Turrets

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This is a good reason to post the spviewer link. Note that this fit out calculator gives the actual size of various turrets. So the manned turrets in the Hammerhead are the same S5 turret size found on the Vanguard.

Theoretically, right now you could place the 4S4 manned turret from a Hammerhead onto your Vanguard. I’ll believe it when I see it, but I would buy an HH just to salvage the turrets off it for a wing of Sentinel based stealth bombers.

So, one thing people don’t get when they view stats in Erkul is, that erkul does not give you the ability to stick Void Armor on a ship. It will do the calculation for stealth armor if it comes stock, like on the Eclipse or Sabre, but it will not tell you what the signature would be if you put Void Armor on it because we cannot yet select armor.

So just saying, you should eventually be able to select Void Armor for the Sentinel and reduce its signatures to about 8k. Now add the Harby module, an HH turret, and two stage trigger your pilot guns to Attrition 5 chin and CVSA nose. 4 Rhinos on the turret. 16 Rattlers for knife fights. 1 Sukoran to stop ballistics, one FR-76 for high refresh. 1 Eclipse for running stealth. 1 Genoa for running hot. 2 Snowpacks to regain stealth most quickly. 1 Hemera to stretch your already impressive range.

(Rattlers get a bad rep. S2 missiles are all 1-10km range except the Rattler; which is 0.5-5km, but with about 30% greater damage and they are fast. They’re a good choice if you intend to use them inside 5km. S5 Stalker Vs have a 3-30km range and will kill anything S3 like the Vanguard, Cutty, Lancer, C1, Zeus from as far away as you can spot it, unless it has a turret to shoot down the torp. Stalkers do 17k damage and you have 3. 4 Rattlers do 16k damage and you have 4 salvos. For comparison, all S3 missiles like on the Firebird do less damage than Rattlers, but they have a 25km range.)

That’s a death machine, though a bit glass cannon. I like it. The REO would be super busy choosing between great guns, missile salvos varying between 2, 3 and 4 Rattlers depending upon target, and S5 torps.

The Sentinel does need 6k of its hull back. Just three hits from a Hornet will kill it and that is too easy for a medium fighter, unless it’s dodging missiles.

Two smart guys in a ship like this can win lots of different kinds of fights. Engaging you have firstblood against most opponents and with only 1 primary your capacitor will last. Passing you have quad ballistic cannons tearing holes. Splashing up 2, 3 or 4 missiles can change the game at any time. Disengaging your turret gunner is still pouring on heat. You can disappear from S1 radar in just a few seconds and circle, and choose when and where to reengage, and force an opponent off plan with missiles. In Mechwarrior this is called “fighting from the whole field.” Not as flashy as Alpha striking always from the same position but more difficult to predict, and more effective in the long run.

I can’t help it. After all the nerfs I’m still in love with this bird.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?