This is why Killboards matter

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
My answer? Keep your stinking killboards/killmails out of my Star Citizen. If they're introduced, it's going to encourage a nasty mindset of oneupmanship that could kill the game for most casual players.

I mean, just look at EVE...

Reactions: CrashMan054

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I came here to fly pretendy fun-time internet spaceships and drink beer. And the pretend spaceships don't even exist yet. Overlord, I don't think anyone's denying that having practice in dogfighting will be helpful come the PU, but it's a GAME. We're here to have fun, not stress about KDR. The top ten lists we should worry about are best beers in the 'verse.

The people who want to be good dogfighters will practice, and will be good dogfighters regardless of the existance of killboards. For the rest of us, killboards are just an unnecessary stressor.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I don't see the point? I thought the point of this game was to drink and wreck internet space ships? The whole leader-board thing only serves to create elitist pricks anyways, lets just play to have a good time. Cheers!
Or you can have fun and be competent at the same time. Awesome!

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I think you're failing to recognize how competent a lot of testies already are.[/QUOT]]

Sure there are competent TESTies. But how many are there? 1391 main members? And how many actively play AC? But hey, if people want to keep making TEST a punchline then that's fine. But I don't believe having fun and promoting a K/B are mutually exclusive or diametrically opposed - unless you make it so. And I certainly don't think being competitive means you're an 'elitist prick'. In fact, I would say the opposite: it's the people who demand only one kind of gameplay or flip others off for attempting to improve competency as elitist. And maybe now it's all amusing and fun theory crafting and joking about crashing ships but you may not be so jovial when you're floating in empty space staring at the remnants of your 890 Jump.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
The real issue here isn't with you wanting people to play AC, get good at combat, or benefit the org in the PU. The issue is perception that you're espousing the win at all costs strategy, which is kind of a dickbag way to play. Play AC a lot - Yes. Get good at combat - yes. Stack BR to get your name higher up on the leaderboards - No, that's a dick move. This is TEST, we don't really care about leaderboards.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
The real issue here isn't with you wanting people to play AC, get good at combat, or benefit the org in the PU. The issue is perception that you're espousing the win at all costs strategy, which is kind of a dickbag way to play. Play AC a lot - Yes. Get good at combat - yes. Stack BR to get your name higher up on the leaderboards - No, that's a dick move. This is TEST, we don't really care about leaderboards.
I never said at all costs. I believe you are putting words in my mouth. I am just saying rewarding people for their efforts, whether it is supporting killboards, trade and industry, mining or simply improving the website is a good thing. But I certainly am not going to sit by and cry about how people play the game. I will use whatever game mechanic is available, especially if I see other corps using it. And if you think this is a dickag way of doing things then so be it. I have no problem with that, but this dickbag will be defending your ships.

kiltedfrog

Commander
Sep 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Starfish
I never said at all costs. I believe you are putting words in my mouth. I am just saying rewarding people for their efforts, whether it is supporting killboards, trade and industry, mining or simply improving the website is a good thing. But I certainly am not going to sit by and cry about how people play the game. I will use whatever game mechanic is available, especially if I see other corps using it. And if you think this is a dickag way of doing things then so be it. I have no problem with that, but this dickbag will be defending your ships.
Ships will need less defending if people don't see TEST and think "what a bunch of dickbags, lets kill them."

Edit: I a word.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
We aren't putting words in your mouth. This is what you're saying. You may not be saying it directly, but all of your posts emphasize the "win at all costs" strategy. If you'd listen to what we're saying, you'd know just how much that will hurt the game in general if everyone plays like that.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
We aren't putting words in your mouth. This is what you're saying. You may not be saying it directly, but all of your posts emphasize the "win at all costs" strategy. If you'd listen to what we're saying, you'd know just how much that will hurt the game in general if everyone plays like that.
My strategy is to use the same mechanics other corps are using. Besides, what is winning? That would depend on your definition of winning. For me it is amazing a fortune. But hey, I have heard arguments against Killboards and how it will 'hurt the game' all over the forums but guess what, CIG thinks its a good idea and so do I. Perhaps you should listen to yourself because it sounds like this game may not be for you. Moreover, if there is a mechanic that hurts the game then I am sure CIG will put an end to it. In the meantime I am not going to ignore a legitimate mechanic until CIG decides it really hurts the game.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
My strategy is to use the same mechanics other corps are using. Besides, what is winning? That would depend on your definition of winning. For me it is amazing a fortune. But hey, I have heard arguments against Killboards and how it will 'hurt the game' all over the forums but guess what, CIG thinks its a good idea and so do I. Perhaps you should listen to yourself because it sounds like this game may not be for you.
CIG does not agree with this kind of shit. Ask anyone on the forums and they'll tell you that. This isn't EVE, CIG is trying to build a much better community from the start instead of trying to fix it later like EVE.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
My strategy is to use the same mechanics other corps are using. Besides, what is winning? That would depend on your definition of winning. For me it is amazing a fortune. But hey, I have heard arguments against Killboards and how it will 'hurt the game' all over the forums but guess what, CIG thinks its a good idea and so do I. Perhaps you should listen to yourself because it sounds like this game may not be for you. Moreover, if there is a mechanic that hurts the game then I am sure CIG will put an end to it. In the meantime I am not going to ignore a legitimate mechanic until CIG decides it really hurts the game.
And you know what really hurts the game? People who demand other people play a certain way and makes demands on others. This not only hurts the game but creates an atmosphere of elitist who look down on others.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
CIG does not agree with this kind of shit. Ask anyone on the forums and they'll tell you that. This isn't EVE, CIG is trying to build a much better community from the start instead of trying to fix it later like EVE.
I applaud their efforts and will play what ever mechanic they put out there. But given that some people think that spying is a dickbag thing to do, does that mean CIG is going to attempt to stop people spying? Nope, in fact they are actually encouraging it! So you might want to reconsider what is shit and what isn't because that will be CIG's final say - not yours.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I applaud their efforts and will play what ever mechanic they put out there. But given that some people think that spying is a dickbag thing to do, does that mean CIG is going to attempt to stop people spying? Nope, in fact they are actually encouraging it! So you might want to reconsider what is shit and what isn't because that will be CIG's final say - not yours.
I never said I had any say in the game, Overlord. I said that CIG has already stated that they will crack down on players like you, who are focused only on winning, even if it means exploiting game mechanics or generally being an arse.

Spying is an example of something that will be in the game no matter what. This is a sim, spying is part of that. You really need to remember that this is a game.

Again, read what I'm posting. Don't automatically get defensive and ignore everything I'm saying just because you don't agree with it.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I think we're all getting a bit too excited and looking into this too much. The fact is, TEST is an all-playstyle org. We aren't going to be particularly organized except for a core of ~100 odd dedicated players that will grow as the org grows. The vast, vast majority will be casuals who just want to have a bit of fun, and enjoy the benefits of a large org without having to dedicate much to it other than a bit of loyalty. TEST is here to let people experience star citizen as it was meant to be experienced: big ships, big guns, and big angry swarms of drunken pilots.

A lot of those who will play more seriously are here because they don't want anyone lording over them or limiting what they can do. We're here for freedom, friendship, and booze. Not necessarily competitiveness. It just so happens that a lot of us are really, really good pilots anyway.

Seriously guys, I'm not too impressed with how you're treating the OP. He just voiced his opinion, and the way he intends to play it. No one is insulting each other yet, but I am reading quite a bit of hostility/anti-elitism here. We support all play styles, and if he's gonna do that, then have at it! Just realize that most of us will take a more "sporting" approach to the whole thing.

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
And you know what really hurts the game? People who demand other people play a certain way and makes demands on others. This not only hurts the game but creates an atmosphere of elitist who look down on others.
We never told you not to play how you want to. And this org isn't a dictatorship, no one is going to tell you what you can or can't do. We just said we don't want to worry about killboards, and we don't want to use tactics that lead to us being branded as assholes across the 'verse. and as turns out, we can play as we wish; even if CIG does enable unsavory tactics, we still have the choice to not use them.

Reactions: CrashMan054

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I never said I had any say in the game, Overlord. I said that CIG has already stated that they will crack down on players like you, who are focused only on winning, even if it means exploiting game mechanics or generally being an arse.

Spying is an example of something that will be in the game no matter what. This is a sim, spying is part of that. You really need to remember that this is a game.

Again, read what I'm posting. Don't automatically get defensive and ignore everything I'm saying just because you don't agree with it.
Well, all I can say is if CIG actually punishes people for using certain game mechanics I have no problem with that. In fact I would prefer it that way instead of CCP letting people run a muck. But if they DO NOT I am going to use game mechanics to my advantage - that is all I am saying. It would seem you are getting pretty upset and bent out of shape over this simple statement. Remember, it's only a game.

Forgot your password?