Welp...dropped $850 on some new hardware for my rig...

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
I got a decent rig right now, AMD FX-8320, 32GB ram, NVidia 980ti...

But my CPU was really starting to hold me back. I wasn't sure what to get, ended up springing for an i7 6700k. Apparently, they OC up to about 5Ghz fairly easily with proper cooling. Also picked up a new mobo (needed for the CPU and the Oculus which apparently needs shit loads of USB 3.0) and, of course, with a new mobo comes the need for new RAM, grabbed 64GB.

New system will look like;
-Intel i7-6700k (Hopefully OC up to 4.7-5.0Ghz, got a nice Corsair watercooler with 2x240mm fans)
-32GB DDR4 3000 ram (again, hopefully OC a bit, I think you can get these puppers up to around 3400 without heat being an issue) with another 32 gig next month probably
-NVidia MSI GTX 980ti (currently OCd this guy to a little over 1500, but I got some whiggin out after that on a Heaven bench. Might have drawn the short straw with chip quality...)

Anyone running a similar rig? Right now, I'm getting a buttery smooth 60(w/ VSync on my shitty monitor) in hangar and AC, but I drop to 30-45 in PU because of my CPU bottleneck. Hoping that combined with the recent news that the devs are starting to look at optimization AND the fact the i7 6700k benches almost 100% better in 3D gaming than my current, I can get a decent framerate.

Right now, I'm in Japan and I can't order a new gaming monitor because no one will ship a monitor here. When I get back to the states, however, I'm hoping to pick up a 2k 144hz monitor.

My wallet is in pain, but my inner nerd is stoked;
newgear.jpg

CorruptSave

Rear Admiral
Mar 24, 2016
RSI Handle
CorruptSave
Just recently finished my PC. I have the i7 too, it's great. I went Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo, 16GB ram, Sapphire 390 gpu, and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. SC runs very smooth, only dips in frames occasionally.

Reactions: Rainshine

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Just recently finished my PC. I have the i7 too, it's great. I went Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo, 16GB ram, Sapphire 390 gpu, and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. SC runs very smooth, only dips in frames occasionally.
What do your frames look like in PU? You getting 60, even with their broken netcode?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
With those stats you really should SLI that 980ti :D

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thought about it, but I'm torn between SLIing the card or waiting for the pascal GTX10xx line. Hard choice.
Maybe SLI now and wait for the model after the GTX10xx. Looking at the progression map they put out its insane how much better those will be.

Or scrap that, what I'm going to do is just wait til Beta and the announcement that the game will go live then buy it. Why get stuck with old-gen hardware when it goes live.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Maybe SLI now and wait for the model after the GTX10xx. Looking at the progression map they put out its insane how much better those will be.

Or scrap that, what I'm going to do is just wait til Beta and the announcement that the game will go live then buy it. Why get stuck with old-gen hardware when it goes live.
Valid. But, they did point out that top end-rigs of today will be able to run the game on low, and that was 2014 IIRC. So, I think I can manage a solid medium with my rig now, once I get my upgrades.

But, my rig is pretty much a hobby, I like to have new components. What I might do is not buy any more upgrades now (Except a new ssd, kinda need another), and pool the money. Then, when pascal 10xx drops, grab two top end cards for SLI and call it a win for a few years.

Reactions: Grimbli

CorruptSave

Rear Admiral
Mar 24, 2016
RSI Handle
CorruptSave
What do your frames look like in PU? You getting 60, even with their broken netcode?
No, not unless I'm just standing around on a station. If somethings going on, like I'm flying or whatever, it's around 45. Can't complain though, still looks great.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know the results.

As I'm sure no one is surprised, I got a massive boost to FPS in PU from the upgraded CPU. Granted, the AMD FX8320 was a bit old, and the i7-6700k is pretty new, but still the different was night and day. Prior, I used to get between 20-30 FPS in universe, but it fluctuated madly, spiking down to as low as 10 or as high as 40. No consistency. With the new CPU, I run a smooth 50-55 constantly. I haven't noticed drops in frames between populated and unpopulated shards either. In fact, the first time I spawned in I started at 55, went downstairs and walked into the screen room which had 5 other players in it. Dropped to 50, which remained constant until I exited about a half hour later.

It also, for whatever reason, completely stopped SC from crashing when I select "exit game". I have no idea why, but with my older specs SC crashed when I exited every. single. time. Got the whole "SC has stopped working..." bullshit. Now, I can exit and it works properly to shut down the application.

Long story short, if you're chopping in the verse and have a decent GFX card, upgrade that CPU and waste even MORE time in the verse! SS attached with my pretty consistent FPS.

ScreenShot0012.jpg

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hey looks really good. Amd has always been weak at single/few threaded games and stronger in highly multithreaded games. SC is not highly multithreaded at the moment so you will find a good fast intel running at 4Ghz+ will bomp a bomp the frame rate like a good'un.

You tried a bit over overclocking yet? If you've got a decent heatsink, you can usually get a fair chunk without doing anything special. I run my 3.5Ghz at 4.6 Ghz it makes quite a difference.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Hey looks really good. Amd has always been weak at single/few threaded games and stronger in highly multithreaded games. SC is not highly multithreaded at the moment so you will find a good fast intel running at 4Ghz+ will bomp a bomp the frame rate like a good'un.

You tried a bit over overclocking yet? If you've got a decent heatsink, you can usually get a fair chunk without doing anything special. I run my 3.5Ghz at 4.6 Ghz it makes quite a difference.
Yeah, running mine at 4.4 right now, taking it a little slow to watch heat. The Corsair cooler is amazing, it runs 20-22 idle, running SC only takes her up to ~60. Honestly, I think I could crank it up to 4.8 (I've read of people rolling it at 5 without issues), but I want to take it nice and slow, benchmark and watch for consistency over the next few days/weeks before I go higher.

Even though it looks great now, I always get that nag in the back of my head that I did something wrong and she'll blow at any minute. Irrational, I suppose, but a fear nonetheless.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Anyone running a similar rig? Right now, I'm getting a buttery smooth 60(w/ VSync on my shitty monitor) in hangar and AC, but I drop to 30-45 in PU because of my CPU bottleneck. Hoping that combined with the recent news that the devs are starting to look at optimization AND the fact the i7 6700k benches almost 100% better in 3D gaming than my current, I can get a decent framerate.
Your rig is a bit of overkill for what SC seems to need right now. I get 60 fps in hangar and never under 30 in PU with a far worse PC than yours (my specs below, in my signature). I think you'll notice the difference in the future, though, once the game gets more optimization.

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Your rig is a bit of overkill for what SC seems to need right now. I get 60 fps in hangar and never under 30 in PU with a far worse PC than yours (my specs below, in my signature). I think you'll notice the difference in the future, though, once the game gets more optimization.
I'm actually planning to wait til game is near release for newer tech. I'm waiting for the cards coming after the cards we're waiting on now. Those projected specs are insanely out of this world!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I'm actually planning to wait til game is near release for newer tech. I'm waiting for the cards coming after the cards we're waiting on now. Those projected specs are insanely out of this world!
Yeah, that seems to be the way to go. I'll probably get an upgrade too 1-2 months before SC is released.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
2x 240mm fans!? That's huge. Think that was a 2x 120mm setup.

6700k is a great chip. Even at 4.5 is a fully viable option. Throw a 950 pro in the mix for load times, you will appreciate it later.

The 980ti is a great card but it is industry reveal season so there's that too.

Heat is nearly never an issue for ram. I have run ddr3 3600 on air. (Ddr3 2133 8/8/9/24 sticks). Ddr4 with a proper tune can hit 3600 on most enthusiast sticks in less than a hour.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
It is, but it's pretty much my only hobby. To be honest, PC gaming is a pretty cheap hobby, as far as they go, so I don't mind dropping a few grand to keep her up to date. Not sure what my FPS without vsync would be, probably be over in hangar/AC. Got kinda a shitty monitor right now, haven't found a company that will ship a high-quality gaming monitor to a Marine Corps installation overseas, so I'm waiting till I get back to the states to buy a new one.

Probably a good plan. At this point, after my monitor, I'm pooling my upgrade funds to wait for the new GTX10XX series. Probably pick up a pair when they drop for SLI, then I should be good for a while.

2x 240mm fans!? That's huge. Think that was a 2x 120mm setup.

6700k is a great chip. Even at 4.5 is a fully viable option. Throw a 950 pro in the mix for load times, you will appreciate it later.

The 980ti is a great card but it is industry reveal season so there's that too.

Heat is nearly never an issue for ram. I have run ddr3 3600 on air. (Ddr3 2133 8/8/9/24 sticks). Ddr4 with a proper tune can hit 3600 on most enthusiast sticks in less than a hour.
I couldn't recommend that Corsair cooler enough. Idle she runs 20-23ish, under load I have yet to break 65 degrees at my current 4.4 OC. I think I can safely go to 4.8, maybe even 5.0, without heat issues. It's a beast of a cooler, so much so that the intake if cold when I put my hand on it. Pretty neat.

Forgot your password?