Urgent need for Old (but still good) parts

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Hey TEST,

So, I'm the coach of a high school robotics team with almost no budget, and we need a nice desktop to do CAD work on. We have a couple of GTX 480 graphics cards which should work just fine, but we have no computer to put them in.

If anyone is upgrading their system and wouldn't mind a small tax write-off (we have non-profit status through the school, so that's a plus), Please, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
Ah, CAD work. I was part of my own school's robotics team and I was the one who did the CAD work to figure out our minimum bottom out for the wheels and then after that I worked on the pneumatic systems. Check in with some people in Discord channels, might get lucky. Montoya might have some stuff laying around me thinks.

Tortilla the Hun

Grand Admiral
Jul 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Tortilla_the_Hun
I have an old power supply 600W that's just collecting dust (figuratively, it's in a box) that I don't need.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
How many 480s do you have? They're going for >$200

I picked up a refurbished workstation with an i-5 2400 for <$300 on newegg so if you can part with one, you'd be well on your way.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Not necessarily - I've had SolidWorks act squirrely when I run it on a non-Quadro GPU. What CAD software will you be using?
Solidworks, lol

I have an old power supply 600W that's just collecting dust (figuratively, it's in a box) that I don't need.
Oooo, that would work nicely. Let me know if you'd like to part with it.

How many 480s do you have? They're going for >$200

I picked up a refurbished workstation with an i-5 2400 for <$300 on newegg so if you can part with one, you'd be well on your way.
We have two, but they're both going into machines: one for CAD work, the other for reference work (so the members of the team can quickly come and view files, etc, without kicking the CAD people off, though that one doesn't necessarily need to be more powerful.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I have an old Lian-Li Full tower (case only), majority of (case) parts still in tact. It's big though and I'm UK, willing to ship but no idea of the costs for something like that.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I have an old Lian-Li Full tower (case only), majority of (case) parts still in tact. It's big though and I'm UK, willing to ship but no idea of the costs for something like that.
That would be wonderful, but yeah, we might as well just buy a case, ourselves. I would imagine just standard freight shipping would be at least $100/£70

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
That would be wonderful, but yeah, we might as well just buy a case, ourselves. I would imagine just standard freight shipping would be at least $100/£70
Are you around New England at all? I thought you said you had a case, but I've got a couple of gutted cases if you could use them.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
YES PLEASE!!!!

The noise level doesn't matter too much, considering there are about 34 high school students working on this thing, lol.
I've got a not-quite-as-loud Quadro 3700 kicking around as well if that might be of use. I may be able to donate a brand-new Z97 mobo, too.

I'd send spare machine tools, but shipping would be more than they're worth...

Forgot your password?