Who would win? Dogfights you’d like to watch

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
For a bit of fun, what two ships would YOU like to see square off against each other in a dogfight (stock, QT not allowed)? Let‘s see what two ships you nominate, your crew sizes and why you think that 1-on-1 fight would be fun to play or watch. Why? Which ship wins, if the players are all equally skilled?

For example, I’d definitely watch a Reclaimer go up against a Starfarer, 2 players in each. Possibly in atmo starting just outside the Orison no-fire zone. Fun because neither is a fighter but both have guns, they’re both so slow and because heavy ships hate Crusader’s gravity. I reckon the Starfarer wins due to slightly better manoeuvrability.

I probably wouldn’t watch an Argo MPUV-C vs a Javelin, one player each. That should be either a very short fight, or an indefinitely long one, but I can’t see it being too entertaining either way.

I’m sure Test can come up with better “I’d like to see…” fights than those! Have at it. And maybe we come up with a shortlist to actually try out?

Last edited:
Reactions: FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I would like to see any fully crewed* medium to large industrial multicrew ship against same number of players in snubs on the opposing side.

*Fully crewed including captains, copilots, engineers, etc. where applicable, even if they're missing gameplay RN.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Montoya versus Brian Chambers in mud wrestling.

The man with the perfect hair versus the man who don't need no damn hair!!!

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Hurricane takes it, the Ares is slow to turn.
If fully crewed I think that‘s right, but…
Which ship wins, if the players are all equally skilled?
… and both sides have the same number of crew?

I must try out my loaner Hurricane (for Scorpius). It sounds good!

However, the Ares is a single seater. So how about with only one player per ship, not 2vs1? According to Subliminal (00:25:23) the Hurricane has a turret with 4xS3, and 2xS4 for the pilot. [Edit: according to the RSI page there are even more guns than that!] Are the turret weapons slaved to the pilot if there’s no turret gunner? If not, and the crew on both have equal skill, 2xS4 is a closer match for 1xS7. Doesn’t the Ares have much longer range, and isn’t it really fast? If so, it should extend and engage at range.

[Edit 2: Erkul says 2xS3 for the pilot (not S4?!) and 4xS3 on a manned turret. Is the spec on the RSI page for the ship wrong? Is that common? Plus, while the Ares is fast at 170 m/s SCM, Erkul says the Hurricane is a blistering 198 m/s SCM! I'm leaning back towards @Montoya's call more now, even with just a pilot].

Might be a REALLY good matchup to play and spectate. I think this goes on the shortlist. Good call @Han Burgundy.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
If fully crewed I think that‘s right, but…

… and both sides have the same number of crew?
I'd say even P-72 would win against an Ares, both pilots being equally skilled. Ares is extremely vulnerable against smaller fighters.

Reactions: Raven_King

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I would like to see any fully crewed* medium to large industrial multicrew ship against same number of players in snubs on the opposing side.

*Fully crewed including captains, copilots, engineers, etc. where applicable, even if they're missing gameplay RN.

Snubs would win. I've seen swarms (around 8) of P-72 shredding a hammerhead full crewed. So an industrial medium or large ship wont last long (well exept if cap shields probably like for Hull-D and E).

Reactions: FZD and Raven_King

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
However, the Ares is a single seater. So how about with only one player per ship, not 2vs1? According to Subliminal (00:25:23) the Hurricane has a turret with 4xS3, and 2xS4 for the pilot. [Edit: according to the RSI page there are even more guns than that!] Are the turret weapons slaved to the pilot if there’s no turret gunner? If not, and the crew on both have equal skill, 2xS4 is a closer match for 1xS7. Doesn’t the Ares have much longer range, and isn’t it really fast? If so, it should extend and engage at range.
RSI page is wrong. A hurricane has 2*S4 for pilot and 4*S3 for the turret gunner. And turrets are not slaved if no gunner (for now), with just the pilot it is just 2*S4.

I agree that a Hurricane would shred any Ares as it is more agile, and can position itself where the Ares will have 0% chance of shooting back.

Reactions: Raven_King
Forgot your password?