Windows 10 download for backup killed my usb

moloTov

Captain
Aug 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Mollie Hatchet
Dear all:

I tried to download windows 10 as a back up on my USB (yes i had over 3 gb free space) before installing it to my computer. It got all the way to the end of the download and then said "failed." during preparato phase. The more serious bad news is that my usb drive can’t be read now; when i try to read it a "you must format before using" message comes up. I'd like to recover the data that was the usb (yes, im an idiot for not usign a "clean" usb).

I’ve tried:

1. Using the broken usb on other computers (doesn’t work)

2. Using other usb on main computer (its fine…it’s the usb that’s the problem)

3. Renaming the drive letter (didn’t help)

4. chkdsk doesn’t work as a I get a “pathway not valid” error

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Next time don't download directly to your USB drive ;) also, you are probably not going to get the data back. You could try some data recovery tools (just google and find some free ones) else you will have to format and be done with it, good luck!

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
yeeeeah you f'd up. recovery software is prob what you wanna look
Have you tried using a Linux PC? Usually running Knoppix off a live CD/DVD/USB will read anything.....
try this first imo. if not active@file recovery is the cheapest best i've paid for.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Are you using this?

you should be using this!

Edit: Just re reading the posts. what happened here?

Edit2: I think I understand....though not sure what download Win10 as backup to USB means. Use HP usb tools to format back to normal.

As for data recovery I have used Piriform Recova before, worked well. Check the apps here.

Were you downloading a Win10 ISO to a USB or creating a bootable Win10 USB key or what?

Last edited:
Forgot your password?