Training Session: Missiles

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Monday, 3/24/2015 at around 6PM Pacific Time (-8 GMT), 9PM Eastern.

I will be holding free-flight training sessions in Arena Commander for missile training and practicing dogfighting tactics. Please bring an S2 missile-equipped ship. You may bring Hornets, but I do not recommend it - they can only equip S1 missiles, and there are only two S1 missiles available on Electronic Access. The preferred ships for missile training will be the 325A, the Gladius, and any other ship that can equip S2 missiles at a minimum.

I also recommend bringing one of each missile type - EM, IR, and CS fitted to your ship.

Please click this link to read up on the spreadsheet that will serve as your missile training study material.

The goal of this session is to refine your ability to fire missiles with a higher hit probability. We will study EM, IR, and CS missiles. I haven't actually tested my tactics in player versus player combat, but the principles that I've learned in Vanduul Swarm should still apply here.

If you are interested and plan on participating, please post in this thread with your comments and your in-game-name so I can add you to my friends list - this will facilitate lobby invitations.

If we get more than 4-8 people interested, I'll probably livestream the session, though I won't be able to use voice chat since I'm Deaf.

Also, if you have any questions about the missile system, please post them in here, too.

Important note: I might come home later than expected, my hearing aid's tube broke, so I have to go into Seattle on Monday to get it replaced. I also plan on getting a haircut as well.

Last edited:

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
Awesome, hopefully I can make it.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
FYI, due to ongoing multiplayer issues, this training session may be delayed to another date.

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
hm want to know when the next date will be, my current strategy is to lock every single one of them and fire in a attempt to hit.
"That's a bold strategy Cotton"

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
hm want to know when the next date will be, my current strategy is to lock every single one of them and fire in a attempt to hit.
Pretty wasteful. You see that spreadsheet link in the OP? Read it. You'll find the Missiles stats in the "N" column, and it includes the Maximum Tracking Angle stats, which should help you understand just how well it can track maneuvering opponents. The greater the angle, the more reliable it is.

The less tracking angle it is, the more stricter you'll need to be with your launching criteria. Experiment with different launching positions, guys! :D

Also the next date will probably be this Friday if we're lucky. If multiplayer comes online and is functional before then, make use of the week to raise REC to pick up different missile types so you can learn how each of them behaves. :)

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
buuuut....
i thought we could only run our ships into theirs.
We can get missles?
YAY
(now I just need to get a ship with some, my silly 315p doesn't have any)

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Would love to get on some newbie training. Since the back to back free fly weeks things feel weird. I did upgrade my MR to an LN and its a little better. I don't really want to buy weapons so I should probably REC a few weapons for my Aurora before I commit. I'd love to get a hold of an Avenger or better but the LN will do for now.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
UPDATE on Multiplayer: Looks like they are bringing it back online soon today, so we'll hold our missile training session on Wednesday afternoon at 6PM Pacific, if everything is working fine by then.

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
How do you switch between missile types while fighting? I always just have to use mine in default order because I never figured out how to change it up on the fly.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
How do you switch between missile types while fighting? I always just have to use mine in default order because I never figured out how to change it up on the fly.
That's the frustrating part. There is no easy mechanism available at this time.

Forgot your password?