Tired of rethinking my fleet

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I have been rethinking my fleet for a trade/hauling and exploration fleet. and mulling over adding a cat and Bmm to my exploration fleet . However after several days of mulling it over and looking at cargo capacity verses credits I have decided neither. It all comes down to profit margins, With that it boils down to adding a Beerfarer to me fleet again. So it looks like my terrapin is going to be upgraded to a beerfarer later today and my hornet ghost is going to become a shiny new Saber the 24th. I still have a cat ccu in my buyback so I can always add a cat at some future point. but for now the beerfarer is definitely the best bang for the buck with its own refinery and over 3k cargo space. what I like is so far I have managed to get my entire fleet to LTI with my current setup.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Yep at some point I decided with all my ships able to do some level of cargo hauling, was a dedicated hauler really worth it? In the end I'm settling on going exploration and master of industries. To that effect I've decided to become a Richard Branson and get 2 genesis Starliners and maybe a 890J. My Polaris and vanguard will give support as needed and my starfarrer of course fueling. Freelancer DUR will be getting the exotic alcohols, while carrack will be exploring to find new business to expand to, new mapping routes, resources and of course exotic alcohols from even more far away places with some trading.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I have struggled with this same quandary myself. That is why I have decided to clamp down on my urges to reorganize until further gameplay mechanics come out. Profitability is is a huge factor, but fun is key. SH for shooting stuff, Carrack as my centerpiece\Homeship, and a Freelancer Max to solve the potential profitability issues I'll have with keeping the Carrack out in the black. Now as to whether or not that will be a good balance or not will be up to how gameplay shapes out. Patience is a virtue that I keep struggling with lately, and I'm sad to say that the Cutlass rework is looking very interesting....haha I suck.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I have struggled with this same quandary myself. That is why I have decided to clamp down on my urges to reorganize until further gameplay mechanics come out. Profitability is is a huge factor, but fun is key. SH for shooting stuff, Carrack as my centerpiece\Homeship, and a Freelancer Max to solve the potential profitability issues I'll have with keeping the Carrack out in the black. Now as to whether or not that will be a good balance or not will be up to how gameplay shapes out. Patience is a virtue that I keep struggling with lately, and I'm sad to say that the Cutlass rework is looking very interesting....haha I suck.
a carrack as your home ship is pretty smart, even using an exploration ship to haul. once pirates start realizing that explorers are carrying food stuffs and fuel and not many trade goods, I don't see them being a profitable hit for long in the verse. once pirates see that they will seek out better waters. so to a pirate an exploration ship is always going to be hit or miss, with miss happening most of the time.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
but for now the beerfarer is definitely the best bang for the buck with its own refinery and over 3k cargo space
Keep in mind that only ~900 SCU of those 3000 are for dry cargo. I too have big dreams of cargo hauling, and my ship of choice was also the Starfarer.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Keep in mind that only ~900 SCU of those 3000 are for dry cargo. I too have big dreams of cargo hauling, and my ship of choice was also the Starfarer.
still, 900 verses a cats 500, its a no brainer. plus you can refine fuel with no cost, and we all love free money
I also remember seeing a picture of the tanks on a starfarer replaced with cargo pods, will have to look for that tonight.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
tanks on a starfarer replaced with cargo pods
Yep, it can, but (from Starfarer Q&A P3):

Can ALL the fuel and refining equipment be removed from either variant in favor for an all-cargo carrying version?
No, you’ll always have internal fuel support systems taking up some space. Think of it this way: on the Hull series, the cargo is fully separate from the ship and the job of the ship is only picking it up and dropping it off. On the Starfarer, the ship has to interface directly with the fuel pods in flight… so there’s all sorts of internal plumbing to support this.

Buuuuuuuuuuut, I imagine the Starfarer will offer better protection than the Hull series, so it's a compromise that might be worth it.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I have so many ships and my fleet went through so many iterations, but I've finally locked down.

The Starfarer is a good ship, but like @supitza says, the cargo space is mostly fuel. However, I believe that'll be an amazing money maker.

As for me, my home base will be my Endeavor. Which will be stationed above a planet and mostly anchored. I'll probably go out and make my Carrack my second home.

Trick Shot Bob

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Trick_Shot_Bob
The Caterpillar is a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Modularity is a it's selling point.

Hauler
Transport/Boarding
Salvage
Search and Rescue.
Trade shop
Rumours of a weapons model ect.

Depending on the intended role you could run as one or a mix of the above, wrapped up in a affordable and heavily armoured hull.

It's adaptable and fits well at supporting the needs of a fleet, however it's definitely not a ship you can mini/max.

Edit:typo

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
The Caterpillar is a jack of all trades but a master on none.

Modularity is a it's selling point.

Hauler
Transport/Boarding
Salvage
Search and Rescue.
Trade shop
Rumours or a weapons model ect.

Depending on the intended role you could run as one or a mix of the above wrapped up in a affordable and heavily armoured hull.

It's adaptable and fits well at supporting the needs of a fleet, however it's definitely not a ship you can mini/max.
I like that the cat is very modular, and at some point I will use my ccu and get one. but I can get that anytime. the starfarer will be on sell in 90 minutes, for 24 hours. and there's no question of it being ready for 3.0 as far as some cargo goes.

Trick Shot Bob

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Trick_Shot_Bob
I like that the cat is very modular, and at some point I will use my ccu and get one. but I can get that anytime. the starfarer will be on sell in 90 minutes, for 24 hours. and there's no question of it being ready for 3.0 as far as some cargo goes.
Why buy one when you can simply borrow mine :beers:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
It's been a while since I said it, so it's worth mentioning again here

In Eve Online so many people have freighters that hauling is the poorest paying profession in the game due to competing with each other

Big-time traders never haul their own goods - the value-add for the time spent isn't worth it

You've been warned

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
It's been a while since I said it, so it's worth mentioning again here

In Eve Online so many people have freighters that hauling is the poorest paying profession in the game due to competing with each other

Big-time traders never haul their own goods - the value-add for the time spent isn't worth it

You've been warned
still, in Star citizen everyone will need fuel at some point. Starfafer in 25 minutes

KiwiB1rd

Space Marshal
Apr 14, 2016
RSI Handle
OceanSloth
still, 900 verses a cats 500, its a no brainer. plus you can refine fuel with no cost, and we all love free money
I also remember seeing a picture of the tanks on a starfarer replaced with cargo pods, will have to look for that tonight.
I'm pretty sure the stats haven't been updated since the resize of the Cat so I would think that it is alot more than 500 now

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
All this theory crafting about ships has me thinking.....

I have my favorite ship, the Cutlass, well, ok, I have all 3 variants, so sue me.

Any other ship that I want will wait till I can see them perform in game. I have been flying the Cutlass for so long, that I have gotten use to it, and can handle it pretty well. As far as having all 3 of the Cutlasses, I don't know how they will look after the rework, all we have seen is the Black, and thats not completely done yet. So, once we see them, I will most likely pick one of them to keep. Once I have my hangar whittled down to the final showing, everything else is gonna be turned into credits for guns and equipment.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
once pirates start realizing that explorers are carrying food stuffs and fuel and not many trade goods, I don't see them being a profitable hit for long in the verse.
Appearances will definitely be my friend, because I intend on converting My Carrack to a Herald-like listening post to support my bounty hunting and...er....highly discreet sensitive commodity delivery service. (That is assuming I can swap exploration-type scanners for data sniffing ones) So I'll look like a hum-drum citizen, but I'll have a dark secret. Just like a sex offender! Wait.....nevermind. Like a...uh...OK fine. Like a sex offender WITHOUT poor mustache-related decision making skills. The Street sleeper, as it were.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
One of the reasons the Caterpillar can do salvage is to at least to be able to sell whatever useless explorer ship they find abandoned for scrap! I can even see well equipped Pirate groups having reclaimers for just that purpose. No worries selling the ship then. Just like melting jewellery and selling the gold!.

I agree though deciding on a fleet is not easy there are a huge number of unknowns and I am trying to get ccu to maintain some flexibility.

The caterpillar looks great and I am hoping I can use it as my main ship with whatever modules they eventually release but I am expecting it to be a dog to fly. The starfarer looks much more sensible as a cash earner.

My personal dilemma is whether to melt the Polaris for something much less common and therefore hopefully more useful. (At least less common in test!).

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Jesus, talking with @supitza has me reevaluating everything again.
I currently have a Cat combo, which I'll keep for all purpose stuff and things.
But I also have a Mega Explorers pack that has a Terrapin, DUR, Cutty, Carrack, Bucky, and Harbinger.
My problem is I don't want 7 ships. I only every wanted 4. I'm thinking of downsizing, and just having the Cat Combo, along with a Cutty, Bucky, Warden + BUKs, and maybe, just maybe, a Redeemer. That'll leave me a wad of cash for Cat modules and ???.

Ships are hard.

Forgot your password?