wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I finally managed to program my Gladiator NXT LEDs.
VKBDevCfg tool sucks; I had to do it using trial and error method ; )

• Axis Y (throttle in my case) -- Main RGB LED starts flashing green when axis in use (not centered)
  • Axis Z (strafe left / right in my case) -- Main RGB LED flashing red when axis in use (not centered)
  • Axis X (roll in my case) -- bottom red LED flashing when axis in use (not centered)
  • Button 11 (boost in my case) -- top red LED turns on
  • Button 6 (mapped to "/" in my case, which toggles PTT in SC) -- bottom blue LED starts flashing

When multiple events occur (i.e. both axis Y and Z are in use), an event with higher number is triggered -- i.e. event 7 for axis Z (main LED flashing red), event if axis Y is simultanously used (event 6, main LED flashing green).
Brightness set appropriately -- for example main RGB LED is very bright at 7, therefore I set it to 5 red, and 3 blue (stick idling), while the small red and blue LEDs need to be set to 7.

Config file available below, however please note that it contains mapping for "/" and "Delete" keys for buttons F1 and F3, and it matches by SC joystick HOSAM layout.
Please replace .txt extension with .cfg and backup your config to the file before applying!

VKB_Device_Config.png

Attachments

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Pro tips:
  1. Once the new event is added in VKBDevCfg, immediately store it on your device by clicking "Set"; green checkbox on the right doesn't do anything. You can't create multiple events and store them on the stick in batch.

2. In order to edit any existing event, select its line first (green highlight on above screenshot); once the event is edited, use "Set" to send it to the stick; otherwise your changes would disappear when you select another event for editing.

3. Make sure to backup your current configuration first with "Save"; once the new setup is completed, create another backup.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Info:

VKBDevCfg (v0.92.06)
VKB Device Firmware (v2.07.1 XT)

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So I'm looking at these bad boys, as they are far more affordable than the Virpils. Is there a major difference for game play between the premium and standard? Is the ministick very useful? Rapid fire trigger? These things mean nothing to me, as I am pretty joystick illiterate.

GNX SCG ‘Kosmosima’ Standard Grip:
  • Compact grip design – Perfect for tabletop joysticks
  • Lockable Twist (Z axis) with contactless MaRS sensor
  • 1 Dual Action Trigger
  • 3 Hat switches with center push (4-way)
  • 4 Buttons
  • Programmable red color LED
  • Programmable RGB LED
  • 2 interchangeable palm rests (a total of 3 palm size adjustments)
–OR–
GNX SCG ‘Kosmosima’ Premium Grip:
  • Compact grip design – Perfect for tabletop joysticks
  • Lockable Twist (Z axis) with contactless MaRS sensor
  • 1 Dual Action Trigger
  • 1 Rapid Fire Trigger
  • 3 Hat switches with center push (4-way)
  • 3 buttons
  • 1 analog ministick with center push (8-way)
  • Programmable red color LED
  • 2 interchangeable palm rests (total 3 palm size adjustments)
  • Programmable RGB LED
  • Extra button module for C1 position
  • Extra hat switch module for A1 position
  • Trigger cover

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Ministick might be useful, however it's rather sensitive due to the short range.
You can also replace A1 hat switch with a ministick, and C1 button with a mini hat switch with center push on Premium.

As for the trigger, although I don't use 2nd stage of the two-stage trigger, I think that rapid fire trigger is not a bad idea, no matter how it's used.
(By the way, I'm using my Gladiator with Kosmosima in HOSAM layout -- I have decoupled mode toggle under the trigger ; )

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Ministick might be useful, however it's rather sensitive due to the short range.
You can also replace A1 hat switch with a ministick, and C1 button with a mini hat switch with center push on Premium.

As for the trigger, although I don't use 2nd stage of the two-stage trigger, I think that rapid fire trigger is not a bad idea, no matter how it's used.
(By the way, I'm using my Gladiator with Kosmosima in HOSAM layout -- I have decoupled mode toggle under the trigger ; )
Thanks man! I'm looking at upgrading, although it's not a necessity at this point, just a nicety. But these VKBs seem to be decently priced, and I may be able to talk Mrs Owl into a set for Christmas, lol. Premium for right hand, regular for left.

Doc Flanigan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 27, 2021
RSI Handle
Doc_Flanigan
Wow! This is great info! I've never even thought to use the LED's to actually give me data. Mine have just been in their default state since I got my VKBs. Thanks for the guide and config file!

• o7
Reactions: wmk

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks man! I'm looking at upgrading, although it's not a necessity at this point, just a nicety. But these VKBs seem to be decently priced, and I may be able to talk Mrs Owl into a set for Christmas, lol. Premium for right hand, regular for left.
Some of my experience was that the mini stick is useful, it can serve both as a hat switch or as analog control. but some games see the joystick and the mini stick combined as a game controller and weird shit happens. I try to avoid having to unplug the joystick (it has a fully separate cable so you don't need to crawl behind the pc) and when this happens clicking in the mini stick to act as a regular hat switch helps.

Do they just call the two-stage-trigger rapid fire or is that a different kind of trigger? I find it useful in SC, I set the firing group of my fast firing (energy) weapons to stage one and the larger slow guns to stage two (usually ballistics). This way I can paint the target and not waste as much ammo for the big guns.

• Love
Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Some of my experience was that the mini stick is useful, it can serve both as a hat switch or as analog control. but some games see the joystick and the mini stick combined as a game controller and weird shit happens. I try to avoid having to unplug the joystick (it has a fully separate cable so you don't need to crawl behind the pc) and when this happens clicking in the mini stick to act as a regular hat switch helps.

Do they just call the two-stage-trigger rapid fire or is that a different kind of trigger? I find it useful in SC, I set the firing group of my fast firing (energy) weapons to stage one and the larger slow guns to stage two (usually ballistics). This way I can paint the target and not waste as much ammo for the big guns.
Awesome info. Thank you. Turns out that a nice set of joysticks may be in my near future. Now I've gotta decide whether the VKBs are good enough, or if I wanna spend on the Virpils. Haha. Joysticks are hard.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Back to shopping these. As much as I'd love to get myself a set of Virpil Alphas on a WarBRD base, it comes out to about 1100 bucks Canadian, and that's freaking expensive as hell.

But a set of VKB Gladiators is only 270 USD (premium right, standard left) and that's pretty damn good.

Then I gotta think about mounts. Ugh.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Looks like she'll be the Gladiator NXTs for this Owl. I'm freaking stoked. Already have a design plan to build myself a couple of drop down desk mounts too. Yeehaw!

Reactions: wmk
Forgot your password?