Vanguard Owners

Capy_sc

Commander
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Capy_sc
Personally I'm in love with the ship and having just upgraded to the Sentinel from the sale I'm more than happy with this tanky beast.

Just have a few questions;

I know nothing is confirmed, but what's the over/under that a Ranger bike could fit and not blow up do you think?. Do we think CIG would be willing to let a small vehicle inside the Vanguard and be stable, or is that going to be outside the intention.

Also, I would assume this is going to happen but have never actually seen it written anywhere. Will thee be a type of kiosk to turn in my random cargo packages we find at wrecks?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. Still new around the ORG.

o7

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Funny you mention that. I was playing with my Harbinger tonight trying to see what it would take to dial it in. I noticed hitting small ships were a pain in the behind (I'm old and slow), and like typical CD, I unloaded a crap load of missiles on them fast i300 types... they dropped like flies. Bigger ships like the constellation were easy pick'ns... just stay behind them and let the huge cannon destroy them. That said, I was poking around Area 18 and I noticed some grade A shield components along with some upgraded turret weaponry. You may want to check around as different vendors sell different stuff. Just take some missions and play with the load out, that is what I can recommend.

I was looking at the "Grade" and the size... as well as what it would do.

Edit - Also, nothing that I am aware of regarding space vehicles. If it fits then you can make it work. The Vanguard is my favorite ship.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Regarding the bike:
I hope that they will let us do it that way, but i wouldn't place my bet on it. There is no vehicle grid, so unless someone decides to improve the Vanguards with that, it shouldn't work natively.

Overall the vanguards are pretty good ships alreads
my favorite 3.7 sentinel upgrade was
UpgradePricelocation
crossfield QD28702PO20% faster QT
FR7638250POHighest shield value (2x)

additionally i liked the gvsr lasers too if you want to add some more damage to the hull

Capy_sc

Commander
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Capy_sc
Regarding the bike:
I hope that they will let us do it that way, but i wouldn't place my bet on it. There is no vehicle grid, so unless someone decides to improve the Vanguards with that, it shouldn't work natively.

Overall the vanguards are pretty good ships alreads
my favorite 3.7 sentinel upgrade was
UpgradePricelocation
crossfield QD28702PO20% faster QT
FR7638250POHighest shield value (2x)

additionally i liked the gvsr lasers too if you want to add some more damage to the hull
Ya the no vehicle grid is a worry. My hope is something like the ranger could have a type of kickstand that acts just like a single box would. Something along those lines.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best load out, so cheers with the info I absolutely love the ship

Capy_sc

Commander
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Capy_sc
Funny you mention that. I was playing with my Harbinger tonight trying to see what it would take to dial it in. I noticed hitting small ships were a pain in the behind (I'm old and slow), and like typical CD, I unloaded a crap load of missiles on them fast i300 types... they dropped like flies. Bigger ships like the constellation were easy pick'ns... just stay behind them and let the huge cannon destroy them. That said, I was poking around Area 18 and I noticed some grade A shield components along with some upgraded turret weaponry. You may want to check around as different vendors sell different stuff. Just take some missions and play with the load out, that is what I can recommend.

I was looking at the "Grade" and the size... as well as what it would do.

Edit - Also, nothing that I am aware of regarding space vehicles. If it fits then you can make it work. The Vanguard is my favorite ship.
Agreed! I hear going with a more ballistic loadout can mow down the ships quicker. And as far as the smaller light fighters, going backwards and over clocking the weapons and putting your shields to the front helps.

Flying and decoupling and flipping has helped a lot. Trying to chase them seems to play into their hands more imo.

I dunno fully though, I still have a lot of fights to get into with smaller ships to know my personal.meta gameplay lol.

I need to visit some price checking at the ship vendors. See how much I need to earn.

I hear things you buy are not persisting after the ship blows up though currently. Maybe I heard that wrong though.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I hear things you buy are not persisting after the ship blows up though currently. Maybe I heard that wrong though.
You are absolutely correct. In every version everything gets wiped and you start over. I hear they may be working on allowing us to keep our cash... but the is not guaranteed. So, I would advise you play around, test stuff and find what works for you. Being in this game since 2013, I can tell you its getting there. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but I think they finally got a handle on it after 7 years. Things like persistence is coming along. In short, play around and in a couple months you will start over with 3.8... going back to the same vendors and buying the same things you have learned to like, each time learning something new. One day in future, hopefully soon, every thing you built/obtain will be there waiting for you after each minor and major patch. Sit back and enjoy my friend.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Well Ballistics depends on what you're trying todo
I prefer Energy weapons for missions so i don't run dry midfight.
PVP you will likely want to go ballistics. (Solo gameplay)

Also Distortion damage isn't fully working, though i can definitly see the Sentinel with the stock gun layout in its role as a supporter.
Pair a Warden and Harbinger with a Sentinel and you should bring in a very heavy punch. (Group gameplay)

I actually havent tried Scatter guns. On paper they should do a great job against big targets.

Knusum

Captain
Dec 1, 2019
RSI Handle
Knusum123
I prefer ballistics all the way when doing 8k and 10k bounty missions, or when hunting players.
With ballistics you can take down the Cats when they are the target, something i have been unable to do with energy weapons in the Vanguards.
I think that being able to kill the cats when they pop up as bounties more than makes up for having to return to rearm once in a while.

If i come up against a Hammerhead i fly away and reroll the mission.

I usually go with gimballed C-788 Combine or a Revenant and 4 x BRVS.

Capy_sc

Commander
Nov 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Capy_sc
I prefer ballistics all the way when doing 8k and 10k bounty missions, or when hunting players.
With ballistics you can take down the Cats when they are the target, something i have been unable to do with energy weapons in the Vanguards.
I think that being able to kill the cats when they pop up as bounties more than makes up for having to return to rearm once in a while.

Very cool and noted, thank you.

As a heavy fighter, I'm curious if we are ever "suppose" to be able to solo a Hammerhead or is that a ship that will counter most fighters and be left to some heavy torpedo action.

Maybe if the Sentinel can drop the shields or a single shield to open up a target point on the Hammerhead?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Very cool and noted, thank you.

As a heavy fighter, I'm curious if we are ever "suppose" to be able to solo a Hammerhead or is that a ship that will counter most fighters and be left to some heavy torpedo action.

Maybe if the Sentinel can drop the shields or a single shield to open up a target point on the Hammerhead?
Hammerhead is marketed as an anti-fighter/light bomber ship, while I imagine ships like the Eclipse and Retaliator are going to be hard counters to it right now the Hammerhead is not very effective. Mostly this is due to the Turrets being still mostly broken, shields being weak and no armor. But hopefully in the years to come the Hammerhead will come into its own as an anti-fighter large ship. And while it's not going to be very effective at chasing down and destroying smaller ships it will still do a great job of preventing them from getting into its sphere of influence and thus being an effective tool to protect other large ships from smaller ships. It's one of a small group of ships that are crafted to project attack power downwards at ships smaller than itself (Constellation Andromeda is another).

Knusum

Captain
Dec 1, 2019
RSI Handle
Knusum123
[/QUOTE]
I have the Harbinger and a pair of BUKs sitting in my buy back. I'm still undecided.
I really really like the Vanguard line, but that being said, i still feel they are a bit undergunned for being a heavy fighter. They are tough as nails though, so i guess thats the balance.

Rytack

Vice Admiral
Sep 17, 2019
RSI Handle
Rytack
I managed so solo a NPC HH this week in a Warden. Running OCed GVSRs and a M7A. Just have to get close to the bottom turret and kill the gunner by firing from inside the shields. After that just stay in that created gap in the turret cover and hammer in damage past the shield until it pops. Not easy by any means, but doable.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting

Or...... you could just use a constellation and kill all the bounties (including hammerheads) and never have to re arm.

And know that it will be able to carry a bike, an Ursa, some cargo, mission boxes, etc.

I run with what it spawns with default and just kill shit.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Or...... you could just use a constellation and kill all the bounties (including hammerheads) and never have to re arm.

And know that it will be able to carry a bike, an Ursa, some cargo, mission boxes, etc.

I run with what it spawns with default and just kill shit.
If the constellation just wasn't so freaking ugly inside. Ugh. Haha.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Oh god, its disgusting.

BUT, gets the job done. when the inevitable 4th rework happens it will be fine.
It really is. It's the layout that kills me. Everything for the entire crew in one room connected to the bridge. Wtf?

I hope (but doubt) that they change her layout.
Unless you have a Vangaurd shooting its size 6 cannon up your behind.
Lol, anything shooting a size anything up my behind would probably prevent me from getting any job done.

Forgot your password?