Thoughts on 0.9

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
So I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the new patch, mine are fairly mixed at the moment

So the new hangars are very pretty, though I do kind of miss my old business hangar, the aeroview one is so spacious. I'm not sure if it's just me but we seem to no-longer have consoles for changing weapons or a weapons testing area, which kinda sucks, but maybe I just need to explore more.

The flight controls are so much better, I actually feel like I'm flying now I don't have thrusters as strong as my main engine! Everything feels faster, and okay we are moving at roughly twice the speed, but it's also the fact that turning circles are bigger, giving you a bonus to lowering the throttle before a turn. I've not messed about with the 6DoF options yet, but standard flight is much improved. The increased speed and looser handling also makes the sparse obstacles in the 2 combat maps much more interesting, I found myself having to dodge them while chasing a vanduul and I felt like a much more skilled pilot for doing so.

On the other hand shooting has become a lot harder, I'm not sure if it's because I have a fairly cheap joystick and I'm not overly skilled with it, but I've gone from being able to take down about 1 vanduul every 30 seconds to taking about 2 mins each (assuming I don't use missiles) I'm sure people with better joysticks/more joystick practice are faring better, but at one point I swapped to mouse aim and everything was fine. I like the idea of lead target indicators, but I feel the computer assisted aiming should kick in a little bit sooner atm.

Racing is good fun, especially thanks to the new flight controls, my current best lap time is 1:34:98 in a 300i trainer on the first course. The course itself is nice, and it feels really good drifting around those turns and using the boost o overcharge your thrusters and get your nose pointing through the hoops rather than at them.

The sound.... so much better, I've not narrowed down what is better about the sound, but it feels like everything makes more sense now, noise when enemies fly close by gives you that little edge to avoid (or ensure) a crash etc.

I'm looking forward to trying coop with some people, but the 'friend codes' are apparently just a temporary code for the one match you are hosting, I was hoping for some kind of friend list.

That's about it for my first impressions after about 30mins in game. Interested to hear what you are all finding. especially for those with the asteroid hangar or the new ships?

SchrimPanzer

Captain
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
schrimpanzer
I played it for 3 minutes, then raged (and wrote bug threads) about the motion blur. Eating popcorn now as the counter-rage ensues (pre-alpha, gtfo, etc).

That said, the motion blur does me feel very drunk. So I suppose it's in theory a good thing?

the_angry_angel

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
the_angry_angel
So I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the new patch, mine are fairly mixed at the moment
Ditto. However mostly because I was secretly hoping the KB+M inputs would be different. They haven't really changed and still feel very weird and I really cannot get used to them :( Admittedly this is my failing. Perhaps I'm just too used to ED's setup (if anyone's got any tips or suggestions if I should try a stick or gamepad preferentially, I've love to hear it).

The new self-land hangar is an improvement over the basic one I had. Looks cooler imho. Didn't spend much time investigating through it though.

Sound I didn't really notice, had to have it turned down pretty quiet last night (the woes of temporarily living in an apartment block) and I was too lazy to find headphones.

Performance wise I had to drop from "very high" to "high" to get frame rates that wouldn't suddenly drop. Seem to be getting some texture pop in problems that I wasn't having before. Alpha is alpha and all that though :)

Couldn't get on any games last night, at all. Kinda expected I guess.

Good patch content wise imho.

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
the asteroid hangar looks pretty awesome, tons of detail and it's huge. can't wait to see the caterpillar and starfarer in there.

the m50 is pretty tits. nimble little fucker. you can black/red out very easily in it. i've raced a few MP matches but never hit my best laptime from drone sim, 1:12, in mp i was more like 1:40+

i also raced my aurora. you run out of boost so fast, but i was all tortoise and the hare. kept passing m50s and 350rs as people blacked out and crashed. i'd slowly zoom by theb a minute later they'd come blasting past (while blacked out) and hit the wall. pretty fun.

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
also the m50 was pretty terrible at killing vanduul in co-op
you can out accelerate a missile, but you can't hit shit with the class 1 weapons. the m3a at least is pretty hard to get a kill with.
Mass drivers on the other hand still hit hard as hell. put those fuckers on there.

the_angry_angel

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
the_angry_angel
Ok, so I've just had my first public race. Came in 2nd in a 300i, against some Hornets and M50s. Feeling pretty good about that :D Guess after all my bitching I'm not *that* bad with a KB+M.

Wish it would show on the leaderboards what ships people were setting the times in though :x

If you've not done a race yet, I highly encourage you to try :D

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
hornets have a really hard time hitting the m50. last night i only died in the m50 due to crash, i was not shot down once.
granted i only have 1 kill in the m50, but there are dozens of pissed of hornet pilots that i did hundreds and hundreds in damage to and then was gone before they could turn around.
it is not fun being harried by an m50. they probably won't kill you, but they'll fuck you up enough anyone else nearby can. If you're wanting to harass people, dogfight with a m50. And if the merlin flies anything like the m50 then the snub fighters are going to be my favorites, i think.

Macabre Poetry

Official Signature Generator Bot
Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
So I switched to a mouse and keyboard for .9 and it's working well for me. I'm probably moving to a stick mouse combo in the long run.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Been playing with mainly M+KB, having a lot of fun (although aiming in relative mode is really hard). Still trying to get used to a joystick, been playing a bit of IL-2 Sturmovik as a more stable "trainer" game.

0.9 targeting is a bit wonky. M+KB Hornets just wipe the floor with Hornets/300is/Auroras with Joysticks at the moment. That extra aiming you get from a Mouse is such a big advantage.

But I'm sure that this isn't the final version. All said and done, I much prefer the lead indicator to the prior aiming system, and I think this is a big step in the right direction. Just needs a few tweaks to how gimbaled guns work for HOTAS/Joystick users, and M/KB people who prefer relative mode (me!).

Tried out the 350R, melted it for an M50. Racing isn't my cup of tea, but they both seem like all right ships. Probably gonna melt it down and get a Mustang + Cutlass variants whenever they come out.

Also; any other M+KB users finding a bit of input lag with the latest patch? I seem to be shaking all over the place!

Macabre Poetry

Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
Been playing with mainly M+KB, having a lot of fun (although aiming in relative mode is really hard). Still trying to get used to a joystick, been playing a bit of IL-2 Sturmovik as a more stable "trainer" game.

0.9 targeting is a bit wonky. M+KB Hornets just wipe the floor with Hornets/300is/Auroras with Joysticks at the moment. That extra aiming you get from a Mouse is such a big advantage.

But I'm sure that this isn't the final version. All said and done, I much prefer the lead indicator to the prior aiming system, and I think this is a big step in the right direction. Just needs a few tweaks to how gimbaled guns work for HOTAS/Joystick users, and M/KB people who prefer relative mode (me!).

Tried out the 350R, melted it for an M50. Racing isn't my cup of tea, but they both seem like all right ships. Probably gonna melt it down and get a Mustang + Cutlass variants whenever they come out.

Also; any other M+KB users finding a bit of input lag with the latest patch? I seem to be shaking all over the place!
I switched to the M+KB too. I'm shredding everyone in my Hornet. I'm not noticing much input lag at all, could have just been server issues for this evening.

But I am a huge fan of the lead indicators.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
The aiming change has really grown on me, now it still needs tweaking as I do think it's jsut a bit too hard to hit things with joystick right now, but when I hit I really feel skilled compared to before. I also had to learn how to use my joystick much more carefully, gently leaning on it rather than jerking it around like I did previously.

One important thing to know for people who want to use thier aurora/m50/300/350 with gimbling is you can go on the holotable, take the class 2 mounts off other ships and put them onto the ship you plan to use. There is even a bonus class 2 mount on the weapon test mount that you can rip off! I ripped that off and the front gimbal from my 300i and shoved them both on an aurora and actually managed to hold my own against hornets multiplayer. Okay they still kicked my arse, but they took damage and I even got a kill or two! That was using HOTAM (hands on throttle and mouse).

I kinda wish they let us dogfight on the racing level, that would be fun.

Macabre Poetry

Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
That's a good idea... I really should switch to the gimbals, then I can gain my self respect back and use my joystick.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I kinda wish they let us dogfight on the racing level, that would be fun.
Hell yeah. Death Race. That even solves the problem with M50s/350Rs getting matched with Hornets and Auroras. Racers are fast as lightning, but they lack firepower. Whereas a Hornet might be able to just blow all its competition out of the water and coast to victory!

Reactions: JoeCool4433

Macabre Poetry

Apr 24, 2014
RSI Handle
MacabrePoetry
Hell yeah. Death Race. That even solves the problem with M50s/350Rs getting matched with Hornets and Auroras. Racers are fast as lightning, but they lack firepower. Whereas a Hornet might be able to just blow all its competition out of the water and coast to victory!
Upscale Mario Kart

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
hornets have a really hard time hitting the m50. last night i only died in the m50 due to crash, i was not shot down once.
granted i only have 1 kill in the m50, but there are dozens of pissed of hornet pilots that i did hundreds and hundreds in damage to and then was gone before they could turn around.
it is not fun being harried by an m50. they probably won't kill you, but they'll fuck you up enough anyone else nearby can. If you're wanting to harass people, dogfight with a m50. And if the merlin flies anything like the m50 then the snub fighters are going to be my favorites, i think.
Nice. I can envision your shit-eating troll grin! So M50 is definitely a purchase you're feeling good about? Still debating an M50 vs a 350R. Sort of seems like M50 will be more nimble, agile like a rally car whereas the 350R is more like a dragster, focusing on top speed?

Snub fighters will be very interesting. We'll just have to be careful who we leave in control on the main ship while we're piloting the snub, haha!

Forgot your password?