Unreal 5 Engine.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The PS5 is basically a good mid-range PC with a gpu that is roughly equivalent to a rtx2070.

Im pretty sure what they showed was indeed running on a PS5

Reactions: August and Scape

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The PS5 is basically a good mid-range PC with a gpu that is roughly equivalent to a rtx2070.

Im pretty sure what they showed was indeed running on a PS5
Yeah and I think the CPU on the PS5 (and the X Box X) is basically an AMD 3700/3700x

AMD really hit the jackpot by securing the contract to make CPUs for not one but both of the console giants.

I'm a PC diehard but I gotta say the upcoming consoles are both pretty impressive.

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm a PC diehard but I gotta say the upcoming consoles are both pretty impressive.
They sure are, because now with SSD's they finally can compete more closely with PC graphics. I guess Moores law is kicking in, the flattening of the curve. It used to be that next gen GPUs would blow away the previous gen, as we start heading towards the 3080ti and the 4080 after that, are we still seeing massive leaps in graphics like the old days?

Reactions: Scape

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
They sure are, because now with SSD's they finally can compete more closely with PC graphics. I guess Moores law is kicking in, the flattening of the curve. It used to be that next gen GPUs would blow away the previous gen, as we start heading towards the 3080ti and the 4080 after that, are we still seeing massive leaps in graphics like the old days?
I think the curve on Moore's law is definitely slowing. I guess until they figure out quantum computing. I remember reading awhile back that electrical engineers and computer scientists have figure out quantum computing. Haven't really heard much since.

Graphics like that both awe and scare me. Awe in seeing how far we've come. Scare in that we're not that far away from breaking past the 'uncanny valley'. I certainly think my industry will eventually be made obsolete because of that.

Reactions: Scape

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
We will probably find out today. I think NVIDIA has an announcement for 9 am EDT IIRC.

Reactions: Aramsolari

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
some impresive stuff, some not so impressive. The water looked like shit. No wonder they only showed it for 2 seconds.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
well the 30xx series is supposed to release by the end of the year. The 3080ti is supposed to be a bigger leap then the 2080ti was over the 1080ti. At a certain point though the leaps will get smaller, tech can only get so small. Until quantum computing becomes a commercial thing I think the next to gens after the 30xx will be smaller.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
UnReal was impressive 5 years ago, not quite this impressive, but very impressive. When I first looked into Star Citizen I realized, immediately, that the CryEngine was the wrong engine for the game and Unity or Unreal was a much better choice.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I'll have to listen to the deep dives (thanks @Jolly_Green_Giant !) to see if there is anything noteworthy. The demo was, well, nice but nothing super nice. It's a demo, it better look too good to be true, otherwise what's the point. The GI was fake (see how when he moves the light back at the beginning, the blue scattered light doesn't change with it) only a few real time light sources, very very limited view range all the time, and a nice skybox in the distance. That flock of birds and such were impressive like 20 years ago when particle driven pre-baked animated low poly models were impressive still...

Star Citizen in most situations does Not look supergreat. It looks mediocre in many regards. The lighting is last 10years, the shadows are meh, the "bump" maps are muddy, and the PBR materials don't live up to the hype, because of the shitty lighting.... The skin material looks horrificly last gen, even though if you pay attention you can see all the next gen tech, like basic real time SSS working (have a light behind you and check your ears, see how it properly transfers through , like irl). It needs a lot of work and polish to get up to today's standards, and thats no easy task.
Case in point: my wife walked in while I was playing, asked if it was that "spaceship collector" game.
I was standing on the bridge of my transport ship. In MechWarrior 5!! Which is arguably a game with mediocre graphics, but they do use the same PBR materials, have a very similar looking sci-fi setting inside the ship, and so it looks the same to a casual observer.

What does take my breath away every time is the depth/scale. Looking out over a large city, up at the asteroids from Levski, spotting the moon's from Port O.. Those are the moments that make it visually awesome.
Knowing that whatever you see in the distance is Real. It's there. You Can go there, and it will be just as detailed as the spot your at now. This makes for some truly awesome views.

The on-set VFX background trick is amazing tech, that is great!
Quixel software suit, what a piece of junk... I used it, or rather tried to use it. Absolutely useless in a production environment. Looks very impressive, but doesn't integrate into any real life VFX workflow, at all... yes it can do neat stuff, but my god, it's way too much pain and thus time.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
New headline: "SC delayed 5 more years as CR orders switch to Unreal engine...."
Joke, of course....
I was just telling someone the other day the exact same thing, the longer the game drags out the more chances there are of having to switch or adjust to new standards.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?