Third starter

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
So the poll is up, But I don't really care about what you voted for. What I *AM* curious about is this: do you think the addition of any of these 4 concepts will sufficiently differentiate the field when compared against existing starter ships? With the existing starters, we already have a combat oriented and a utility oriented ship; personally, I think the dragonfly bears a little too close a resemblance to the mustang, and the terrapin sounds like an uparmored aurora. The Aegis and MISC offerings sound like the largest departures (MISC's moreso than Aegis'.) to date, especially with the two seater Reliant. My only concern ([Concern]) is that somehow the voting swings back toward one of the models that fills a role we already have covered.

Thoughts?

Reactions: CitizenDad

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Voted for the Ageis mini-miner. That would be an awesome way to go when an Orion is too big/not enough crew.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Of the 4 I see two really adding to the game the mose, that's the Aegis terrapin and the MISC reliant.

The terrapin adds a starter for mining, I can imagine a large mining vessel using a fleet of these to pick out rare resources while the main ship drills through anything without a care.

The MISC however adds the most important thing in my books, a 2-seater starter! I know lots of couples who game together and having a starter ship where they can both sit in the cockpit of one ship from day one without having to blow $100 on the game, that's a big thing.

As much as I like Aegis designs, I think I have to go MISC on this one.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I voted for the Terrapin. I think a starter heavy/mining ship would be a great way to get into the game.

It looks like the MISC is going to win. I didn't think many would share my sentiments on a mining/heavy ship, and it'll be nice to get a 2-seater.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I voted for the Terrapin, seems like the most "different" of the options to me. I can see where you're coming from on the "Terrapin is just an uparmored Aurora" statement, but I don't really agree. Unless I've missed something somewhere, the Aurora doesn't really have mining capabilities; it's primarily a merchant ship. Even though the description mentions mining as somewhat of an optional afterthought, I really think that feature makes it the most unique/useful option. I'm not particularly interested in a miner myself, but it seems like something that a lot of people would be interested in getting started in early.

Looks like the two-seater is going to run away with it though.

deathstrike

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
deathstrike
Personally, I don't see the point of the Hurricane. What do you like about it?
It sounds like a tougher little fighter, would make a good addition to mix up fleets of smaller fighters. It would be cool to see pirate groups of mixed auroras and hurricanes (wihtout the mil style hornet in there so much). Plus I have a soft spot for the Hawker Hurricane which did much of the work in the Battle of Britain and didn't get much credit.

Reactions: CrashMan054

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
It sounds like a tougher little fighter, would make a good addition to mix up fleets of smaller fighters. It would be cool to see pirate groups of mixed auroras and hurricanes (wihtout the mil style hornet in there so much). Plus I have a soft spot for the Hawker Hurricane which did much of the work in the Battle of Britain and didn't get much credit.
Could probably throw in some dragonflies to swarm and distract, if they ever get added.
Honestly, I've got nothing against the dragonfly. It sounds a bit like a Tri-Fighter from Star Wars: light, fast, and nimble, but lacking armor. I'd love to get one, but certainly not when I'm just starting out.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I voted MISC Reliant for three reasons:

1. I'm a big fan of the MISC series, particularly the Freelancer MAX, so I'd like to see a starter ship from this company. Perhaps a compact space truck type ship to the Freelancer's full-size space truck role.
2. Vertical ships kind of breaks the norm of what we've been getting, save for the Khartu-Al scout ship.
3. The name reminds me of the USS Reliant from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan; correctly identified as the best Star Trek movie to date.

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
3. The name reminds me of the USS Reliant from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan; correctly identified as the best Star Trek movie to date.

the name remembers me of a reliant robin!
for the ones who dont know what they are:

they are kinda similar. they would rolle rather well :P

now jokes aside
Im more interestet in the 2 seater part than anything else

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
So the poll is up, But I don't really care about what you voted for. What I *AM* curious about is this: do you think the addition of any of these 4 concepts will sufficiently differentiate the field when compared against existing starter ships? With the existing starters, we already have a combat oriented and a utility oriented ship; personally, I think the dragonfly bears a little too close a resemblance to the mustang, and the terrapin sounds like an uparmored aurora. The Aegis and MISC offerings sound like the largest departures (MISC's moreso than Aegis'.) to date, especially with the two seater Reliant. My only concern ([Concern]) is that somehow the voting swings back toward one of the models that fills a role we already have covered.

Thoughts?
I was hoping for something a little different and while we are starting to the area of "saturation" or whatever you want to call it, I think about how almost all Hatchbacks from the 80's look, sound, feel kinda the same. So I guess it doesn't really concern me that much. And 100% agreed the Dragonfly is awfully similar to the Mustang, and the Terrapin does certainly strike me as an unarmored auroa. I have yet to vote. What should I vote for? I have a few friends and family that are asking me what they should vote for too. I will sell you our votes to the highest bidder! Or for one beer at next years CitizenCon :)

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
  • Dragonfly’s have become the favorite of a particular brand of enthusiast that frequently gather together to share their modifications, off-track race… and other less legitimate “hobbies.”
street racing and piracy, fuck yeah!

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
  • Dragonfly’s have become the favorite of a particular brand of enthusiast that frequently gather together to share their modifications, off-track race… and other less legitimate “hobbies.”
street racing and piracy, fuck yeah!
As someone who was an actual Puget Sound Pirate [Arrrgh], and someone who also had their Track-prepped, Trailer'd, Turbo Civic Hatch crushed for street racing.. I am Voting Dragonfly for sure. Maynard you win a Freeee Beeer :)

One of my hatchback'ss when it was "slow".

Police crushing cars for street racing:

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I personally would want a Dragonfly the most. Because SPACE MOTORCYCLE FUCK YEAHHHHH

But I voted for the Reliant, because I think a 2-seater starter ship would be an awesome way to get some new people in game, especially if its a neat little hauler.

Forgot your password?