Using Joystick with Gimbal Weapons

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I just wanted to see what other's experience is with this setup. I've done a fair bit of testing and my hit rate is quite significantly higher with gimbals. It seems to me that with gimbals, even if you hit outside of the circle slightly it still registers as a hit (where as fixed weapons does not). When I was testing between gimbal and fix, it wasn't a small difference. On average, it was approximately 2x faster to destroy a target with gimbal than fix (because I was hitting the target more often with gimble). I did this test by doing 2 pirate runs for each gimble and fix (up to wave 5). I only use fast weapons (repeaters).

If this is true then is it by design? Or something they will patch in the future (bug)?

Edit: I'm using Gimbal assisted mode.
Edit: ok I didn't do my research, it appears that this is by design :p
I'm a terrible shooter, this is definitely something that I like, hope they don't change it.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Just a bit of advice: in the current state of the game while using gimbal assist you neet to trak (aka have it inside the GA circle) not the target ship itself but his pip, since is that the spot your weapon are try to aiming for.

And yes Ga make agreat improvement for thoose taht use a hotas or dual joistick set up for combat situaation, and also I feel it is a good training solution for people tah whant to move on full fixed loadout whitout punish them for not being extreamly precise: use it for training to track the pip and then move to fixel weapons.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I just wanted to see what other's experience is with this setup. I've done a fair bit of testing and my hit rate is quite significantly higher with gimbals. It seems to me that with gimbals, even if you hit outside of the circle slightly it still registers as a hit (where as fixed weapons does not). When I was testing between gimbal and fix, it wasn't a small difference. On average, it was approximately 2x faster to destroy a target with gimbal than fix (because I was hitting the target more often with gimble). I did this test by doing 2 pirate runs for each gimble and fix (up to wave 5). I only use fast weapons (repeaters).

If this is true then is it by design? Or something they will patch in the future (bug)?

Edit: I'm using Gimbal assisted mode.
Edit: ok I didn't do my research, it appears that this is by design :p
I'm a terrible shooter, this is definitely something that I like, hope they don't change it.
Before the release of 3.7 one of the videos stated that gimbal assist was not working as intended and would be changed in 3.8.

Expect a nerf.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Just a bit of advice: in the current state of the game while using gimbal assist you neet to trak (aka have it inside the GA circle) not the target ship itself but his pip, since is that the spot your weapon are try to aiming for.

And yes Ga make agreat improvement for thoose taht use a hotas or dual joistick set up for combat situaation, and also I feel it is a good training solution for people tah whant to move on full fixed loadout whitout punish them for not being extreamly precise: use it for training to track the pip and then move to fixel weapons.
Thanks for the advice! I don't think I want to move to fixed though :p

Just to maybe make you feel better, I have it on good authority that you're probably not the worst shooter in TEST. Not by a long shot - no pun intended.
This made my day :)

Before the release of 3.7 one of the videos stated that gimbal assist was not working as intended and would be changed in 3.8.

Expect a nerf.
Nooooo. Admittedly, it does make the fights too fast, but it's so fun like this.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

Expect a nerf.
I find that now it work well, still not perfect but it works.
Only have some problem with against the Buccaneer, but that is cause the HIT box is still a little bugged... in any other case no problem

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Only have some problem with against the Buccaneer, but that is cause the HIT box is still a little bugged... in any other case no problem
So maybe I should keep the buccaneer a little while longer, to see what comes out of the wash?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
One of the big problems is it works a little too well. :)

Forgot your password?