would you put this in your living room? In the office? In the lab?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I'd use one in my office, but i'm not sure I'd be able to overcome my aversion to full size touch screens. Back when I had to support employees on the floor, I used to lose my mind when I would see them touch monitors with their disgusting fingers to point out errors.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Dunno how i feel about this one, I like being able to choose a lot of things having to do with my PC, especially when it comes to peripherals.
I'm in the same boat at @Printimus if it had changeable keyboards etc then yes a lot higher chance i would get it. Also i would want 1 seamless monitor vice 3 seperate ones.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm in the same boat at @Printimus if it had changeable keyboards etc then yes a lot higher chance i would get it. Also i would want 1 seamless monitor vice 3 seperate ones.
I totally get this. For me, it's actually a work related issue, so I can write off the expense of the solution... assuming I felt like paying $4500 or so for a solution that's worth under $1000 of you don't need the desk. I still like it, but I wouldn't buy it. It's the 3 monitors I need.

If you can't do that, then there is always this device which solves a lot of the same issues.
https://www.samsung.com/sg/monitors/curved-c49j89/
This one is $1500 or so though, but it has viable competition in the lower price ranges.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Reactions: Sirus7264

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you can't do that, then there is always this device which solves a lot of the same issues.
https://www.samsung.com/sg/monitors/curved-c49j89/
This one is $1500 or so though, but it has viable competition in the lower price ranges.
I have seen them as low as $800 but you'll certainly not get them at that price in this season.

And there are others:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIOTEK-SUW49C-49-Ultrawide-1800R-Curved-Gaming-Monitor-32-9-3840x1080P-144Hz/292880673274?hash=item44310c69fa:g:SvMAAOSwsqdcG6KZ:rk:2:pf:0

I'm wondering what sort of graphics card(s) you need tor un three of these for a 180* view out the cockpit. Methinks the cards could cost more than the monitor.

Reactions: Vavrik

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
In short yes,
When I started work in the 80's, we did not use computers, we used ink, carbon paper and typewriters. Looking back now it seems crap, But the good thing was that because admin took longer we did not do as much, and no one could keep tabs on how hard you worked. Only girls could type back then as the shitty education system made them, do lessons in shorthand and typing, Boys did not do that but I wish I had now.

Things moved on and about 15 years ago at work I had a 19 inch screen a $5 mouse that never broke and 100 people shared a photocopier, but I was the only person who realised that you needed to put paper in it and remove jammed paper from it.

I went into the IT department about 10 years ago ( as they did not ever answer the phone) and the IT guy who was both really clever but also easy to confuse and scam had two screens, I asked him how it worked and scammed him for another screen.

I few months later he had three screens, but as I had educated him I did not, get a third.

At my home right now I have 3 screens.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
In short yes,
When I started work in the 80's, we did not use computers, we used ink, carbon paper and typewriters. Looking back now it seems crap, But the good thing was that because admin took longer we did not do as much, and no one could keep tabs on how hard you worked. Only girls could type back then as the shitty education system made them, do lessons in shorthand and typing, Boys did not do that but I wish I had now.

Things moved on and about 15 years ago at work I had a 19 inch screen a $5 mouse that never broke and 100 people shared a photocopier, but I was the only person who realised that you needed to put paper in it and remove jammed paper from it.

I went into the IT department about 10 years ago ( as they did not ever answer the phone) and the IT guy who was both really clever but also easy to confuse and scam had two screens, I asked him how it worked and scammed him for another screen.

I few months later he had three screens, but as I had educated him I did not, get a third.

At my home right now I have 3 screens.
Yeah, the memories of carbon paper are not fond memories. The worst part was I graduated in '83 with a technology degree, and worked for a large computer system manufacturer. No names to protect the innocent, or the guilty as the case may be - and for what it's worth, I'm still not entirely sure which of those terms described my role. Nevertheless, we used carbon paper or its descendents until '89. All I can say for sure is, once we figured out how to do digital signatures, we didn't need carbon paper any more. It took a lot longer for that to sink in elsewhere... but some Governments were as tired of carbon paper as we were.

Reactions: Rear_Intruder
Forgot your password?