Would you CCU an Orion to a Pioneer?

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
Thats assuming thats an upgrade path. I imagine it will be.
I really want both but I am coming to the conclusion that there are just so many hours in a day/week that I will be able to play. Maybe better to help out the org as a crewman on someone elses ship rather than trying to find a crew for my own.
That said, I can see a more profitable future, with respect to time spent in game, with a Pioneer over an Orion. I imagine there will be a rather large need for habitats in the verse. A demand that may be large for quite some time actually. Without knowing more about the mechanics of the Pioneer play its a bit hard to decide.
Perhaps unmelting the Orion later would be an option.. but unmelted ships still retain their LTI I think so this is a way to get into a Pioneer right now.
So what do you think .. would you melt your Orion to help finance the purchase of a Pioneer?

Reactions: StdDev and supitza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My thought is (basically) "No":
1. If you aren't hurting for money, you could have both, and then "rent" one out to an org mate. CIG has stated that this is a viable way of earning UEC, I'll dig up the reference.
2. We are still so early in the game, you may not know what *you* really want to do in the 'verse, if you have both you can try both out and see which you like better;
3. If you are hurting for money, you could easily sell one or the other, or both. They say the Pioneer will be limited in quantity, so I don't think you will have a problem selling it (or the Orion) at a later date.

Note that if you CCU the Orion to the Pioneer, you won't really have all these options available to you.

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
True .. but if I melt the Orion I can later unmelt it.
I just melted some ships that were anniversary editions..
I didnt melt the Orion.
I have enuff store credit to get the Pioneer.. if I am lucky enuff to actually get one. If I do I simply ccu a few ships to get the LTI versions I want.. then unmelt the others if I absolutely must have them all back.. not likely.
I may melt the Orion to get an Endeavor tho .. lol.. this game is so complicated right now.

Reactions: StdDev and supitza

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Keep the Orion. 1. It looks be the large miner and there should be a medium miner at some point, so keep the Orion and it's greatness. 2. The Pioneer is probably the start of the pioneering ships and there should be others or other methods of building habs later. 3. I foresee the Pioneer having limited use compared to exploration, salvage and mining ships, so why blow a bundle on something that will probably slightly less useful than an Eclipse? 4. Considering how much the Pioneers cost and their rarity, you should be able to buy one grey market for not too high a markup if you change your mind later. 5. I could be WILDLY wrong, and usually am, about all of this.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Amount of shooty ships: Loads, and the Polaris is below the Idris, Javelin, Bengal, all the Vanduul cap ships, whatever cap ships other species get... in short, the Polaris is nice but it 'aint gonna be all that.

Amount of mining ships: 2. Onion and Prospector.

Keep hold of that Onion, it'll shit all over the prospector which may well be about small loads of high value ore whereas the Onion will nom up a 'roid and get the high value ore, plus all the other ores too.

Also, you'll have the fun of testing the Onions mining laser on cap ships. What if it turns out to be the most powerful weapon in the game but requires getting into a range of less than 200m? You'll have to fight to get there, but no javelin is coming at an Onion if it is pointing at it. one thing is for sure, the laser on a mining ship is never going to overheat. They run and run and run.

In short, it really is too early to tell... but i'd think mining lasers are going to be super strength but super short range. In the hands of the right captain they'll be telling tales of you for years to come if you take out a ship with an Onion in battle.

EDIT - But it really does depend on your play style. Remember, mining is not yet in the game, with an Onion it could be the work of 30 mins to bring home the Mother Load other players have located for you to go nom up. I'm going to be humpin' boxes around the 'Verse myself, because thats what I had most fun doing in X2 (I started the last level of the main story mode in a ship that would not actually fit where you had to fly to in the level, I did that well trading) and although i'll play other parts of SC for sure, cargo running'll be my main play style.

If you're a miner, mine. If you are a Hauler, haul. If you are a defender, defend. If you are a cold blooded murderer... um... i'd calm down a bit if you are a cold blooded murderer...

Last edited:

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I really want both but I am coming to the conclusion that there are just so many hours in a day/week that I will be able to play. Maybe better to help out the org as a crewman on someone elses ship rather than trying to find a crew for my own.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. For each of us hoarding huge ships, there are maybe 20 people in TEST with just an Aurora who will gladly crew on the bigger ships.
The Orion is a nice ship. We don't know about the Pioneer yet. It's up to you to figure out if you like the Pioneer for ~$500 more.

Reactions: Bambooza and StdDev

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Thats assuming thats an upgrade path. I imagine it will be.
That said, I can see a more profitable future, with respect to time spent in game, with a Pioneer over an Orion. I imagine there will be a rather large need for habitats in the verse. A demand that may be large for quite some time actually. Without knowing more about the mechanics of the Pioneer play its a bit hard to decide.
Perhaps unmelting the Orion later would be an option.. but unmelted ships still retain their LTI I think so this is a way to get into a Pioneer right now.
So what do you think .. would you melt your Orion to help finance the purchase of a Pioneer?
Nonsense! I will never rid myself of the Orion.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?