Trying to quit smoking again. Won't be on for a couple of days.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ive been smoke free my entire life, but Im thinking of starting. Any suggestions?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Situation Update: Day 19

Still nicotine free, cravings are less frequent but more intense.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

You are pretty much in the clear. The first two weeks are behind you, its easy sailing from here on out.

The smell of smoke will bother you.

You no longer like it.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
You are pretty much in the clear. The first two weeks are behind you, its easy sailing from here on out.

The smell of smoke will bother you.

You no longer like it.
This would be Most Valuable Post and so much better if you had used your spinny HypnoGif Sig ;)

Sanbo

Admiral
Donor
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Sanbo
Good luck to ya. I still get a craving every now and again right when somebody lights up. I still drive with a bic pen that I cut to be about the same size as a cig. I just hold it in my hand and that helps me out too.

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
I started smoking at 13 in 1985.

The wife and I quit together in 2001, and other than one cigarette each during a drunken bonfire a few years ago, we have been smoke free.

We used the step down patch to help, it has some side effects like muscle soreness at the patch site, and vivid dreams, so it may or may not help. Stay strong, you can do this.

PS: don't uses sugar free candies to help get through a craving. They often contain sorbitol or glycerin, which have a strong laxative effect.
Unless you are diabetic, the regular hard candies may help.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast

I'm in the same boat here. I have quit cold turkey in the past for years; but when I'm deployed smokes replace all other vices it seems. I have been smoke free now for two months; but have replaced it with a e-cig. I'm slowly trying to get myself off of this as well.

Keep up the faith... and as new smells and taste come to you it allows you to enjoy other things: FOOD, beer, wine. Go taste something that you haven't had since you smoked... it will taste a million times better. You will also notice that you will find yourself at the mercy of air fresheners and think all smokers have an odor of trash with them. If you have a feeling of wanting to smoke a cigarette just smell an ash tray or a smoker ;)

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
I'm actually in the process of quitting my own way as well. I failed a couple of times with cold turkey, used to be a pack a day smoker since I was 17, but now I've been using my e-cig, and have been stepping down my nicotine intake periodically.

It helps that it is economically sound to not smoke for me. I live in Chicago, it's up to 11 bucks a pack now. By contrast, the equivalent 'pack' of cartridges is the same price, about 11 dollars online, but lasts about 5 times longer for me.

I'm currently on the lowest tier of nicotine, so I think when I phase them entirely out, I'll add that money as a separate column on my entertainment fund. I could have my official 'nicotine-free' ship in not too significant an amount of time.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I've been using all of my smoke money on games and hardware. My Steam library is getting really interesting and I will have a mocap studio ready within the week for my game dev needs.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I never smoked growing up, but admittedly, I like vaping now and again. Blueberry and margarita are my favorite flavors. ;)

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Gotta try that Gummy Bear or Mango Rum.... nothing says MAN like smoking some gummy bear.....

So we got at least three people quitting on this thread alone. Good things here people!

Remember...
'

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
Mmmmm. Gummy Bear....

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
I have vaped now some time passion fruit/mentho mix, sweet fruity and fresh. I mix my own juices so i dont know how it works if just blend those premade juices.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
My father quit smoking for prostate surgery. The doctors were horrified at his cough. 2 days after he quit smoking, he stopped coughing. It didn't decrease, it simply stopped. He felt better.

And then he started smoking again. Feels terrible. Is getting depressed.

Don't fall back into it. You'll feel much better about yourself. In addition, most of the risk factors regarding smoking disapear after two years of not smoking; discounting the permanent damage it can cause to teeth/lung tissue over long periods of use.

Forgot your password?