When is a Ship Too Much for Single Play?

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
I'm just curious if there any other Freelancer owners who are concerned that, with the redesign, she's become way too much to handle by just one player.

I pledged for the ship back in 2012 because she was bigger than the 300i, and cheaper than the Constellation. At the time we were told that all ships available could be run by a single player. I really do not see that now. She is a lot bigger.

Even though I have added a Hull B for cargo and a couple of Reliants for exploring and dogfighting the Freelancer is still my first love. Problem is I now feel inadequate. Should we go our separate ways? Should I trade her for a slimmer, faster model? Is this just a mid- developed- game crisis that I will get over with a little time?

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I have a DUR and actually am happy with the changes.
We Freelancer 'owners' have been asking for some of these changes for months.
The Freelancers are still to best general purpose ships.

Naruw

Grand Admiral
Aug 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Naruw
I've been thinking about this for along time, (as I'm sure most of us have.)
Maybe it's wishful thinking but I view the roll out and use of AI crew to morph over the life of the PU.

Initially, I think AI crew will be far less effective then humans and they will be a real detriment when compared to a player crew team however, over time and the novelty of "serving" on someone else ship wears off. I think more and more ability / usability will be granted to AI crew.

When all is said and done most people want to be the captain of their own ship additionally, can you imagine a game that requires people to be online and will to serve on one ship in order to make it effective or usable, maybe at first but as the game establishes its self, this will be ever diminished, or so I would contend.

While a human or player crew will be better. I would bet the gap becomes a lot closer the longer multi crew ships are available. Human nature is to make our selves the focal point of a narrative and an Idris cant have 6-10 players wanting to be the focal point of the experience, at least not for any sustainable amount of time..
I'm hoping they draw a line at the Idris size vessel and say, "this will be the largest single player controlled ship." Its purely arbitrary but when you get to the Large capital ship classes, they are just to big and powerful for most players to own and control on their own. Idris is probably borderline but being that I own one I don't want to curtail my adventure to others availability to be online and their willingness to follow my orders, no matter how inspired.

Only time will tell but this notion is what I've based a lot of my ship purchases and funding on, If I'm wrong maybe I'll be disappointed...If not then maybe CIG will come up with a new way of playing a game that throws out old notions of raid groups, fire teams ect.

No matter what what ever was intended/planned, it will of course be subject to the play style that is most fun and adaptable to peoples availability / desires with in the boundaries of balancing the PU.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
like girls out of high school she got 25% bigger
I am okay with these changes. I picture the lancer as a firefly class from... Firefly, and now it seems to be a bit closer in size to how I'd picture it being. Always thought the cabin was a bit to small anyways.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
The best change, in my opinion, is that the airlock is 2 1/2 times longer and wider. We will be able to store SCUs (repair parts/supplies/etc) on both sides and still have a passage way/airlock. Great improvement. I am very happy with this.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
So at what point are they going to start putting out ships that make all ships crap. I.E capitals, cruisers, battlecruisers, etc. thats what im interested. The ships that are going to essentially one shot all these other ships.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
So at what point are they going to start putting out ships that make all ships crap. I.E capitals, cruisers, battlecruisers, etc. thats what im interested. The ships that are going to essentially one shot all these other ships.
Already done.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
There are already 1shot(or one volley) capable ships. An idris rail gun (i remember something about the idris having a capital rail gun) could easily mulch an Aurora, and theoretically the retribution (I think that was the name) may have a super weapon that could pop an idris. However, tracking and targeting speed will be these superweapons downfall.

Plus, knock out shield with a disrupter and shoot the power core or cockpit with a big gun, also technically a one shot.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
There are already 1shot(or one volley) capable ships. An idris rail gun (i remember something about the idris having a capital rail gun) could easily mulch an Aurora, and theoretically the retribution (I think that was the name) may have a super weapon that could pop an idris. However, tracking and targeting speed will be these superweapons downfall.

Plus, knock out shield with a disrupter and shoot the power core or cockpit with a big gun, also technically a one shot.
oh no, im talking about idris and merchant men and the bigger ships and the carrack get one shot.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
oh no, im talking about idris and merchant men and the bigger ships and the carrack get one shot.
I'm sure a well placed torpedo could one shot some large ships, assuming shields are down
Though, one shot is subjective. To me its that all the crew are dead or the ship is no longer repairable except by salvage/dry-dock style repairs.

Forgot your password?