To RAFT or not RAFT?...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Only thing I can think of using the Raft for,...
... Is as a forklift moving large amount of cargo from or to surface from orbit to or from a ship to large to go surface side with.
Maybe transport cargo back and forth to out post or similar within atmosphere.. forklift.
Other than that I see no practical use for it there are way better ships for the task of long huling cargo.

CHEERS! 🍻

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Only thing I can think of using the Raft for,...
... Is as a forklift moving large amount of cargo from or to surface from orbit to or from a ship to large to go surface side with.
Maybe transport cargo back and forth to out post or similar within atmosphere.. forklift.
Other than that I see no practical use for it there are way better ships for the task of long huling cargo.

CHEERS! 🍻
I think you hit on the best use for it. I have a Hull C that's going to depend on ships like that I think, whenever it finally gets into the game.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Okay, real quick:

How long can you last on a space motorcycle, in your underwear, on Microtech?

View attachment 21875View attachment 21876View attachment 21877View attachment 21878View attachment 21879

Turns out, about 5 minutes! I TEST so you don't have to!
I thank you for your sacrifice my friend & I wonder what sorts of looks / expressions would've crossed the faces of the NPC's that discovered your body if they had AI that have emotions. Also, what sort of means would they have used to separated you from the frozen bike? Those that have watched the movie Joe Dirt know where I'm going with this.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
What do you think of the RAFT? Will you get it or replace a ship with it? Why / Why not?

I think its a nice ship for future use, I dont really see a better use for it now compared to what is there. The extra space with the kitchen, gun lockers, space for suits / clothes is very nifty and the only real advantage I can see... But are those not for long distance trips? Is this for long distance trips or what? I'm struggling to identify its place (what makes it different enough, besides looks).

Cheers!
no interest in this ship or any other cargo ship.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
no interest in this ship or any other cargo ship.
I'll be leaving the IAE with having had at least 3 of these, 1 of them being created through CCU's & further upgraded into an SRV & 2 others into other chain CCU ships that might be completed during the next ILW using those warbond CCU's. 1 might end up becoming a Medivac to help take care of people once it's in game.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'll be leaving the IAE with having had at least 3 of these, 1 of them being created through CCU's & further upgraded into an SRV & 2 others into other chain CCU ships that might be completed during the next ILW using those warbond CCU's. 1 might end up becoming a Medivac to help take care of people once it's in game.
how do you piolet 3 at once though

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I understand the future need for this thing. Any IRL trucker will tell they don't get paid while the truck is getting loaded and unloaded. This thing just drops trou, shoots it's load, and leaves. or uses a tractor beam to load up. Of course, I just got it because it looks cool.
Not only this but it can support the large cargo containers which the other smaller ships can't. I am sure we will see lots of these around major cargo ports taking the cargo containers off Hulls and flying them down to the planet side instead of having to unpack and repack containers.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Just noticed something about the RAFT. It has almost 5 times the hydrogen capacity of a MAX, and over 10 times the Quantanium capacity of a MAX. It can go 4.5 billion km in QT before refueling.

I think we found its niche. It is a true long hauler, with a range between refueling that puts any other cargo hauler in the game to shame, much less anything in its size bracket.

This augments the turn-around time of this vessel even more. Fewer stops for fuel, is less time wasted not hauling.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm thinking that the 1 RAFT that I'm keeping will be paired with my BMM. This way, while my BMM is operating as a market, I can take the RAFT around the area to gather resources to trade later on at future ports, since the RAFT containers are the same that would fit inside the cargo hold of the BMM. More than likely, I'll send that ship ahead empty to my next port of sales while wrapping up the marketplace, then catch up with it there.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm thinking that the 1 RAFT that I'm keeping will be paired with my BMM. This way, while my BMM is operating as a market, I can take the RAFT around the area to gather resources to trade later on at future ports, since the RAFT containers are the same that would fit inside the cargo hold of the BMM. More than likely, I'll send that ship ahead empty to my next port of sales while wrapping up the marketplace, then catch up with it there.
It's a solid idea just not sure how you'll pull it off. I can easily see the need/desire to have a ship that can fit in the BMM hanger that can carry one large container being a great pairing. But more than likely you'll just end up needing to hire a local transport to haul to and from the BMM goods that you are selling and buying.

Forgot your password?