact that the companies really don't seem to put their hearts into it anymore and make it a cash grab.

So I quit buying games and promised myself no more Star Citizen Pledges (Because if I didn't all my money would go to RSI). The amount of money I saved was mind blowing to be honest. SO I started thinking, and the next day I went and got my Passport. I was like I want to see the world. I have a list of places I absolutely have to go too first.

I just had some questions though from experienced travelers and then one final question for our family here.

How do you go to see how much money it costs a day when you visit a country, I found the currency exchange rates but I also can't find anything up to date on cost a day (Food, expenses, such). Also I didn't know if anyone has stayed in a Hostel before or if I should just stick with a hotel. My goal for the trips would be to take a backpack with some clothes and hygiene items. I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm thinking about everything I need to think about.

My list so far in no specific order is:

South Africa
Australia
Vietnam
China
Japan
India
Ireland

I'm also open for suggestions and obviously can't afford to do this all in a year.

My last question is I was thinking of investing in a GoPro to give Vlogging a try and share my adventures. I know it would be cool regardless, but I didn't know if you guys would be interested in seeing it or if anyone that lives in another country may want to be like my AirBnb and show me around their home. I just think it would be fun.

As always, Love Hero

Reactions: Sraika

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Have you visited websites like Lonely Planet? They have book guides, and they have a lot of web forums...you can ask specific questions for people in each area, and plan that way.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/categories/country-forums

In general, you can spend as much as you want on hotels...your best bet is some combo of hostels and/or camping and/or crashing with people you meet, but you should be aware of safety issues in each area you visit.

A lot of this is "easier" when you are younger, since you won't ache as much the next day from camping. Also, a lot of hostels are shared rooms with a bathroom down the hall...the good part is, you get to meet a lot of new people!

In the meantime, you can do something like get a passport...

Reactions: Sraika and Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Traveling can be cheap or expensive depending on how you manage your money. Set a budget in each country on a daily basis. The most expensive thing which is easy to research is cost to stay somewhere.(Hotel or hostel) I can't speak of hostels as i have never stayed at one. In japan there are what are called internet cafes where it is a tiny room with a chair(Sometimes bigger) or a room full of recliners you can spend a night in one of htose for like 20 usd or 10 depending where you are. They are in other countries also such as Korea, Malaysia, singapore etc etc. that may be another option for you. Then food you can buy riceballs for like $1.50 and that can be a whole meal make it 2 if you want. Have fun in your travels and stay safe don't do anything that will get you in trouble or hurt.

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Have you visited websites like Lonely Planet? They have book guides, and they have a lot of web forums...you can ask specific questions for people in each area, and plan that way.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/categories/country-forums

In general, you can spend as much as you want on hotels...your best bet is some combo of hostels and/or camping and/or crashing with people you meet, but you should be aware of safety issues in each area you visit.

A lot of this is "easier" when you are younger, since you won't ache as much the next day from camping. Also, a lot of hostels are shared rooms with a bathroom down the hall...the good part is, you get to meet a lot of new people!

In the meantime, you can do something like get a passport...
I went to get my passport and should have it fairly soon they told me!

I'm checking the website right now!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hostels is the way to go to start with as it gives you a place to meet others and a simi safe place (theft is still huge) until you get a hang of meeting strangers and exploring. Make sure to have a good frameless hiking backpack and a go pro or some other way to record your adventure is always recommended even if you don't vlog it family and friends both on the road and back home enjoy watching the adventures.

And the best advice. Don't be afraid to say yes, with smart phones being able to not only translate signs but also voice there is no reason not to go out and just wing it, get away from tourist destinations and truly experience all this world and its cultures have to offer.

Reactions: Radegast74

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Hostels is the way to go to start with as it gives you a place to meet others and a simi safe place (theft is still huge) until you get a hang of meeting strangers and exploring. Make sure to have a good frameless hiking backpack and a go pro or some other way to record your adventure is always recommended even if you don't vlog it family and friends both on the road and back home enjoy watching the adventures.

And the best advice. Don't be afraid to say yes, with smart phones being able to not only translate signs but also voice there is no reason not to go out and just wing it, get away from tourist destinations and truly experience all this world and its cultures have to offer.
Agreed, especially with the internet now, you can book directly with little places all over the world, and you can ask the hotels how to get there / the best routes, etc. And you can always post on messaged boards and ask about different accomodations, and get responses from people who have actually stayed there.

I know the Lonely Planet guides are regularly updated, and the ones I used were really, really good...accurate and great tips!

Reactions: Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

I concur with the Google translate app part yeah it's not always perfect but just use the conversation part of the app and you will be amazed on what you can get across to the other party. I use Google translate on my day to day life as my wife hates translating for me and you don't want to poke the bear. Ive ordered wood found different products ive needed to do stuff and found places i needed to go from taxi drivers. Another big thing is make sure you check best ways to commute taxi's can get expensive sometimes its best to use subways, trains or walk to get to most places you will waste so much money on taxi's it's not funny. You could also think about buying or finding a free bicycle or something doesnt need to be fancy just needs to be useable if you plan to spend awhile in the country.

Reactions: Bambooza

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
and wonder why video games weren't what they used to be
I don't know if it's the fact I'm out growing them or if it's the fact that the companies really don't seem to put their hearts into it anymore and make it a cash grab.
You grew up & finally realized that most games are modern 'PinBall' games.
They relocate the bumpers and the flashing lights but the games are exactly the same.

YEP.........a money grab. After all, it is just business -- not personal.
STAR CITIZEN is quite different and will change the gaming industry for many years to come.

Thank you for your Pledges.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
May I also suggest - the Philappines?
Nice country - very nice people.
Thailand is fun lol im not going to tell you the crazy stuff i saw there but yeah might be worth a trip. Not to mention you can get a huge hotel room(pretty much a fancy appartment) for like 60 usd a night. Check out the hotel booking site Agoda if you are looking to book hotels in asia usually they have the best prices.

Reactions: Hero9012
Forgot your password?