Upgraded my old build with a RTX 2070

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
i5 6500, two 500gb 850evo SSDs, 16gb RAM, and the 2070, all wrapped up in a fractal design define R5 case, which really helps with the sound caused by the 2 3000rpm noctua front fans and the 2000rpm noctua rear fan.

Removed was an XFX Fury X graphics card, which I'll be posting up on the marketplace here soon (or PM for details if you read this before I post it on the marketplace area). It handled Star Citizen quite nicely, and stayed very cool (very rarely going over 55c), but switching to the 2070 was a nice upgrade from it. R.I.P. car restoration fund though.

As for the 2070, I'd been reading that it had heat issues (by my standards) and would frequently go over 75c. So far, probably partly due to my fan layout and not having fully stressed it out yet, I've yet to see it go much over 65c.

6SG3W6l8J5YgyYGDuQGjgY.jpg
Speccy64_oZ5LOLp7eF.png

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
When the page loaded, at first glance I read it as removing a XFX Furry X Graphics Card.
If I didn't keep it regularly dusted, that's probably what it would have become 😅

But can you get 60fps in Star Citizen? 😀

Congrats! Enjoy the new rig!
Close, very close. a range from 40fps to 65 fps from my limited testing. Fury X got between 25 (high speed combat) and 70 (traveling in open space). Both are equally playable though, since I'm not the most combat oriented of pilots.
Edit: most likely bottlenecked at the CPU, and I would assume a few more gigs of RAM would help, but primarily the CPU is most likely what keeps me from true 60 frames

gz on upgrade, and good luck convincing anyone that you are not a pirate. 😁
Totally not a pirate. Just a salvager of things not quite ready to be salvaged yet. 😇

I will toast your upgrade with ale! 🍺🍺🍺
At least let it be pear or apple ale.

Yay for upgrades!
Yay indeed!

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If heat starts becoming a concern I recommend installing EVGA's Precision software, my 1070 would overheat over every little thing until I used Precision to use a more aggressive fan speed curve.

Forgot your password?