Video card upgrade suggestions

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
wait for AMD Vega to drop. if they are competitive like they are supposed to be you will have better choice and it should make nvidia adjust their prices.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
2 things:
1. If you can wait, wait. The big problem now is the lack of optimization of the net code...that is where the real bottleneck is.

2. The price / performance ratio of the 1060 is the best...but again, if you can wait, wait, there will be better cards next year, and you will be that much further ahead, wallet-wise.

JebediahParker

Grand Admiral
Nov 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Jebediah_Parker
I am currently running the GTX 645 so definitely due for an upgrade. I was looking at upgrading to the 1070 this holiday season in the hopes of them going on sale, but after reading these posts it makes sense to wait until closer to SC launch to do so, the prices should only get better. Thanks all!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I'd think long and hard about that Jebediah me 'ol mukka. 2.6 is gonna bring a lot of fun with the star marine first person shooter facility, when 3.0 drops sometime next year (I am hoping first half of the year) there will be SO much more to do in the game that you'll really be needing a decent card.

Reactions: JebediahParker

JebediahParker

Grand Admiral
Nov 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Jebediah_Parker
Yeah, when I said "closer to launch" I meant when the content rich builds start to come out as opposed to this holiday season. Once we can start actually exploring some career paths I'll be lighting a fire under it :metal:

Reactions: BUTUZ

einbruch

Commander
Oct 15, 2016
RSI Handle
einbruch
was waiting for good sales on the 1070 and 1080's but it never happened. this industry is far too hungry for all the moniez to let anything go cheap. cheapest i found was the base model asus 1070 full-length card with a crap cooler for $344 on newegg.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Frankly, I'm quite disappointed with the cards that came out in this cycle. They're still not the significant leap in performance to price -ratio I was hoping for, well, maybe RX 490? We'll see, AMD usually puts out a better perf-to-price ratio.

Plagueis

Admiral
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
xPlagueisx
I'm waiting to upgrade my computer until full launch of the game. I'll put back some $ now until then and i should be getting a nice top of the line rig for SC launch.

Reactions: DeepDrum

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Given the excellent FPS people are getting in Star Marine I am not worried about FPS and upgrading my rig any more. It's the net code that's screwing us over in the universe not your rig, no point in throwing money on it. Once they start sorting the net code in 3.0 and on wards then FPS should steadily increase. Hopefully!!

Reactions: DeepDrum
Forgot your password?