Welding Sooon. How do I even?

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
The galvanized sheet steel we use most is quite paintable. We spray paint it all the time. It does however have a very thin coat of oil residue, which affects painting and might affect electroplating if you didn't wipe it off first.

Maynard is right about the fumes. We Solder door pans and other flashing made from our metal regularly. Between the flux, oil, and other fumes, we have to use respirators. Also, our plasma table has an exhaust fan, which runs non-stop when the table is cutting. Spot welding isn't a problem.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I have done welding before but I was never very good, once I welded the welding gun to the welder and had to use another welder to unwelded the weldering gun from the first welder but I used the second welder instead as it was too much trouble.

Greengiant506

Admiral
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Greengiant506
I have done welding before but I was never very good, once I welded the welding gun to the welder and had to use another welder to unwelded the weldering gun from the first welder but I used the second welder instead as it was too much trouble.
Just crank the power, can't weld the welder if there's no material left to weld.

Aug 12, 2017
RSI Handle
F_Tek
I have never lifted a welding torch in real life but i do own a CCU for a Crucible which I believe makes me eminently qualified to answer all your welding questions.

(any advise given is for like gaining use and should considered neither safe nor accurate)

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
As someone who is from cape breton, I can confirm the newfie speak
A caper! My roommate in basic was one of you. Fuck do we get arrested a lot.

So the basic welding package was great. We did MIG, TIG, Oxy/Acetaline, Aluminum, and flux, stick.... I think we covered almost everything.

I made a lot of metal plates... and a pipe rack / stand.

I Wanted To make an Aurora.... but necessity... meh

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
A caper! My roommate in basic was one of you. Fuck do we get arrested a lot.

So the basic welding package was great. We did MIG, TIG, Oxy/Acetaline, Aluminum, and flux, stick.... I think we covered almost everything.

I made a lot of metal plates... and a pipe rack / stand.

I Wanted To make an Aurora.... but necessity... meh
One of these days id like to get a welder and try some out for myself I hear TIG welding is the way to go these days.

Forgot your password?