What should this US Government Employee do, during the shut down?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
When we are talking about what is, as far as we know, the only life sustaining planet in existence - I'd say it's worth while to make a bit of a molehill out of it.

If they are wrong, where is the harm in doing something? It won't actually effect anything and we'll all be fine.
If they are right? There isn't anywhere else to go if they are right. Thats it. The end.

All the sheep, all the wolves and all the moles that make the molehills won't matter as they will be gone too. The mountains may still be there, but they will be barren. The planet has had several near-total extinction events where life has only just clung on. This isn't sensationalism it's happened several times, we are lucky to be here, as big as it is the Earth isn't some indestructible fortress.

As far as we are aware we are the first species that has it in our power to actually do something to prevent - or cause - the next mass extinction event. Some scientists think we are actually in one right now.

So where is the actual harm in doing something about it now and gauging if we needed to when we actually have the technology, knowledge and ability to tell if it was worth it?

There is harm in doing the wrong thing even if its for the right reasons. There often is harm in knee jerk reactions to perceived threats and there is harm in waiting to long to deal with upcoming issues as there is harm in doing the wrong thing to address the upcoming issues. Sometimes the town crier is right and something needs to be done now and with out pause, but at the same time they could just be shouting at the voices in their head and it would prudent to ignore their cries at a minimal and get them help if possible.

I have witnessed multiple medical situations were it would have been far more beneficial to the victim if people did nothing then what they attempted to do. While their hearts were in the right place with the wanting to do something they ended up doing the wrong thing due to their own inexperience and caused far more harm.

I am not suggestion we do nothing I am simply saying our actions and inactions matter and sometimes while our intent is good our actions are harmful and it would be better to have done nothing at all. So by all means do the right thing when you have knowledge of what the right thing is but its not prudent to go running into the night because you feel you must do something but have no clue what it is or how it will impact you or others.

So where is the actual harm in doing something about it now and gauging if we needed to when we actually have the technology, knowledge and ability to tell if it was worth it?
With out knowing what this something is nor what actions are proposed to be taken its hard to gauge what the possible harm is if any. My stance has been in the abstract with the TLDR being our actions and inactions have weight and impact those around us and so we should be diligent.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
As much as I would like to weigh in to this conversation with something other than throw away humour, I think the rules at Lodge apply here too - don’t discuss politics or religion.

Back to the shit-posting.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As much as I would like to weigh in to this conversation with something other than throw away humour, I think the rules at Lodge apply here too - don’t discuss politics or religion.

Back to the shit-posting.
Can't see any politics here. By the logic of of doing nothing won't have any effect, Shirley, doing somthing won't have an effect either.

so.. back to the british are coming.. and my face <3
You cheeky scamps!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
There is harm in doing the wrong thing even if its for the right reasons. There often is harm in knee jerk reactions to perceived threats and there is harm in waiting to long to deal with upcoming issues as there is harm in doing the wrong thing to address the upcoming issues. Sometimes the town crier is right and something needs to be done now and with out pause, but at the same time they could just be shouting at the voices in their head and it would prudent to ignore their cries at a minimal and get them help if possible.

I have witnessed multiple medical situations were it would have been far more beneficial to the victim if people did nothing then what they attempted to do. While their hearts were in the right place with the wanting to do something they ended up doing the wrong thing due to their own inexperience and caused far more harm.

I am not suggestion we do nothing I am simply saying our actions and inactions matter and sometimes while our intent is good our actions are harmful and it would be better to have done nothing at all. So by all means do the right thing when you have knowledge of what the right thing is but its not prudent to go running into the night because you feel you must do something but have no clue what it is or how it will impact you or others.

With out knowing what this something is nor what actions are proposed to be taken its hard to gauge what the possible harm is if any. My stance has been in the abstract with the TLDR being our actions and inactions have weight and impact those around us and so we should be diligent.
I see where you are coming from, however by this logic so much in the world would not have been started and never would have become a problem:

Smoking tobacco
Using asbestos
Leaded fuel
Giving pregnant mothers Thalidomide
Lead water pipes

The above are just some of the more major examples - If we are going to die by that logic, we have to live by it, too. We are not living by that logic.

Thank you for conceding that if consensus is reached something should be able to be done. I do see where you are coming from with the wrong things for the right reasons - my list of examples is also example of that (Some doctors used to proscribe tobacco smoking to throat cancer patients).

I suppose we'll just have to leave it there 🙂 When there is finally concensus, it just means the impact of any measures we take will have to be even greater.

Last edited:

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
Can't see any politics here. By the logic of of doing nothing won't have any effect, Shirley, doing somthing won't have an effect either.

You cheeky scamps!
It is standard operating procedure this side of the pond. Since we cant come up with the perfect answer on day one then the way forward is to do nothing.

I've lived my life that way to mostly mediocre results.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It is standard operating procedure this side of the pond. Since we cant come up with the perfect answer on day one then the way forward is to do nothing.

I've lived my life that way to mostly mediocre results.

My worry is by the time there is more proof, it may be a case of the following:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I see where you are coming from, however by this logic so much in the world would not have been started and never would have become a problem:

Smoking tobacco
Using asbestos
Leaded fuel
Giving pregnant mothers Thalidomide
Lead water pipes

The above are just some of the more major examples - If we are going to die by that logic, we have to live by it, too. We are not living by that logic.

Thank you for conceding that if consensus is reached something should be able to be done. I do see where you are coming from with the wrong things for the right reasons - my list of examples is also example of that (Some doctors used to proscribe tobacco smoking to throat cancer patients).

I suppose we'll just have to leave it there 🙂 When there is finally concensus, it just means the impact of any measures we take will have to be even greater.
Indeed we do have to live and die by logic, and sometimes our logic if faulty other times we are spot on. But to return it back to the original idea, I have no issue with putting in ones full effort an infact encourage it, but we have to be careful of the source of information as a lot of it is heavily filtered and dramatized to push an agenda and drum up views.

And while there is injustice and bad things happening I would wager that far more good things that are happening with in this world. And for most of us we are rather spoiled in our lives. We just have to make sure when we attempt to help others we do so in a way that truly helps them and doesn't make their life worse off.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Indeed we do have to live and die by logic, and sometimes our logic if faulty other times we are spot on. But to return it back to the original idea, I have no issue with putting in ones full effort an infact encourage it, but we have to be careful of the source of information as a lot of it is heavily filtered and dramatized to push an agenda and drum up views.

And while there is injustice and bad things happening I would wager that far more good things that are happening with in this world. And for most of us we are rather spoiled in our lives. We just have to make sure when we attempt to help others we do so in a way that truly helps them and doesn't make their life worse off.
I appreciate what you mean, however please allow me one last point on denying information - even when it is from what can be regarded as a cast iron sources:

Say for instance atmospheric change causes more rain. Much more. In fact so much more it rains almost constantly, all over the world, for years.

So scientists say "Here, here is your proof! It has rained constantly for hundreds of days! Can we please do something now?" others can, quite rightly, say "but that happened before! It rained constantly globally for 2 million years during the Carnia Pluvial Episode this is just part of the natural cycle of the world!" and there is worldwide fossil record proof for it:

The same with the globe being enveloped in ice. The same with worldwide drought. It's all happened before. The difference this time is it's happening in decades. It takes eons for this stuff to happen naturally - the fossil records, the proof, shows that.

Even when justifiable events happen, they can be denied, even if it is something as ridiculous as it raining constantly for years and years at a time - But just because something happened naturally in the past, it doesn't mean it is happening naturally now.

Please do continue to make life good for those around you, that's great, but we as a species are in an honored position and right now it's all ours to loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horatus

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If we start murdering fully developed babies, we're gonna have a hard time convincing people we aren't evil.

Nah dude, I got this, "ORANGE MAN BAD!"
Am I supposed to infer a coherent, logical thought from that utterance?

Forgot your password?