Thoughts about and around Star Citizen: Around the Verse 3.9 - UK

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I'm seeing no problem in that. With this mechanic you only scan what you want to scan. Plus, this discussion seems to me like "making problems because I want problems where actually are no ones" ;)

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I'm seeing no problem in that. With this mechanic you only scan what you want to scan. Plus, this discussion seems to me like "making problems because I want problems where actually are no ones" ;)
It just looks to me very "simplified", while it could be much more cool.
for example give me a console where i could setup
a "coneshaped active ping" with an aperture angle of 1 - 360° (360° would be a whole surround scan)
let me choose ping strength
let me choose a ping amount

an high ping strength is most likely to be detectable over a long distance, but you'll scan out your target on long distances better.
a high ping cone opening angle would increase the chance of getting detected from more people around you (I'm not able to describe it better, "Ei'm dschust a sdubit gärman")
A high ping amount increases your chance of actually detecting you target and finding out what you want to know

3 examples
a long distance, low detectable precise scan:
Cone 1°
Strength 100%
ping amount 5x

Result would be: There is one freelancer, with cargo, guns xxx and no qantum fuel in sector 1434x3721x1378, distance 4000 km

a low distance overview scan
Cone 360°
Strength 25 %
ping amount 1x

Result would be: There is one ship somewhere not far away

a here "i am too stupid to use the scanner"-scan
Cone 360°
Strength 100 %
ping amount 50x

Result would be: There is a fleet on its way to drop on your head

easy to setup, but skillful to use.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
a "coneshaped active ping" with an aperture angle of 1 - 360° (360° would be a whole surround scan)

an high ping strength is most likely to be detectable over a long distance, but you'll scan out your target on long distances better.
a high ping cone opening angle would increase the chance of getting detected from more people around you (I'm not able to describe it better, "Ei'm dschust a sdubit gärman")
A high ping amount increases your chance of actually detecting you target and finding out what you want to know

3 examples
Cone 1°
Strength 100%
ping amount 5x

Result would be: There is one freelancer, with cargo, guns xxx and no qantum fuel in sector 1434x3721x1378, distance 4000 km

Cone 360°
Strength 25 %
ping amount 1x

Cone 360°
Strength 100 %
ping amount 50x

I'd love to see a system like this implemented on EWAR and larger ships! I think it makes perfect sense!
A fully customizable system like this could also be an upgrade option from a simple "golf-swing" scanner, but due to it's size or power needs it would only fit specific or multicrew ships, not a base aurora. They could still keep the golf-swing mechanic even with a system like this. This could add actual things to do for the crew or even the co-pilot, and by having to upgrade to a system like this, ppl who want to go deeper into "scanning" could, and those who just want to fly around and fight could keep using the basic version, with lower chance of detection but higher chance of being detected.

When I see something like this system described it in ATV it always seems like a complete perfect system, but I think it's important to have an upgrade route that is not just a simple boost in stats to that system, and start with something that doesn't work as perfectly! Remember how you had to upgrade the radar in Privateer before it could even tell if the ship coming at you full speed with guns blazing was a friend or foe? Yeah, I want that level of upgrades, And this radar system is a prime target for this :D

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
Ya, that was the only disappointment in an otherwise awesome report. I know, I know, we haven't actually tried it yet... but meh.
My sediments too. Came across a post on reddit, which pointed out the scanning in a good game called Limit Theory. Here's a link to the scanning system in that game.

View: http://youtu.be/YBf1odVtlWk

They seemed to be on a better path to making radar scanning more immersive and fun.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
2:59 - That Aquila scanner looks a lot different than the mark 3. Also, it looks like there is a bulkhead where you would expect it to be based on the Andromeda. Could that finally be the Mark IV version of the Aquila?
EDIT 7:12 - yeah, that's definitely the new version. Looks like it's getting close to being flyable?

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Curious as to why they think no one uses the boost button. I use it *all the time*, it's a great way to mitigate drifting when making sharp turns.

Crake

Admiral
Apr 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Crakez
Curious as to why they think no one uses the boost button. I use it *all the time*, it's a great way to mitigate drifting when making sharp turns.
Well I think with the changes they are proposing it makes a lot of sense. I am in the same boat, but if they are altering how the ships fly this drastically I imagine this (which is likely already used by fairly few people) would become even more negligible in it's usefulness. Even though I use it regularly it did feel a bit lacking.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
Drank a couple of shots and my brain started processing again. While it kinda' pissed me off that instead of addressing the Warden directly, they decided to throw in yet another Vanguard variant, I realized this may not be a bad thing, 'cause:
- makin' it also a drop ship may lead to developing some stealth tech for the Vanguard, rather sooner than later;
- since there's no pod and a larger door...and I think they mentioned some storage space...what if I can fit a bike inside a Hoplite?

Or...I may just be drunk enough to be optimistic.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

3 examples
Cone 1°
Strength 100%
ping amount 5x

Cone 360°
Strength 25 %
ping amount 1x

Cone 360°
Strength 100 %
ping amount 50x

The "Cone" you're talking about is better called the "radiation pattern" of any given antenna. CIG has said in the past that you will be able to swap out portions of your scan setup in order to enhance some functions at the detriment of others. My guess is what you talk about above, to be able to do both a high power 360* pattern, and a narrow focus high gain pattern will only be possible on ships that have enough room for a larger scan setup.

Typically, the way to achieve both kinds of results is to confine the radiation pattern with a high-gain parabolic dish antenna and then sweep that narrow focus by rotating the dish. So to do both, basically requires room enough for a rotating dish. That's something I would like to see replace the top turret on a Sentinel, and would be willing maybe to lose a turret on a Redeemer as well.

In any case, its all very exciting to see coming to game soon.

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
CIG has said in the past that you will be able to swap out portions of your scan setup in order to enhance some functions at the detriment of others.

I would hope that a high end scanner could handle all types of scans vs having to go back to base and swap out equipment to scan a specific way. Or for ships built for scanning that they would be able to equip multiple scanners.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

I would hope that a high end scanner could handle all types of scans vs having to go back to base and swap out equipment to scan a specific way. Or for ships built for scanning that they would be able to equip multiple scanners.
I think that is probably so. Just note that EM scanners are completely different from IR scanners,, so if you equip an S2 scan slot with long range EM, you may have to go without long rang IR. Bigger ships will have better and more slots, so the Carrack really will scan a larger area than the Lancer.

Last edited:

JimiJons

Commander
Donor
Sep 5, 2016
RSI Handle
JimiJons
Honestly, all I think reducing SCM speed will do is turn "dogfighting" into space Call of Duty. If everyone can hit everyone, then all that matters is how many hits your ship can take and how powerful your weapons are. Virtually every single light/fast ship will become useless, and the players who spent the time to learn to fly those ships well will have just wasted countless hours to become cannon fodder for a day-old pledgee in a Hornet.

I think a much better solution than just crippling the variable SCMs of all ships would have been to make the arbitrary value of "SCM" the same for all ships at some speed in the middle of the current range, maybe 200 m/s. Afterburner would still be significantly higher for lighter ships, and normal dogfights would all remain fairly close when combatants are not actively attempting to disengage. Additionally, you're not turning space combat into a floating circular waltz of tanks unloading on each other.

Hell, I wouldn't have even minded a speed reduction if it weren't so absurdly large. My Gladius will literally be slower than the current speed of the Connie.

Reactions: AstroSam and Rolo

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
Some of the scanner ideas and stuff you guys have highlighted is pretty awesome too. I guess this is like when you get shown a new piece of technology that you didn't realise you wanted. It's worth noting that what we were seeing currently just isn't the fully fleshed out system for radar scanning.

Regardless, i'm sure if it makes sense and can be done better then CR will be all behind a revamp of the radar stuff for something "cooler" or with more depth. I can see what they are trying to do though, they want it to be easy for single seater solo players to use without having to look at consoles and stuff.

Reactions: AstroSam and Rolo

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
My sediments too. Came across a post on reddit, which pointed out the scanning in a good game called Limit Theory. Here's a link to the scanning system in that game.

View: http://youtu.be/YBf1odVtlWk

They seemed to be on a better path to making radar scanning more immersive and fun.
I've been following Limit Theory a long time and I have high hopes for it, if Josh ever pulls things together and gets back to posting his dev vlog

Josh Parnell said:
August 12th, 2016
Yikes, a few things certainly need to be said:
1. I've not abandoned you all. You may not see me, but I am with you! By that, I mean, I'm in this office working on LT.
On the Aquila, yes, that is Mark IV

(edit) By comparison:

Reactions: AstroSam

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Holy crap! My Aquilla came back from the shop lookin seeeeexy... The only issue is that damn sunvisor. I really hoped they would have done away with that sillyness.

Forgot your password?