Windows 10 issues

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Hey, just wondering if anyone is having any issues with their update.

Mine is really causing me problems. I installed Win10 Pro on a reformated SSD then started installing all of the programs I'm use to on my computer. Some of these are admittedly pretty old (win7 utilities) but I can't see these causing the kind of errors I'm seeing.

Main problem is that the Start Menu doesn't seem to be working properly. It is somehow reverting to a Win7 version only when I right click on the Start Button. Search and the store on the taskbar is a no go. Notification center is kaput. I've partially resolved the Start Menu thing by using a third party menu. So that's good.

I've tried repairing, reloading and reinstalling. I've 2 installation from scratch. This keeps of recuring. I have turned off all of the windows spaiware and I'm wondering if anyone in the community is having similar issues when messing with these settings. I have the feeling my registry is being corrupted and is somehow causing this havoc but no clue as to what could be causing that kind of chaos. I've run multiple spyware and cleaners and nothing really out of the ordinary has come up. I've searched at the different error messages and only come up with older errors dealing with the build last January and the solutions they have come up empty in my case.

At this point, I can't run SC [sniff].

I going to have to reinstall again me thinks. I wanted to see if anyone is having anything remotely similar to what I'm going through or am I jst that special. At this point, the only thing that I can think of doing is reinstall and double checking on any compatibility of the programs that I'm using and install them waiting a couple of days after each to discover if this recures. I would really not like doing that.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Here is one of the messages

As far as the Start menu issue, here is the Win7 menu

As far as any error messages, I don't really get any at all. The repair utility found nothing

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
I have been testing windows 10 for months. There are alot of issues. Aside from the fact MS now Keylogs everything you type on the keyboard, it also records all search query's too. But privacy aside (which there is none now) I recommend getting used to using Linux.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Here is one of the messages

As far as the Start menu issue, here is the Win7 menu

As far as any error messages, I don't really get any at all. The repair utility found nothing

what kind of video card do you have? and can you adjust your resolution/overscan? it looks like it may be off

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
you might have to do a new install still though looking at those errors, was this a clean install? An upgrade install seems the best way with 10 so far.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Well, to be honest I am getting issues too, with SC, I can not get my HOTAS to show up under controller/joystick anymore ingame in options.

Windows 10 is silly, everytime your installing hardware, you will need to disable DSE thisd literally includes mice/.keyboard/controllers/soundcards harddrives etc...

DimwitTheWise

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Dimwit_the_Wise
The screenshot for right clicking on the Start button is correct. Left clicking the Start button produces the new tiled version of the Start menu. What you show for the right click on the Start button is quick access to common things for people/admins. Control Panel, Manage, etc. That is like a secondary menu intentionally there.

The "real" Start menu should look something like http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Win10-Start.jpg

Reactions: o-BHG-o

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
you might have to do a new install still though looking at those errors, was this a clean install? An upgrade install seems the best way with 10 so far.
Started the clean install. It's the second clean so far though. I did an update the first time and the Start Menu Error was occurring then as well. I'll wait another 2 days to find out if I get the same problem.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Started the clean install. It's the second clean so far though. I did an update the first time and the Start Menu Error was occurring then as well. I'll wait another 2 days to find out if I get the same problem.
so the start thing is you dont see it at all when you left click right?

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Yeah, I left click on the Start Icon and a blue wheel appears for a few seconds then nothing. No error message nothing done. It's working now so I'll have to be careful what I install.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
I can not get my X52 to show up in SC. When I use a custom profile too, it starts to crash the game, fans on my laptops stop working and things go haywire. Interaction between joysticks in games is horrible in windows 10. In the community I participate alot in, we have over 20 cases of laptop LCD's and motherboards being fried in the last 2 weeks, because of windows 10. There is this update that disables a bunch of things, and if you do not quickly restart your system, it will crash or fry, one of the two. We speculate thousands of people are affected, we also know MS knows about the issue. It is their update that does it too.

Anyways, theres so much crap with this windows its by far the worst one Ive seen to date., It is designed to do a few things, and none of them are acceptable. It steals your information, keylogs everything and put its in an easy to access area of your harddrive, then it disabled hardware that is not WHQL certified during random driver installation. The issue is, many things get overlooked and get damaged during these random windows updates. Also you really do not have a choice anymore to get them. Also your sort of forced to use a MS account to log in, and your MY DOCUMENTS folder has become one drive, not only is it a way for them to charge you for extra cloud storage, but they legally own your files. These are your PERSONAL files - now they have them ! Also permissions are screwed up.

Most games will not work properly unless run as administrator now. The list goes on..

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Yeah, I left click on the Start Icon and a blue wheel appears for a few seconds then nothing. No error message nothing done. It's working now so I'll have to be careful what I install.
If you do end up reinstalling start with just your most basic drivers and make sure that all works, then the rest of your drivers. after that install all must have programs one by one checking that they do not have an issue. Right now it is sounding like something is corrupting your install.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I've only been running it a few days but have not had any of these issues yet. I don't recommend running reg cleaners unless you have backed up 1st. I changed every setting I could find (guides from reddit compiled in a thread here somewhere). I can only comment on going the upgrade path and not keeping any files or settings. I wouldn't recommend installing any Win7 software, try and find Win8 Drivers. Apart from that I'm not too sure. Will update if I encounter anything similar.
Good luck :)

Reactions: mromutt

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
Touch Wood. I have had no issues whatsoever.
I upgraded from Windows 7 and everything is working fine for me. I'm slightly surprised...

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Touch Wood. I have had no issues whatsoever.
I upgraded from Windows 7 and everything is working fine for me. I'm slightly surprised...
same boat here, I have upgraded many systems now both windows 8 and 7 without issue.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Still waiting on a PS/2 dongle to see how badly borked my main computer is. Currently, I've had issues when trying to upgrade from 7 to 10. Once I get my computer un-borked *knocks wood* I'm just going to create a disc/USB image and go for a fresh install. The upgrade path is just too shaky for me right now.

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
Still waiting on a PS/2 dongle to see how badly borked my main computer is. Currently, I've had issues when trying to upgrade from 7 to 10. Once I get my computer un-borked *knocks wood* I'm just going to create a disc/USB image and go for a fresh install. The upgrade path is just too shaky for me right now.
I made a USB image and was going to do a clean install but it wanted a product key so i ended up doing a standard upgrade. I tried my Win 7 key and it was having none of it, am I being really dumb here?

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Hey guys I just have to ask, those here that have had issues did you force your upgrade? or did you get the popup saying its ready for install?

Forgot your password?