Web Cam Head Tracking 3.7 update

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hi all,

I made a short video about Web-Cam head tracking in 3.6, I don't have time to make a video these days however I do have time to type an update for 3.7 - it's been tweaked again and I can only say it's a whole step forward. Considering my web cam is a Microsoft HD-3000 which cost a total of £25 it's become impressively capable.

You have to activate FOIP to make the head tracking work as with 3.6 so don't be caught out by that! Turn on head tracking for all relevant situations, it allows you to choose to have it on foot, when sat etc and also if you want to turn off head rolling. The screen will tilt the horizon to match your head tilting to the side. I have it on as it's awesome when flying over ground to keep the horizon level.

Now, as far as capability improvement goes I have a desk lamp that I shine off the wall to illuminate my play-space so I can see my keyboard. The reflected light comes out at 3.8 EV at ISO 100 (I used a lightmeter - Sekonic 308), as it was ISO 100 that means it was 3.8 in LV (Light Value)

To put 3.8 LV in context:
10 is a dull overcast day in a city.
7 is typical indoor light, or the light you would see outdoors 10 minutes after sunset.
3 is a brightly lit street at night.
2 is a standard lit street at night.
1 is a street with no lighting at night.
An other way of putting it in context if you are a camera user is EV4 at aperture f5.6 ISO100 would need a shutter speed of 2 seconds!

No stuttering, no lag, no losing tracking lock every so often, fully usable from a cheap web-cam with a small desk lamp reflecting light off a wall, not dark but not studio lighting bright either. Previously I sometimes had to shine the lamp directly on my face over the screen to get best performance... a definite improvement.

I'd say my own personal findings are it's come on a lot - if you have not tried it since 3.6 give it another go it might just surprise you... or I got lucky and they just happened to optimise for the web-cam I have!

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That might be something worthwhile for me to investigate again @NaffNaffBobFace. In 3.6 it drove me nuts because of glare, and I couldn't tell where the glare was coming from. I stopped using it really quickly. Now I have some better (adjustable, LED) lighting available. I don't know about right-hand vision but if it works I might be able to see enough.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That might be something worthwhile for me to investigate again @NaffNaffBobFace. In 3.6 it drove me nuts because of glare, and I couldn't tell where the glare was coming from. I stopped using it really quickly. Now I have some better (adjustable, LED) lighting available. I don't know about right-hand vision but if it works I might be able to see enough.
Best of luck with it, hope it is now responsive enough from what I expirianced standard room lighting seems like it may be enough...? :)

Last edited:
Forgot your password?