Wich one to pick MSI GTX 970 G4 or R9 390 ?

HyperNova

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2015
RSI Handle
HyperNova
I personally stay as far away as possible from any AMD video card that's available. AMD consistently has the worst drivers for their video cards I've ever had to deal with and once I finally decided to buy an nVidia GPU I no longer have these issues. I don't know what happened to AMD but for the price we pay for GPU's I have to go with what works best, and that's nVidia.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
So im going to get new GPU but now i dont know wich one to pick :confused:

MSI GTX 970 Gaming, 4GB GDDR5, PCI-E 3.0

- - or - -

MSI AMD R9 390 GAMING, 8GB GDDR5

im going to upgrade Motherboard (MSI Gaming) and CPU (intel) later when i get more money.

So at this point i just need some honest opinion if any one have experience from these cards at gaming....
I have watched Youtube previews etc.. but dont know if those are "bought" o_O
I say stick to AMD probably less expensive, for the same performance. We NEED to support AMD, or nVidia is going to ruin our lives.

Reactions: rogesh

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
Seems that no matter wich one i choose, from certain point of view i choose wrong :D . My current setup have 2x Radeon HD 5770 so no matter wich one ill take it will be big leap from current :)

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
Seems that no matter wich one i choose, from certain point of view i choose wrong :D . My current setup have 2x Radeon HD 5770 so no matter wich one ill take it will be big leap from current :)
AMD and nVidia have their pros and cons :) You just have to weigh them yourself and choose how you want things done by your PC.

AMD - usually the better price per performance at the cost of power consumption
this case the R9 390 has alot of VRam paired with a good performing GPU. - Brute Force Approach

nVidia - More known for their Watt per Performance. Higher initial investment, uses better technology - Smart Approach

Bottom line - These cards perform very similar to each other with the correct configuration. Its just a matter of what pros and cons they come with that are acceptable to you.

If we were to talk about the religious holy war going on with AMD and nVidia about their principles like nVidia advertising their GTX970 comes with a full 4GB of VRam and not telling them that it will slow down if it uses more than 3.5GB and AMD's R&D Miracles by developing HBM and providing lower initial cost solutions to keep nVidia from monopolizing the GPU industry, then you will not arrive at an answer that will fit your needs (But hey, I heard they give you 72 Virigins afterwards!! havent really redeemed that coupon though.)

There is no Right or Wrong answer.
Just -- How do you want things done?? --

Last edited:

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
Long story short...

So i went to store today for new GPU. There i was GTX in one hand and R9 in other..... After loooong battle in my mind i still could not made up my mind :mad:. And then i got it!! (chanting voice) :eek: i did the thing what every true TESTie would do in that situation..... i put my hand in my pocket took a coin and flipped for new GPU :D i walked out from store with GTX 970.

Big thanks to all for help :)

Kal

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2015
RSI Handle
SamuraiKal
i did the thing what every true TESTie would do in that situation..... i put my hand in my pocket took a coin and flipped for new GPU :D i walked out from store with GTX 970.
Confirmed TESTie.

Gratz on the new card!

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Proper TEST material. :O

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
Long story short...

So i went to store today for new GPU. There i was GTX in one hand and R9 in other..... After loooong battle in my mind i still could not made up my mind :mad:. And then i got it!! (chanting voice) :eek: i did the thing what every true TESTie would do in that situation..... i put my hand in my pocket took a coin and flipped for new GPU :D i walked out from store with GTX 970.

I would not have expected anything Less from a fellow test member.
Couldn't not have been done any better !!

o7

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
Got time to replace old GPUs to new GTX and made some testing in Fallout4, got pretty solid 60fps in Ultra settings @1080p cant be any happier :D previously with old cards 2x HD5770 i got 14-25 fps @1080p and all settings on low/medium....

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
More ram = means more in DirectX 12.
The cards that can utilize more ram will reign supreme in DX12 as benchmarks show.

But I were you, I would suck it up and just buy GTX 980 Ti and be done with it.
Buy it on credit if you have to, it is the only longterm solution.
You can throw anything at it basically.
This pretty much sums up what I was going to say. I would save a little more for that sweet sweet 980 ti ;)

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Long story short...

Every single diehard fanboy and fangirl in both videocard camps must have died a little at putting such a decision to a slender disk of metal. Nicely done!

Forgot your password?