Week 4 Recap

Munken

Game Master
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
MunkenTEST
Wow what a night? Granted a lot of people had to go, we definitely had a lot more action this time.

What did we learn?
We are trying to change it from Saturday to Sunday. The reason for this is that Saturday is a work day for some people, and we hope Sunday is a little more convenient.

The 19:00 GMT 14:00 EST looks to work fine. We can’t have it any later, if we move it to Sunday, because the Europeans need sleep.

Hawken was a great game where you progress quickly and there is a lot of action. But the 12 player limit caused us to split up in groups, something that we would try to avoid.

What’s next?
So for the next SSS we will play… Tetris? We don’t know yet. Hawken could work but we are open for suggestions. If you want to have a say in the matter go through this Answer sheet (it will only take a minute) if you already have, you can edit it if you want something new. This is what we use to determine what we play.

That’s it. more information Tuesday

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
Sunday works, but lets change it after superbowl sunday. We may lose a few head next week otherwise.

Reactions: SeungRyul

HechtorDravere

Commander
Jan 4, 2014
RSI Handle
HechtorDravere
I fucking love Hawken, but I think something along the lines of Planetside 2 or Warthunder might be better. Also, I wanna recommend Wargame: Airland Battle. You can have up to 10 vs 10 and it is a lot of fun, even though I am useless with it.

Monilas

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2013
Eh, Saturday worked out slightly better for me than Sunday, but we should at least try it, see who can show up. I am intrigued by the mention of Wargame: Airland allowing such large games.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
The Saturday 14:00 EST time seemed like a good overall time. I agree with the issue of the limited number of players on HAWKEN. When I was on for a short time, it seemed like we were split among 2 or 3 different servers. Would be nice to have everybody together :)

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
We could also turn the SSS into a weekend thing, covering both saturday and sunday.
Saturdays work better for me than Sundays, but I'll give Sunday a shot. I have some mild concerns about splitting action up into both Saturday and Sunday. If we've enough people who can do both, or plenty of people who can do one but not the other, it could work well, but if most of the gang can only do one day per week it'll just dilute the turnout for both days.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I think War Thunder can have custom games of 16 vs 16? so up to 32 wouldn't be a problem... and you can make password protected rooms

About the time frame, last week, I tried to squeeze in the 2pm slot.

To be honest though, I don't know what days I'm actually free, or what time. It will have to be from week to week =b...

This upcoming weekend though, as I'll be going back home to my parents' probably on Saturday, Sunday would work better for me.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
it's a long time until alpha.

hawken seemed really nice, because everyone knew how to play it after seconds. i think it's the perfect backup game.

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
I think War Thunder can have custom games of 16 vs 16? so up to 32 wouldn't be a problem... and you can make password protected rooms

We did this 2 weekends ago and it kind of sucked because you could not earn XP in a custom game. That was my first time playing and I wanted to unlock some boats! So we mostly stayed in matchmaking, with 2 squads, but were rarely matched together. In that respect, Hawken was better because we could group up in an entire server (or 3) and earn upgrades.

It would be really great if we could get a game big enough to handle us in a specific server and upgrades.... planetside 2 comes to mind.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
We did this 2 weekends ago and it kind of sucked because you could not earn XP in a custom game. That was my first time playing and I wanted to unlock some boats! So we mostly stayed in matchmaking, with 2 squads, but were rarely matched together. In that respect, Hawken was better because we could group up in an entire server (or 3) and earn upgrades.

It would be really great if we could get a game big enough to handle us in a specific server and upgrades.... planetside 2 comes to mind.
ah that's true... then again, War Thunder itself has REALLY horrible upgrade system that's extremely slow... so I don't think it would really change much in the matter of a weekend... maybe we could just limit ourselves to bi-planes (or pea shooters) =b they can be some mindless fun sometimes (they turn so well)

never tried planetside 2.

what other f2p group game that has no level up or unlock system? and basically skill based?

Vapsyvox

Designated Driver
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
Vapsyvox
ah that's true... then again, War Thunder itself has REALLY horrible upgrade system that's extremely slow... so I don't think it would really change much in the matter of a weekend... maybe we could just limit ourselves to bi-planes (or pea shooters) =b they can be some mindless fun sometimes (they turn so well)

never tried planetside 2.

what other f2p group game that has no level up or unlock system? and basically skill based?
Well, there is Tribes:Ascend.

Munken

Game Master
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
MunkenTEST
Is it possible to run our own private Hawken server and configure it to allow more players per team?
It's not possible to host a private server in Hawken at the moment. They have been talking about it but it’s under development. (It is possible through 3 party clients, but the limit remains 12 players.)

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
It might defeat to purpose, but maybe one weekend a month we could have maybe 3 different games being played that don't have large enough servers / large parties and people can choose which to play or jump between them. It seems pretty hard to find something to accommodate 20+ people that is f2p.

That said, planetside 2 is perfect... it will put us all in the same game and even all in a platoon. I haven't played in a while, but it can be good fun when a party.

Reactions: SkippyLeDoo

Vapsyvox

Designated Driver
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
Vapsyvox
Saturdays work better for me than Sundays, but I'll give Sunday a shot. I have some mild concerns about splitting action up into both Saturday and Sunday. If we've enough people who can do both, or plenty of people who can do one but not the other, it could work well, but if most of the gang can only do one day per week it'll just dilute the turnout for both days.
We could spiff up sundays with a different theme and focus(Drunk squad? non-F2P-games?), making it a different experience and thus attracting those who'd already played the day before. And then we'd call it Sloppy Second Sundays.

As i see it, we aren't exactly lacking players. If there aren't enough CitizenTesties, we could join up with PlanetTesties, NinjaTesties or whatever other kinds of Testies there are.

Reactions: JoeCool4433

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
Just picked up Rust. If enough people get that, would could built a test village!

Forgot your password?