Which to buy first?

Lotus

Captain
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lelanti
Scavenged up all my extra money to buy this PC to play this game on, and don't have a ship. Funny, huh? So I need some advise.

Should I go for a ship I want such as the Avenger Titan, or simply a aurora? I'm saying this because I'd be on a serious budget, and lots of my friends say " You don't really need your own ship, as long as you have a basic one and the game package lots of people will have big crew ships ".

What do you guys think?

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
I say start with an aurora. It is the TEST way after all. Once you have played bumper cars with floating space objects then you will have a good idea of the handling. You can always upgrade the basic package or just buy another ship... or three... or ten. They do have melting incase you are not happy. That's my 1/50th of a buck.

Reactions: SeungRyul

Pandoz

Grand Admiral
Mar 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Pandoz
I'd vote Aurora as well. Can always melt and upgrade later if you want (or at least tell yourself that until you've spent $1,000)....not that is what happened to me or anything.

On a related note, I have some Aurora packages for sale from the 2015 anniversary sale (at cost, $30 for TEST members).

-Pandoz

Reactions: RipVanDan

Drillbit

Rear Admiral
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Drillbit
In all seriousness wouldn't recomend you buy an aurora. Because you want something that's capable during alpha, beta and less of a grind when the game is out. As you simply won't have enough fun flying around in a aurora compared to something like a Avenger/ 300i.

And you might want to think what exactly you want to do specifically in the game. (Bounty hunter, commercial pilot, racer, pirate, explorer ect ect) But, I would recommend a Avenger if your willing to pay for it, as the package does come with a fair bit more than a basic aurora. If you think the avenger is too much, I wouldn't go any lower than a Mustang Beta package if I were you.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
An Aurora is all you need. A good Aurora LN is a passable little combat ship and actually pretty fun to fly. Not to mention once you're in the PTU, you'll have plenty of jobs to take to buy in-game ships. Also, you'll have lots of opportunities (if you want to) to fly on multicrew ships and earn some money that way.

Reactions: Blind Owl

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
An Aurora will get you started just fine and can be upgraded to any other ship you might want later. Start with whatever variant you feel like. The LN will probably get you a little more mileage right now (and it's a solid little ship), but if you definitely want to do something other than combat just get the most basic version to start.

Hop into 2.0 and have some fun with it. If you think you might want something else, get some REC and rent a different ship to try it out before spending the cash (even if it's just an Aurora variant). That's what I did with most of my (very small) fleet.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Aurora LN. You'll have a riot. Then get drunk and buy about 6 more ships. Because ships! And beer.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Get an Aurora to start. They are good overall trainers for the current flight models as they're really forgiving. Yes they're slow, but they're not designed for speed. In the current Alpha phase, you'll be surrounded by sociopaths. They will shoot you, ram you, and generally grief because its total anarchy while we push the current iteration to its breaking points. The LN can defend itself and take some punishment. There is plenty of time to upgrade to any other ship but you should start from the bottom and master your craft. She flies like a boat, a 4-gun and missile boat

Last edited:

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Also, your friends' point is valid. All you need is a basic ship and lots of friends with bigger ships to start. You picked the right org for #2.

War Pig, Captain of:

MISC Endeavor
MISC Star G
MISC Reliant
Drake Herald

(all multi crew ships that you will be more than welcome to join once they drop in the 'Verse)

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
My opinion is that you should buy the cheapest available ship package first, so you're able to log in and play. Fly your ship around, get on board of other players' ships, explore. You can always upgrade later via the CCU system - Cross-Chassis Upgrade (and by later, I mean 30 seconds after you've bought your first ship, if you so please), so there's absolutely no need to rush.
My 1/50 UEC.

Lotus

Captain
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Lelanti
If I were you, I'd take Pandoz up on the $30 starter pack. It gets you an Aurora MR which has a $25 value towards CCU if you do not like the MR. From there is is only $10 to the Aurora LN, or $25 to the Avenger Titan.

It is the best value I have seen up to date.
What's CCU? Sorry, kind of new if you couldn't tell. :P

Truthwatcher

Commander
Oct 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Truthwatcher
What's CCU? Sorry, kind of new if you couldn't tell. :p
Cross Chassis Upgrade. It means you can turn the Aurora MR into something else by paying the difference between the ship prices.

NOTE: You cannot go backwards and get a credit(at least, not yet, or at any point that I am aware of), so be certain you want to upgrade.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
Start out with the Aurora package, which is a kinda jack-of-all-trades master-of-none ship. If that doesn't suit your style, sidegrade (free upgrade) to the Mustang, a faster fighter but with no missles. When you find the preference of what ship you like, maybe then think about upgrading to a better ship.

Also, once you first pledge, there are free ships that you can access, that change about every week or so

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Here is what I did. Bought an Aurora Starter Package, when I had enough money, CCU'd it into a 300i.... and Kept going from there. Now, this all started before the PU was even close to being ready, hell, my favorite ship (the Cutlass) had just been made flyable. Then, when I got my Tax Returns, I got my Cutlass, and still had enough for a couple of other ships, and a crapload of hangar flair and a few months of subscriptions.

P.S. I'm at over $500 at this point, so, ya, start small. With Crusader and the Multi-crew stuff, you can fly anything...... most likely. And if you ever wanna try the Cutlass, just let me know, I'll set something up.

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
As someone who went a bit crazy on ship collecting (swear to god it disabled my logic/common sense)
I got quite a few large ships that I will be leaving open positions on for any and all TEST memebers that want to try all the things once the game is live. ( mining/salvage/repairs/fuel)

If CIG does put a good leasing system in place, I will rent/lead out ships i am not using for Org use as long as the expenses are covered to maintain the ship.

Forgot your password?