[Video] Is Citizencon 2020 at risk of being cancelled?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
"Remdesivir works by inhibiting an enzyme known as an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, which many RNA viruses—including coronaviruses—use to replicate themselves."

ugh...

Google knows all

In hospitals, doctors and nurses are sometimes treating COVID-19 patients with the antiviral drug oseltamivir, or Tamiflu, which seems to suppress the virus' reproduction in at least some cases.

The death rate appears to be higher than that of the seasonal flu, but it also varies by location as well as a person's age, underlying health conditions, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%, whereas it was just 0.4% in other provinces in China, according to a study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly.

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
A vaccine IS NOT the same as a Antiviral. Everyone knows (informed people), if you get the flu vaccine there is NO guarantee that it will be the right vaccine for the actual flu virus every year. If I hear the word vaccine again, my head is going to EXPLODE! (vaccine != antiviral)

We want a antiviral to keep people alive NOW!
I used the term Vaccine in regards to this 1 specific strain of virus that has begun a path of unpleasantness that is attempting to spread globally. The issue with the standard Flu shots is that they target a strain that the "experts" suspect might be the version to hit hard that year. In this case, I was meaning it for the 1 strain that has already been verified as hitting hard & spreading faster than a bad fart joke in a middle school boys locker room.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Sometimes perspective comes in odd forms. My aunt just shared a photo with me from 1904 where an ice flow disaster literally wiped her town off the map. Wiped her town. Off the map. It took the town hall, the power plant, the people, everything. Not just one town. But several. Its a reminder that, by comparison, local disasters (which happen in the news all the time) can be way more impactful than a singular coronavirus. And are we concerned about what's going on down the road as we are about what's going on around the globe? Its another way to gain perspective.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Sometimes perspective comes in odd forms. My aunt just shared a photo with me from 1904 where an ice flow disaster literally wiped her town off the map. Wiped her town. Off the map. It took the town hall, the power plant, the people, everything. Not just one town. But several. Its a reminder that, by comparison, local disasters (which happen in the news all the time) can be way more impactful than a singular coronavirus. And are we concerned about what's going on down the road as we are about what's going on around the globe? Its another way to gain perspective.
Kind of like wild fires in California.

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
This is from a UK Registrar on Twitter; he's legit:

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do. First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country. The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask. Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed. My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern: A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panic. Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great.

Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2. Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly. Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

If governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to. Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.

We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

That's not scaremongering. That's from someone in the front line living this.

I hesitate to link to the Daily Mail, even though I've written for it several times as a freelancer and I have friends currently editing there, I'm not its biggest fan. But see here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8095835/Overwhelmed-Italian-hospitals-running-200-cent-capacity.html

My take: Most of the people I've seen posting about this in a relaxed way are young enough (just) not to worry, and healthy enough (or so they believe) to be unconcerned. When you're young enough and healthy enough you feel immortal. That will change.

Sadly, others are in a different boat. My mum is 88, immunosuppressed and being treated for stage four cancer. And my wife, who was hospitalised twice by normal flu and had MS relapses could lose function if she gets that ill again. Maybe she won't be able to write, or walk, next time. Ever. Or it could kill her. I stood there and watched them put the spinal tap in last time. It wasn't pleasant. She could have been paralysed. And she could have died as a result of the (normal) flu. This is worse.

I write about this stuff for a living and spend my days talking to doctors.

I do wonder at what point the mortality rate of this virus in others will bother some people. 5%? 10%? 16%? All these were mentioned to me today depending on the age and co-morbidities of the patient, by people literally dealing with this. Perhaps, if they are ok, nothing will bother them. If you're one of these people, good for you, you may want to reflect on that and be thankful, and mindful of those less fortunate before you play it down.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?