why the Hoplite rules. . .

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As somebody who has visited NASA & operated the various training modules (including the re-entry & landing simulator), I will state that even with wings, it is not supposed to be easy to enter a planetoids atmosphere & safely land. If the space shuttle of any of the capsules currently used to transport people to & from the ISS is any indicator, there is a small window of angle at which you can enter Earth's atmosphere safely. Too shallow & you may bounce off, too steep & you either explode or can't slow down enough in time.

This being said, I love my Hoplite & plan on using it to assist friends in transporting them around to complete missions while also providing cover for them where possible. While I won't get rich off of it, it can provide the opportunity for multiple people to run around as a party completing objectives together instead of in separate ships.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I gotta say the Vanguard's looked weak in comparison to other ships but now they look like they fill a pretty decent roll.

I thought I was awesome when I first entered atmosphere and landed safely on my first go but apparently they don't want it to be 100% accurate as that would make it too difficult for the majority of players.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The 300 series has twice the wings of anything else so I have great hopes for this.
While I really like the lines & overall design / shape of the 300 series, I'm hoping that when they go back over it to update it that it will be just as nice if not better. I have a feeling that it's textures will definitely be upgraded as will its interior space.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I think judging the Redeemer based on its current model is a bit of a risky endeavor, considering it basically needs to be done from scratch all over again to make it actually usable and flyable.

Plus it was designed before there really was a solidified Aegis style sheet, so when it eventually gets pulled off the backburner, it will probably get massaged into more Aegis-like shape.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
This being said, I love my Hoplite
Here here. I have a Hoplite on loaner for my Redeemer and, I have to admit, I'm beginning to really like it. I have a CCU from Redeemer to BBM that I might not use and might switch to the Hoplite permanently.

They also have to redo the redeemer before we jump to conclusions. It could become mo' bettah looking and not brickish, by the time it is done being a hangar ornament.
See above. I'm waiting to se the redo of the Redeemer, before I choose between the Hoplite, the Redeemer or CCU to the BMM. Decisions, decisions.

The 300 absolutely needs a rework. While I love my 315, it is just way too buggy to get in/out of to be usable
I know the feeling. I love my 350r, but it's impossible to fly smoothly now. So I'll wait to see if it gets melted to something else.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Now I've had the chance to fly in atmosphere over Daymar, an observation about atmospheric flight...

Although I have only flown in the Aurora so far, which admittedly doesn't have the most wing-like of wings, I was expecting some kind of aerodynamic lift effect in atmosphere from my crafts wings.

Basically, when I banked left, I was expecting my ship to turn left due to the lift from the wings. When I yawed right, I expected it to have limited effect as the fuselage of my ship was a greater force keeping a straight line through the atmosphere than what ever rudder effect a rudder or mav thrusters could generate to turn it. In short, I was expecting to have to fly my ship like a plane in atmosphere. Even the Space Shuttle was described as the worlds worst Glider when flying it in atmosphere by its pilots.

I'll try some more wingy craft soon (I have a Saber and a 350R - the 350R has more wings than any other ship going so it should be awesome) as admittedly the Auroras don't look like they are that capable of generating lift, however it's a big part of efficient atmospheric flight which'd get the flight sim fans shouting if it is not included in the game.

Forgot your password?