Timetable on upcoming pc hardware releases this year(new CPU's and GPU's)?

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I have been hanging on with my 5 year old PC (2500k, 16 gig ram, SATA SSD, GTX 1070) and am looking to finally go nuts this year and get a new system. Any idea when the newer CPU's and GPU's will be releasing? I thought summer was usually the time when these things happen, but I am not up on the latest release rumors. I also don't want to get a top end system and then have some amazing new release a month later. I would appreciate any info or even speculation.

Reactions: Scape and Deroth

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
I have been hanging on with my 5 year old PC (2500k, 16 gig ram, SATA SSD, GTX 1070) and am looking to finally go nuts this year and get a new system. Any idea when the newer CPU's and GPU's will be releasing? I thought summer was usually the time when these things happen, but I am not up on the latest release rumors. I also don't want to get a top end system and then have some amazing new release a month later. I would appreciate any info or even speculation.
I'm slowly getting back into that since I decided I may need an upgrade. I usually overbuild my systems so they last a long time. your 1070 still have life in it so you may just be looking at board/cpu/ram/disk upgrade. That will save you a little bit

Reactions: Scape and Deroth

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Maybe my internal clock is way off, but i think around summertime or early fall is when they start releasing new hot stuff.

Reactions: Scape

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I'm slowly getting back into that since I decided I may need an upgrade. I usually overbuild my systems so they last a long time. your 1070 still have life in it so you may just be looking at board/cpu/ram/disk upgrade. That will save you a little bit
I am going to keep this one intact for my kids, so I will be building a brand new machine from the ground up.

Reactions: Scape

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
There is usually stuff around the dads and grads timeline, and then around the winter holidays.

Nvidia sales are down because (IMO) they prices themselves way too high with the new boards. They were trying to grab some of the profits retailers were getting with the rise of cryptocurrency, but with that crashing, demand is returning to normal, and the everyday gamer won’t pay 1000 bucks for a graphics card they will replace in 2-3 years.

You would have thought NVIDIA learned their lesson the last time they tried to price hardware this high and should have recognized the pricing was a bubble and not a true indication of the long term market.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Ice lake may also be coming out this year, which may offer some improvements in performance.

AMD’s new processors have lit a fire under intel and the consumer will benefit greatly.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
AMD has Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 series) coming around May/June. They're probably aiming for May, for their 50th anniversary. Their new GPUs (Navi) latter half. Nvidia just came out with their GPUs, but they have GTX 1660 coming. Any new GPUs from them will either be similar mid range cards without the RTX or Titan level. Intel just had their release late last year. They haven't got their 10nm production working properly, so it's slowed down progress on that front.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaldoWohin

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
They did actually release one CPU on 10nm last year, just so they could tell their investors that they've begun shipping them.
It was a low-end i3. For laptops. In China only. That somehow performed worse with lower clocks, while using more power, and was bigger than a similar 14nm CPU, despite lacking integrated graphics.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?