Vanguard Owners

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Personally I'm in love with the ship and having just upgraded to the Sentinel from the sale I'm more than happy with this tanky beast.

Just have a few questions;

I know nothing is confirmed, but what's the over/under that a Ranger bike could fit and not blow up do you think?. Do we think CIG would be willing to let a small vehicle inside the Vanguard and be stable, or is that going to be outside the intention.

Also, I would assume this is going to happen but have never actually seen it written anywhere. Will thee be a type of kiosk to turn in my random cargo packages we find at wrecks?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. Still new around the ORG.

o7
It is not the intention of the ship to be able to carry a vehicle or any cargo.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I have been running a CF557 under the nose and the GVSR on my Warden's nose. I generally lead with a missile or two and small fighters are dead before the end of the first pass.

They have to close or run, they can't stay at range. In both cases that forces them to fight you based on your strengths and not to theirs.

We just need some more choices in size 5 weapons.

Vanguard557.jpg

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have been running a CF557 under the nose and the GVSR on my Warden's nose. I generally lead with a missile or two and small fighters are dead before the end of the first pass.

They have to close or run, they can't stay at range. In both cases that forces them to fight you based on your strengths and not to theirs.

We just need some more choices in size 5 weapons.

View attachment 14574
I'll have to get into game and try stuff and things. I haven't played since long before we could change out the wardens 4x nose guns.

Reactions: Capy_sc and ColdDog

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Personally I'm in love with the ship and having just upgraded to the Sentinel from the sale I'm more than happy with this tanky beast.
I have yet to find a real analysis of the systems in game that look at how to optimize the Sentinel (my favorite ship too), but I will tell you what it appears is the case from my time on Hardpoint, and you can investigate further. I've been hoping peeps will do this since the Sentinel came out.

First off, the Sentinel was designed as a stealth bird. It has the radar absorbing armor (with less armor value than the others) and you want to use that stealth advantage. So really when you're flying in stealth mode, I think you want a small, low signature primary reactor, and you want to outfit for low power. That means you want ballistics. In stealth you want to fly with the shields and the secondary reactor off, and use your engines and maneuvering thrusters sparingly. You're positioning tactically, but not for a dogfight. You want to be able to send missiles from nowhere, and disappear the moment after you launch. Plan to drift into battle silently, launch and drift away uncoupled.

Secondly, you have to practice trigger control and go ballistic, and in the event a dogfighter finds you, you want that big chin mount gimbaled so you can hit. The Revenant seems the way to go. Forget the cannon--it is too slow to target and can't hit dogfighters which means you have no defense. I would likewise suggest 6 Scorpions, so that when you need the guns you have plenty of push and almost no energy drain. The Scorpions are almost 20% faster to target than the BVRS so you will hit more often. They have much larger magazine that fires for far longer than the BVRS. They do more damage and have only slightly less range. Because they are significantly faster to target they will form a tighter fire group to the Revenant, and that gimbal will lead the fixed ballistics to their target. Put your nose where the gimbal points and your fixed mounts will find their target. Use the gimbal to guide the fixed mounts.

This is all theory, but it is sound given the stats on Hardpoint are still correct.

Things needing real validation include things like the ability of a single, low output S2 reactor like the Daybreak, to power the whole ship in stealth mode, and whether that sole reactor is enough given ballistics and no shields up. It's a big question and it seems no one wants to do a real empiricle study until CIG casts stats in cement, but I think you can check and see if using a single small reactor really gives you enhanced stealth, and that should be a goal, IMHO.

BTW, shields are a more personal choice--do you want to be able to take a huge beating all at once (like flying against the Vanduul with plasma weapons) or do you want to be able to circle and recharge your shields ASAP? You can choose to do both. You can have a heavier shield up front where your first encounter will be and a fast recharging shield where your hits will come when you retreat and circle, so don't assume you need two identical shields.

If you really want to try an HH, I think you need the EMP, which means you need stealth and heavy shields up front. They won't have time to recharge if the HH guns target you. Make a pass and I recommend prayer. Take a lesson from our own Marcsand2--know what is shooting at you. If an HH has ballistics loaded, I suggest leave it alone.

Last edited:

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
Concerning the bike, it will definitely fit. I managed to put a Nox inside and it's about the same size. Couldn't take it out though, as turning on the hover system got it stuck, but the Ranger won't have that problem. Can't say anything about its stability inside without a cargo grid though. However, considering CIG is leaning towards more...permissive physics, it might be possible.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Concerning the bike, it will definitely fit. I managed to put a Nox inside and it's about the same size. Couldn't take it out though, as turning on the hover system got it stuck. . .
I'm still hoping the X1 Force will fit. Since it has much less height than the Nox fore and aft, it might not get stuck. It's a weird shape and hard to see, but it looks to me the X1 will fit with the tail or nose on the ramp and the door open. In fact, it looks like two of them may fit side to side.

Since there's no X1 in game yet, have to wait to see, but if you're planning terrestrial incursions with the Vanguard, don't rule out gav bikes.

Wings make the Vanguard rule over all competitors in atmo. Vanguards rule!

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
I'm still hoping the X1 Force will fit. Since it has much less height than the Nox fore and aft, it might not get stuck.
The shape was not the problem. The hover system basically glued it to the ceiling. Or maybe my head was too big and punched a hole...hehe. Right now the hover system tends to act up a bit. If they refine its physics, it may be possible to take it in and out with ease.

Also, I did that in a Warden. It would probably work in a Harbinger too, but that panel inside the Sentinel might pose some issues.

Forgot your password?