To Redeemer or Not to Redeemer

Tyler Klimek

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Idle Storm
So I have an Aegis Avenger and a Cutlass Black. And they are both two pretty looking ships, but I'm debating if I should melt them both down and get the Redeemer.

I need help to make a decision. What would be the pros and cons of this choice...

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I DID THAT THING. I actually melted my Cutlass Black package, Avenger, Gladius LTI, and Aurora MR package for my Redeemer. Now, while *I* don't regret it, you may. Do you want a highly focused combat support ship with limited cargo capability? Does it *need* to have LTI? if so, the redeemer is probably for you!

Now, if you'rew gonna want to haul more than some gear and the boots to use it, and still do gunship-like stuff, you're probably better off keeping the cutlass. It has less firepower than the redeemer, but it has a larger cargo hold.

For what it's worth, I am probably going to buy another avenger or cutlass as well as an aurora package or two to round my hangar back out, since the redeemer will be great for gunship patrols and troop delivery, but not so great for hauling anything larger than a ham sandwich.

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
I wouldn't melt 'em. You're in for what, $170? You've got 2 great ships. You have to be smart if you've got limited ships, like myself. I opted for a Hornet and a Cutlass. Your Avenger is a great fighter, as is the Cutlass. You get decent cargo room with the Cutlass as well for trading.

It's all about launch prep; cargo, exploration, and combat. The Redeemer is too specialized, and pricey imo, for what you get.

If I could only have one relatively inexpensive ship it would be a 'lancer or Cutlass.

Tyler Klimek

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Idle Storm
Well not I have a new idea. What if I melted them for the Constellation Adromada?! That ship seems so nice. Its big (which I want because multiple people can fly with me), and will be great for exploration and trading. The only problem is my alpha/beta status is linked to my avenger. So I guess I can't melt that one down.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
You get a beta pass with all new packages, and you can get alpha module passes for like, 5 bucks each. The only true decider on melting a package or not for a lot of people is how much they value LTI.

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
Ya of course the Connie is a great ship, but you have to really think about operational cost and crew. That's you and.. what 3 more to crew that ship properly? Not the easiest launch plan, not impossible either... I just think the single seaters, or 2 crew ships, will be the best ticket at launch.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
For what it's worth, I am probably going to buy another avenger or cutlass as well as an aurora package or two to round my hangar back out, since the redeemer will be great for gunship patrols and troop delivery, but not so great for hauling anything larger than a ham sandwich.
This is my thought for you to consider. If you plan on melting your ships down for the Redeemer and not pick up any other ship down the line (pre-release) then go for it. But if you want a fighter, like your avenger, or a cargo runner, like your cutlass, you will find yourself going out for other ships.

Now obviously this is pledge and as CR always says we're not buying ships; but pledging toward the game. With that thinking and the fact that the redeemer is a FPS focused introduction akin to a SWAT door knocker and if that is going to be your primary focus you are set. Not to mention you are supporting the TNGS..

Me... I want a fighter ship to go along with my cargo ship.... and I need an aurora to be my drunk wagon to ram bumpers and play asteroids. If you go redeemer I'll be a marine in your bay though if you need it!

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
All y'all fighter pilots can cover me while I bring the knock-knock squad to the enemy.

Tyler, I believe the real takeaway from this is pledge your support as far as you're comfortable, but pledge in a way that sets you up for what you want to do in-'verse later.

Reactions: Dalarast

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
Ya of course the Connie is a great ship, but you have to really think about operational cost and crew. That's you and.. what 3 more to crew that ship properly? Not the easiest launch plan, not impossible either... I just think the single seaters, or 2 crew ships, will be the best ticket at launch.
Again with the disclaimer that *everything is subject to change!!!* I couldn't help but see this thread in the forums yesterday:
"CR Refers to The Redeemer is the Fighting Constellation" latest Ben Quote

So that's an actually interesting perspective, because during the release of the Constellation variants, a lot of folks were very upset that there was not a military/combat specific Constellation variant. I'm not entirely sure how much of that is speculation, conjecture, or only rumor. There was (and still is) a desire from many backers to know and possess the ultimate ship for each specific role (dogfighting, exploration, racing, being a classy motherfucker, mining, salvaging) so that they can pay the price and "have a leg up" and superiority to those that can't afford the barrier of entry, those that choose to wait to earn the ships in the game, and the latecomers/newcomers to the party.
Meanwhile, CIG maintains that they don't wish there to be a min/max best in that same sense, and they also stress, like Cody said that having the biggest/most expensive/best might not be ideal for solo players if they have to operate sub-optimally with NPCs instead of human player crews. Operational costs, equipment/cargo insurance, and possibilities for ship stat changes/balances are still unknown factors that cause us all to take risks when we purchase ships like the Redeemer.

Personally, I'm sort of torn with regards to the Redeemer. It doesn't scream "must have" to me,
and the price is certainly steep! Though I know it's either buy it with LTI before Monday or wait to get in in the PU game. If there are questions about whether it's worth purchasing with LTI, I would certainly not pay that same price (or even more) in USD for a non-LTI version. It's definitely your money, so buy one (or more if you're Russian) if it really grabs your interest (like UltraGuido).

I do think it's strange that the cargo units do not appear on the Ship Stats page for the Redeemer, but the brochure indicates 32 freight units. It might be the closest we'd get to an offensive/combat Constellation, but that's not really why I personally wanted a Constellation to begin with.

[At the time of posting, I don't think Ben has further elaborated on that issue or specific quote.]

Forgot your password?