US Announces bill to ban loot boxes and p2w mechanics?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
To my knowledge EA invented the worst kind of loot boxes. Search for Wilson Loot Box
They implemented an extreme version of a model that existed for at least two years prior.

Honestly, I think the best solution is to take companies like EA to court with class action lawsuits in States with anti-gambling laws. It'll cost them a bunch of money without directly impacting smaller companies while establishing 'acceptable practices'.

Reactions: Michael

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
The best bumper sticker I ever saw said... "Think before you act, it's not illegal yet."

I'm glad somebody has taken notice, I think they need to go farther. If a company like Steam, Epic, EA whoever doesn't have proper parental controls that notifies us and asks us to approve a transaction made on a child's account, then they should be 100% liable for all expenses. I don't care if it's cosmetic, P2W, or a loot-box.

My nephew over the past 4 years has probably spent over $4000.00 on my CC without my permission. Now, I've probably recovered 1/2 to 2/3 of that money, but Steam and Epic both told me to pound sand. Apple gave me a full refund and walked me through the parental controls, which at the time were not as simple as they are now. Steam claims to have parental controls but they're a joke. My Nephew did get a job last summer and paid me back the remainder of what I couldn't recover from my Credit Cards.

As for game that are P2W or any micro-transactions in general... My nephew and my own children are permanently banned from micro-transactions. With respect to my Nephew, he's not allowed to play any of the Call of Duty games or Fortnite while he lives under my roof.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Another one of those serious problems that we desperately need uncle sam to get involved in. We can sleep sound now. The government is going to take care of this urgent issue in a timely and efficient manner. Crisis averted.

• o7
Reactions: Deroth

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Never mind Congress, the Senate is worse!

Vote out these old dinosaurs people!

Lets get the younger generation in there sooner than later!
My favorite trait of the young people I meet is how they've never met a scheme to fix society through compulsory regimentation imposed from the top down that they didn't like. Just imagine what sort of utopia we could achieve if we gave them power while they're still convinced that they know everything.

• Glorious
Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
I bet this scourge on society is remedied even faster than the war on poverty. Maybe even as fast as the war on drugs. Shit, we could be talking war on terror levels of rapid completion. And if the financial responsibility of those stunning successes can be replicated, it'll practically pay for itself. Getting the government involved in this was a really good idea.

• Glorious
Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth
Forgot your password?